Internet shopping vs "actual" shopping

I prefer going out into the shop and seeing the goods before buying, usually because online shopping has been a nightmare for me the sizes have come out wrong, colour has come out different with clothing items. And plus you have some one off offers in store!

I wonder if anyone has had issues with ordering groceries on line. One of my friends used to order his elderly mothers groceries on line and had to give it up because they sent substitute items she didn't want, and when he tried another one they were sending stuff over its sell by date?

my advice would be get out and buy a little bit of snow will throw Royal Mail/DHL/TNT etc into chaos I worked as a postman for years and when it snowed bad the other year it was absolute chaotic I was delivering items that had been dispatched on 30th Nov in January. Its a snowball effect...

See what you did there?

I'v done most of mine online although for the 1st time I'v gone for doing all my Christmas food shopping. From Tesco online, I can't be going round food shopping and getting banged into and ushe'd about, so Tesco has got my food order this yr,

I prefer actual shopping now. I used to order off Next quite a lot but stuff was coming that looked so different to how it did online I was having to send it back. I'd sooner just have a look at something in store now. Also, one of my favourite shops H&M charge £4 for delivery whatever you buy and you can't have it delivered to store. Seen as the majority of things I buy are kids clothes I resent buying something for £10 and paying £4 on top of that to get the damn thing! It doesn't cost me that in petrol to get to M'hall. I really really wish Boden had more stores and weren't predominantly online, that's my favourite place to shop!

I've just bought a couple of books as Christmas presents, I can't really see how they can go wrong with them :hihi: and they were free delivery. I also purchased some Yaktrax online.

Normally, I'd rather buy in store rather than pay a delivery charge, but if I want something specific, I'd rather buy online and make sure I get what I want rather than pay the bus fare into town or Meadowhall and then not find it and therefore have a wasted journey.

A bit of both for me. Like to do some research online to get some ideas and then look to buy locally.

Click and collect is our favoured method of shopping

I like to know it's in stock I online, but can't be faffed with waiting in for deliveries, or faffing at the sorting office. I like to inspect goods on collection so problems can be rectified before taking the item home, instead of incurring postal charges, and more waiting

---------- Post added 13-12-2012 at 22:22 ----------

One day, a courier will suss that a unit somewhere like drakehouse will be more efficient and effective for them than doorstep delivery. You'd be able to nominate their address for your online order, and pick up after work or at the weekend, or any other time that suits

How many sheffielders will be or have been doing their christmas shopping online this year? Or are you the king of person that likes to see before you buy?

I have just opened a small shop in a localish area and internet sales are far surpassing shop sales which got me thinking about the future of local businesses. So if the options were a full day at meadowhell to xmas shop or online and pay postage costs which would you do????? :huh:

<REMOVED>

Neither! I shop online and collect in store where possible. I can't be bothered to drive to depots on random industrial estates in different towns to collect parcels and I want to leave a shop as soon as possible.

John lewis generally for me too! Get in shop, walk immediately to collect area, show number, leave shop-perfect!

Edited by llamatron

I wonder if anyone has had issues with ordering groceries on line. One of my friends used to order his elderly mothers groceries on line and had to give it up because they sent substitute items she didn't want, and when he tried another one they were sending stuff over its sell by date?

Never have any problems with Sainsbury's, only issue I ever had was getting some eggs which were cracked and sending them back for refund. Why didn't your friend just tick the box that says "no substitutions"? Problem solved.

In answer to the original question, all my shopping is online. Everything delivered to work so no hassles in collecting it. Despise actual shopping, the crowds, the dreadful Xmas tunes and the whinging kids.

Online where ever possible, if I could fuel the van up via a telephone socket I would :D Though some a chugging the cars up via their electrickery now aren't they? :/