The Ryknield Way

Hi

I need a favour.....I think I have found about 1 and a half kilometres of the Ryknield roman road, east of sheffield. And I want to try and get as much info about the route between chesterfield and rotherham as possible, to see if I can find more of it.

Can anyone help?

Pastscape has two references concerning the possible routes of Ryknield Street between Chesterfield and Templeborough:

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1047415

RR 18e Roman Road. Ryknild Street. Chesterfield - Rotherham.

RR 18ee Roman Road. New Whittington - Rotherham.

From Chesterfield there seem to be two possible routes:

RR 18e, west of the Rother valley running due north through New Whittington, passing west of Eckington to Ford and Ridgeway, where a slight turn to the north-east, followed the present road to High Lane

The route then takes the road just west of Woodhouse to Orgreave and Catcliffe on to Bonewood Moor and the east side of Brinsworth village. The road was traced on Bonewood Moor as large stones, 26 feet wide. On Brinsworth golf course it was made up of gravel upon a heavy stone foundation, 24 feet wide and had a layer of rammed clay beneath. The road was traced as far as the clubhouse, pointing towards Ickles, a little east of Templeborough fort (SK 49 SW 7) near where the RR 710c road must have crossed the route. A continuation of Ryknild Street beyond Templeborough is very uncertain.

RR 18ee would run through Eckington and along the present ridgeway road to Beighton where remains of a road consisting of stone paving 18 inches below the surface, were found when the railway was being constructed. The name Streetfield to the south of Mosborough is significant. Having crossed the Rother valley here, it seems likely that this route would have continued north through Aughton and Guilthwaite direct to Rotherham, following roads and tracks, some of which mark parish boundaries. (1)

Would you care to share the location of your findings? Does it fit with the above info?

The second option fits very nicely in places

Edited by hitch_1980

The second option fits very nicely in places

Care to elaborate? :)