Metal detectorhi im lookin for a metal detector

My aims are for a roman road, so there maybe some coins etc. Other are enclosures...which maybe animal, maybe habitation, maybe even ritual lol

My aims are for a roman road, so there maybe some coins etc. Other are enclosures...which maybe animal, maybe habitation, maybe even ritual lol

So your road crop mark shows ditches either side then. How far do they run

?

Always wanted to start metal detecting as a hobby. Watched a guy last summer down in Ayr. He was detecting about half a mile from the sea,where the old sail ships used to dock in port. He was in shallow water and forever bending down to pick something up. His gains where anything from coins from Cromwell times (there's a citadel close by where Cromwells troops where stationed)) to a gold ring which he reckoned was from the 1980s.

So always interesting stuff..

I like Ayr, have you been to Somerset Park?

Edited by Stan Tamudo

So your road crop mark shows ditches either side then. How far do they run

?

It was a dry summer and is only shown as a long straight white line. I maybe wrong of course, but my amateur interpretation is of a roman road. There was also a simple excavation many many years ago which discovered a roman road in the area, cant pin point that excavation though at the moment.

I like Ayr, have you been to Somerton Park?

I lived literally 5 mins walk from Ayr FC.

Pretty run down now though. About 5 years ago they were going to build a new stadium about 2miles away,but the recession hit.

Ayr has gone downhill over the last 5 years. The main shopping high street is full of ten bob shops etc:

Still, saying that, Ayrshire has fab scenery. I prefer Prestwick (the home of open golf) which is sandwiched between Ayr and Troon.

Oh, sorry (didn't answer your question)

No, not been there to watch a game. I was always hoping the owls would get a pre season friendly there. They did play one up the road at Kilmarnock though. Which i couldn't attend.

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

I lived literally 5 mins walk from Ayr FC.

Pretty run down now though. About 5 years ago they were going to build a new stadium about 2miles away,but the recession hit.

Ayr has gone downhill over the last 5 years. The main shopping high street is full of ten bob shops etc:

Still, saying that, Ayrshire has fab scenery. I prefer Prestwick (the home of open golf) which is sandwiched between Ayr and Troon.

Oh, sorry (didn't answer your question)

No, not been there to watch a game. I was always hoping the owls would get a pre season friendly there. They did play one up the road at Kilmarnock though. Which i couldn't attend.

It's Ayr United.

It's Ayr United.
:

Being an owls fan i tend to drop the united bit.:D

Looking for places?!?! ... Walk about the barras in Scotland you will find many precious metals in the guise as knifes. Many of which are solid silver melt down and you will have a few quid.

I have just started this carry on. So far I have been out three times, my finds have been mostly coins and the odd bit of rubbish. My machine can tell the difference between metals and how deep they are.

My aim is to find ancient sites but at the moment I am still learning how to use the darn thing :hihi:

It is amazing though how the most unlikely bit of land throws up loads of stuff.

In time as I get better it will become really good, at first I thought it was a bit nerdy but now realise it's serious stuff and worthwhile.

I've always quite fancied a go at this but know nothing about it - what model did you get andrejuan? Anybody else got any recommendations?

I'd also love to get into this... This was found about half a mile from my house. My whole village was obviously a very busy place in Roman times - it is not unknown for people to dig up Roman items in their gardens.

This isn't the first big find either - in the 1930s a hoard of 100 coins was found at the other end of the village.

I find it fascinating that these coins or items could be left undisturbed for hundreds of years, through the Middle Ages, the Civil War, the Industrial Revolution, two World Wars and goodness knows how many people living in the village... How did they get there?

Edited by Andy

I've always quite fancied a go at this but know nothing about it - what model did you get andrejuan? Anybody else got any recommendations?

This is the one I got, it seemed to get very good reviews on detecting sites.

http://www.joanallen.co.uk/minelab-xterra-505-metal-detector-p/10383.htm