Peace Gardens,Sheffield

lilaclover

It's a water feature for people sit and admire whilst taking their lunch or seeking a moment of peace from their hectic lives, not an extension on Ponds Forge swimming baths! Anything of any decorum or taste soon gets trashed once the Sheffielder has his hands on it

So, now it's trashed they won't be running through it any more. Problem solved.

Yes. You had to keep off the grass then. St.Paul's parade ran alongside which had the standard measures in the wall (now moved to the town hall side). Me and my mate, Vernon Nash, would go to ballroom dancing classes at Alfie Gold's school of dancing on a Friday night. This was on the top floor of St Paul's Chambers. There were these twin sisters who used to come to the classes from Stocksbridge, who we quite fancied. We walked them to catch their last bus which went from Campo Lane.

After they dumped us, we gradually lost interest in the dance classes and went down to the Minerva Tavern to watch Vance Arnold & the Avengers perform. Vance Arnold was the drummer, but his real name was JOE COCKER.

Yes. You had to keep off the grass then. St.Paul's parade ran alongside which had the standard measures in the wall (now moved to the town hall side). Me and my mate, Vernon Nash, would go to ballroom dancing classes at Alfie Gold's school of dancing on a Friday night. This was on the top floor of St Paul's Chambers. There were these twin sisters who used to come to the classes from Stocksbridge, who we quite fancied. We walked them to catch their last bus which went from Campo Lane.

After they dumped us, we gradually lost interest in the dance classes and went down to the Minerva Tavern to watch Vance Arnold & the Avengers perform. Vance Arnold was the drummer, but his real name was JOE COCKER.

My Bold=

I was wondering where the measures had gone last time I was walking through so thanks for that info.

• 4 weeks later...
During the summer its like Skegness sea front with hoards of kids running about in the fountain! I'm sure that was never the intention it be used like that when they were planning it?

Planners plan , abusers abuse ,users use .Nothing is as it is intended . How lovely to see people relaxing in a City centre . PEACE

I've always associated the Peace Gardens with having drinkers outside them, for donkeys years; it's not a new thing surely.

it isnt, i used to hang around there drinking from about 1987 with the winos, rockers and assorted ner do wells ;)

The fountains in the peace gardens, along with those outside the train station, and elsewhere too were all dreamt up and installed around the same time as a strategy to improve air quality in the city centre. I remember Sheffield in the eighties as a diesel smog hell hole where everything was black and dirty from traffic grime. The supertram was part of the same strategy, as is the re-routing of buses to avoid the generation of diesel soot in the bottom of the bowl created by Sheffield's seven hills

The fountains are performing exactly as intended. If parents see fit to take their kids there in summer instead of them getting up to no good on the estates, that's a bonus

Post war the city needed a space for quiet reflection. It has different needs now, and this space has been adapted admirably to serve those needs

It's a water feature for people sit and admire whilst taking their lunch or seeking a moment of peace from their hectic lives, not an extension on Ponds Forge swimming baths! Anything of any decorum or taste soon gets trashed once the Sheffielder has his hands on it

I haven't seen any sign of it being trashed, stop being miserable. You were a child once, decorum taken the place of fun? We used to have water bottle fights with kids and adults in paddling pools at Rivelin and on our street in the summer. Wheres the harm? You'd be better taking issue with the litter louts who do defile the city centre

When I was at school, the Peace Gardens was an area of grassland, with roses, footpaths, and loadc of benches to sit on, and, PEACEFUL was what it was. Anyone remember?

Yes I remember it was much better than it is now.