The Arctic Monkeys megathread

ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music  

278 members have voted

1. 1. ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music

• New and original Band who will be THE sound of 2006
    • Disposable Oasis rip-off crap with no talent whatsoever
    • Pretentious non-original superhyped rubbish that will last less than 1 year
    • The Greatest band to come out of Sheffield....EVER
    • Other Sheffield bands, past and present have much more talent
    • Never heard of the Arctic Monkeys

Isn't that somewhat hypocritical coming from someone who recently started a thread saying we should treat music on its merits and ignore the hype?

For what its worth, I think the Arctic Monkeys are well worth the hype (is there such a thing as over-hype?) and if they never make another decent record, they've still managed to enrich my world far more than 99.99% of acts. Thanks also to NME for making sure I became aware of them.

They have really strong echoes of The Undertones, or is that just me?

Agree with that Tricky, there are definite 'undertones' of the Undertones. Being an old punk they were a favourite band of mine along with their fellow Ulsterman SLF.

I have tickets for the Shedmill on 21st April and I am looking forward to it...

Agree with that Tricky, there are definite 'undertones' of the Undertones. Being an old punk they were a favourite band of mine along with their fellow Ulsterman SLF.

I have tickets for the Shedmill on 21st April and I am looking forward to it...

At last! A man with impeccable music taste! :)

Congrats on managing to get tickets for the gig - I'm sure you're in for a treat and a half :thumbsup:

StarSparkle

Last night's gig. Whilst Alex Turner is known for his lack of words, I didn't expect that there would be none apart from, "You enjoying yourselves? We are."

He looked completely expressionless - as if he was there just to do a job and then go home, like some one working alone packing nuts and bolts into packages. Looked gaunt and tired and like a rabbit in the headlights. He was either very stoned or is ill! He was slurring when he spoke to Nick.

The music was excellent, the lack of band interaction with the crowd was the only spoiler. The Astoria gig on last week's Radio 1 definitely sounded better. Perhaps they were saving themselves for tonight's gig?

Ah so this is why the leadmill was full of idiots last night..

Last night's gig. Whilst Alex Turner is known for his lack of words, I didn't expect that there would be none apart from, "You enjoying yourselves? We are."

He looked completely expressionless - as if he was there just to do a job and then go home, like some one working alone packing nuts and bolts into packages. Looked gaunt and tired and like a rabbit in the headlights. He was either very stoned or is ill! He was slurring when he spoke to Nick.

The music was excellent, the lack of band interaction with the crowd was the only spoiler. The Astoria gig on last week's Radio 1 definitely sounded better. Perhaps they were saving themselves for tonight's gig?

i agree edna

i was expecting some home town banter but apart from the few sparing words he seemed very withdrawn, having said that id put it down to burnout.

Still a banging night though! and my chest and head now feels like someone has been stood on them all week:help:

It seems to me they've been working too hard - and certainly Alex sounds like he's just about run out of steam. I can't believe they're off on another American tour in a week or so for about 3 weeks. They are going to be so exhausted - touring America is not kind to young bands.

What they need is a good, long break so they can come back refreshed and enthused in a few months' time - NOT having been working on album no.3 in the meantime. I think the management needs to take a bit better care of them.

StarSparkle

The Astoria gig on last week's Radio 1 definitely sounded better. Perhaps they were saving themselves for tonight's gig?

That might have had something to do with the Leadmill's sound system. Is it always that bad? I could hardly make out what each of the bands was singing.

There were quite a few idiots in last night though, trying to cause crushes by surging. I started off nearly the front and middle but quickly got pushed out to the sides as all the lunatics charged in.

You could see that Alex was p***ed off by the morons throwing water at him

Still for all its faults it was an good night out. I really enjoyed the expression on a crowd surfers' face when someone removed both of his shoes and threw them away.

That might have had something to do with the Leadmill's sound system. Is it always that bad? I could hardly make out what each of the bands was singing.

There were quite a few idiots in last night though, trying to cause crushes by surging. I started off nearly the front and middle but quickly got pushed out to the sides as all the lunatics charged in.

You could see that Alex was p***ed off by the morons throwing water at him

Still for all its faults it was an good night out. I really enjoyed the expression on a crowd surfers' face when someone removed both of his shoes and threw them away.

Yeah the Leadmill is in need of a new system, has been for ages - but I just think the lack of crowd interaction was more to blame. Noones commented on the official website about it.

I thought the crowd surges were quite subdued last night tbh - I've been in worse! I managed to more or less stand my ground in my spot:cool:

Weird that you mention losing shoes. I had a conversation with this couple who both said that they'd managed to lose their shoes at the last 'secret' gig, the girl cutting her feet so badly that she'd had to go to hospital and that it was almost a trophy to do so now! I then showed my age by mentioning that I'd lost one of my shoes at my first ever gig - The Housemartins to which the lovely young lad said in all innocence - who are The Housemartins? :confused: Oh dear!!!

I was glass collecting at last night gig and it was horrible :( Altho, I apologise for anyone I may have barged into trying to get through the crowd! I thought it was an ok gig, but yea, they could have made some effort to get the crowd going. And yes, ladies, wear sensible shoes at gigs! Theres SO much glass on the floor, and you never know what you could catch..

Enjoy the gig whoever is gonna be there tonight as well!

I was glass collecting at last night gig and it was horrible :( Altho, I apologise for anyone I may have barged into trying to get through the crowd! I thought it was an ok gig, but yea, they could have made some effort to get the crowd going. And yes, ladies, wear sensible shoes at gigs! Theres SO much glass on the floor, and you never know what you could catch..

Enjoy the gig whoever is gonna be there tonight as well!

Nikki that was a really good idea to have the plastic glasses last night. It seemed to keep the Ledders less scuzzy.

Although the same can't be said for the toilets:o worst I've seen them since they used to be downstairs in the eighties and get flooded every week!

Alex hardly ever says much at gigs... they're just not a chatty kind of band.

The new album is amazing! I've had it on repeat since I got it... sounds wierd on the few couple of listens but its a real grower and theres some fantastic tunes on there... my favs are "Do me a favour" and "505".