Rodding an internal soil pipe

Can anyone help please?

I've got an issue with a single bathroom in our house, mainly that it smells of sewers over time.

I've checked all traps, etc and there are no immediate blockages in the system.

I've lifted manhole cover where soil leaves property and got the missus to flush the toilets upstairs. The flow is noticeably slow through the drain.

I've tried plunging the toilet concerned but I don't think it's had much effect.

The waste pipe is single stack internal, venting in the loft space ( I will be going up there tomorrow once I have a ladder ) with a tile vent. I'm not sure if it is fitted with a one way vent or not.

I'm thinking the stack is either partially blocked or the tube which the toilets flush in to has blocked just before it goes vertical.

Basically, if I want to rod the drain how can I go about it? Do I put drain rods down from the toilet? Up from the man hole?

Alternatively, what about pressure blasting the system? can any local companies give me a quote?

Rod from the man hole,,that should do it,lee,s6

Can anyone help please?

I've got an issue with a single bathroom in our house, mainly that it smells of sewers over time.

I've checked all traps, etc and there are no immediate blockages in the system.

I've lifted manhole cover where soil leaves property and got the missus to flush the toilets upstairs. The flow is noticeably slow through the drain.

I've tried plunging the toilet concerned but I don't think it's had much effect.

The waste pipe is single stack internal, venting in the loft space ( I will be going up there tomorrow once I have a ladder ) with a tile vent. I'm not sure if it is fitted with a one way vent or not.

I'm thinking the stack is either partially blocked or the tube which the toilets flush in to has blocked just before it goes vertical.

Basically, if I want to rod the drain how can I go about it? Do I put drain rods down from the toilet? Up from the man hole?

Alternatively, what about pressure blasting the system? can any local companies give me a quote?

You will have an air admittance valve at the head of the soil pipe if it finishes in the loft space.I would remove and inspect to see if the valve retracts.They can be bought for about £10-15 from Screwfix etc.

Sorry, but after reading the thread title, I had to have a chuckle :hihi:

Perhaps could have been worded better. Oh well. :D

So more messing around with it this weekend leads me to believe that the soil pipe leading to the vertical stack is partially blocked.

I'm intending on buying an toilet auger to see if it is a blockage in the bog itself, but it seems unlikely as they flush as per normal. The water does go brown with some little bits in over time as I had it suggested to me to put some caustic soda down the toilet to clear the blockage, it has done something to loosen the blockage because the water didn't get go brown previously but still not completely solved.

So I think the question now is, how much and how easy is it to stick a high pressure hose down the bog and try to blast this infernal blockage out of my soil system?

I understand caustic soda is more for gutting through the grease and fat you may find in the kitchen waste. Sulphuric acid would break through any buildups but I think it reacts with caustic soda. You are wearing ppe?

If the top of the stack is freely ventilating, The best solution for you would be to disconnect the pan from the soil pipe and see if something is misaligned or if there is a blockage. I would recommend you call in a pro. Plumbers rates aren't as high as they used to be.