Windows 8 upgrade offer

I have had 0 issues with win8 and I'm running it on a 3 year old net top.

Acre revo.

1.6 CPU single core

4gb ram 3 usable

Nvidia ion graphics card

Runs flawless, as for mse security it works no problem.

2 were printer issues, both usb wired, the win7 drivers wouldn't work and no newer ones were available via win updates, maybe there's a compatibility mode but why bother trying to fix something that isn't broke, ie win7.

---------- Post added 10-12-2012 at 00:29 ----------

Edited by harestone

I use an epson wifi printer which works fine, can't comment on a USB one.

I'm on Windows 7 premium if I upgrade to 8 will i lose all my stuff like music pics etc?

I'm on Windows 7 premium if I upgrade to 8 will i lose all my stuff like music pics etc?

Always back up no matter what.

Yup, always back up, though i guess 8 would leave you with a windows.old file. ?

Yup, always back up, though i guess 8 would leave you with a windows.old file. ?

You would be correct.

Yes, it does leave you with Windows.old so if you haven't backed up it is all in there. Trouble is that it winds up being a very big folder because it includes more than just the personal files. I reformatted yesterday and it was about 29GB (Vista). Needs to be removed with disk cleanup. I can quite understand why folk go back to W7 or whatever - it really is awful when you first see it. I almost reached for the Vista disk myself this morning. However, I have read that it takes a while to get used to it but many people find it OK once they have. On the plus side it's quite snappy and lighter on resources - my ancient laptop has taken it on board really well and is more responsive.

It's going to be the way forward so might as well get used to it.

well just run the tool and get this

it dosent like my touch screen

"If you have touch input hardware that isn't specifically designed for Windows 8, but is compliant with Windows 7 certification, you will experience touch responsiveness at least as good as it was on Windows 7. Because Windows 8 touch requires a higher degree of responsiveness and precision"

plus another 10 compatibility issues

1 is my view cam that can be updated for a fee

windows live essentials and windows live sign in (both microsoft) both require an update for a fee and microsoft security essentials must be uninstalled as it dosent work with 8

not so sure now, think ill have another search for info

thanks ken

Windows 8 installs "Windows Defender" that is the replacement for Microsoft Security Essentials.

The user interface is almost identical.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/windows-defender#1TC=t1

i thought 7 had both

but the touchscreen message as put me off for the moment

thanks ken

i thought 7 had both

but the touchscreen message as put me off for the moment

thanks ken

It sort of does, though you have to download MSE, which then turns Defender off.

I personally know 3 people who have reverted back to 7 after trying 8.

Well here is the fourth. I have just reformatted back to the original Vista as I had just had enough of W8. With the new installation the laptop is working great and as I am one of those who didn't hate Vista it's no hardship. I didn't give W8 much chance but I know that I will just not get on with it so have cut my losses. Just doing all the updates now. It's a relief to be back to normal.

I personally know 3 people who have reverted back to 7 after trying 8. currently i wouldn't touch it if it was free with all the issues it carries on anything but the latest hardware.

Absolutely no issues here... on my main PC, my 4 year old laptop and my parent's 2 year old laptop.