The Arctic Monkeys megathread

ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music  

278 members have voted

1. 1. ARCTIC MONKEYS....your opinion on the music

• New and original Band who will be THE sound of 2006
    • Disposable Oasis rip-off crap with no talent whatsoever
    • Pretentious non-original superhyped rubbish that will last less than 1 year
    • The Greatest band to come out of Sheffield....EVER
    • Other Sheffield bands, past and present have much more talent
    • Never heard of the Arctic Monkeys

Originally posted by tara

my my spoilt for choice.lol

I pm'd Sheffbag at 10 am this moring, just forgot to put it on link, not got back to me yet though, Obviously doesn't want the Jack sparrow version :hihi:

Many many thanks all - i have only just come back on and replied to all. My pop up informing me of new messages didnt come up last time so i didnt realise people had pm'd me.

once again thanks for the repsonse and if anyone is ok with what i have rpelied with then let me know

you forumsters RULE!

thats sheff forum for you, i log back in and it tells me i have a new pm, only to find its all the ones i have already opened.

Matt - Can you pm me please, you never indicated which GT news you meant and i wandered round all 4 looking for you.

Tara - many thanks !

Does the group The Arctic Monkeys come from Sheffield?

Originally posted by BoroughGal

Yes. High Green and Hillsborough. Why?

They are very good. Witty lyrics. Original. Like how they sing with our regional accent & dialect Infinitly betterm than the hyped up mediocre, emmbarasing Pulp.

At leeds festival they announnced they were from Rotherham........i think, could be wrong though

Originally posted by Tim42

They are very good. Witty lyrics. Original. Like how they sing with our regional accent & dialect Infinitly betterm than the hyped up mediocre, emmbarasing Pulp.

In what way are (were?) Pulp hyped up in comparison to Arctic Monkeys? It took them years and years of chipping away before anybody took any notice of them. Arctic Monkeys have had more column inches this year than practically any other band in the country.

I agree,

I know a couple of people who have been in pulp. They were unloved in the sheffield scene for about 15 years before they shot to fame, thanks to John Peel and others.

Although I didn't know them in those early days they were concerned with things like performance art, and it sounds like some of their early gigs would have been frankly bizzare.

Jarvis Cocker is a songwriter who has spend most of his life writing songs, even when he was a young teenager he could put together some great lyrics in a few minutes and if you can't recognise talent like that, then that's your problem.

You can't argue that they haven't been good for sheffield and helped to put the sheffield music scene back on the map in the years when they were big.

And fair play to Jarvis for having a break from it, rather than milking it for all it's worth.

Originally posted by Tim42

I agree totally with what you say about the Arctic Monkeys - take me straight back to the spirit of 1977 and that's a HUGE compliment. They've got the whole 'hairs on the back of the neck' thing going.

Most exciting band in years - good luck to them. Not that they need it at all! :thumbsup:

On the other hand, Tim42, you're completely wrong about Pulp. Jarvis Cocker is a massively talented and clever poet - some of his wordplay is absolutely sublime. Add to that his superb showmanship, and you have a Class Act that Sheffield ought to feel hugely proud of.

StarSparkle :thumbsup:

yeah, they live near me in high green.

i havn't seen them though

xxx