Peace Gardens,Sheffield

When I was at school, the Peace Gardens was an area of grassland, with roses, footpaths, and loadc of benches to sit on, and, PEACEFUL was what it was. Anyone remember?

Today it is a haven for street drinkers and the homeless

shore has who ever... good lord... us older folk :( hase they are at the mow the

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 10:42 ----------

shore has who ever... good lord... us older folk :( hase they are at the mow the

one,s nice garden,s are now cold.

Edited by Trekker

Really? You haven't been recently have you? It was much more a a street drinkers hang out prior to the transformation.

Edited by GrapeApe

Spent many, many saturday afternoons sitting on the grass with the rock/biker types

I've always associated the Peace Gardens with having drinkers outside them, for donkeys years; it's not a new thing surely.

During the summer its like Skegness sea front with hoards of kids running about in the fountain! I'm sure that was never the intention it be used like that when they were planning it?

During the summer its like Skegness sea front with hoards of kids running about in the fountain! I'm sure that was never the intention it be used like that when they were planning it?

It's a fountain and kids like running in it. It's also free. Where's the problem?

It's a fountain and kids like running in it. It's also free. Where's the problem?

It's a water feature for people sit and admire whilst taking their lunch or seeking a moment of peace from their hectic lives, not an extension on Ponds Forge swimming baths! Anything of any decorum or taste soon gets trashed once the Sheffielder has his hands on it

It's a water feature for people sit and admire whilst taking their lunch or seeking a moment of peace from their hectic lives, not an extension on Ponds Forge swimming baths! Anything of any decorum or taste soon gets trashed once the Sheffielder has his hands on it

Anyone with an ounce of sense can surely see that the fountain is designed to be run through and played in?

So, now it's trashed they won't be running through it any more. Problem solved.

Yes. You had to keep off the grass then. St.Paul's parade ran alongside which had the standard measures in the wall (now moved to the town hall side). Me and my mate, Vernon Nash, would go to ballroom dancing classes at Alfie Gold's school of dancing on a Friday night. This was on the top floor of St Paul's Chambers. There were these twin sisters who used to come to the classes from Stocksbridge, who we quite fancied. We walked them to catch their last bus which went from Campo Lane.

After they dumped us, we gradually lost interest in the dance classes and went down to the Minerva Tavern to watch Vance Arnold & the Avengers perform. Vance Arnold was the drummer, but his real name was JOE COCKER.