Roughly 1,900 women announced they are preganant today in the UK!

I don't know any of them, but I'd like to congratulate them all nonetheless.

Can't wait to see the blanket coverage on the news tonight, and tomorrow when the same will happen, and the day after, and the day after ...

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 16:50 ----------

Help - I've got me maths wrong - should be 1900 but I can't change the title!

hay thats alot of women that have been busy in the sack

The wife can't blame me for all of them but if she could she would.

That figure is absolute rubbish. If that was the case and 190,000 women a day got pregnant that would mean that about 1 million babies were born each week. Considering we only have a population of 60 odd million this would be very worrying.

It's more like 690,000 in a year so if you're averaging it out it would be more like 1930.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 17:46 ----------

Ah I see you noticed while I was writing that post. Lol.

That figure is absolute rubbish. If that was the case and 190,000 women a day got pregnant that would mean that about 1 million babies were born each week. Considering we only have a population of 60 odd million this would be very worrying.

It's more like 690,000 in a year so if you're averaging it out it would be more like 1930.

We don't want 1930 all over again.

I wonder who came up with the 190 000 total; source?

I read that 17.9% of all statistics are made-up!

The OP noticed 1 minute after he'd started the thread :)

It looks like the OP noticed the mistake some time before you posted. Be honest - you didn't read the first post did you?

ERM.....not a very well researched thread then...INNIT?:hihi::thumbsup:

I don't know any of them, but I'd like to congratulate them all nonetheless.

Can't wait to see the blanket coverage on the news tonight, and tomorrow when the same will happen, and the day after, and the day after ...

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 16:50 ----------

Help - I've got me maths wrong - should be 1900 but I can't change the title!

Aha, 1900 sounds more like it. Well calculated, Badlittlepup: almost on the spot.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 17:58 ----------

The CIA and Wikileaks between 'em [ http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_the_female_population_is_pregnant_ar_any_one_time ] have "at least 3.13% of females are pregnant, or at least 4.85% of women of roughly childbearing age" in the USA. Applying that rate to the UK gives- say- 30 000 000 divided by 365 [= 82 000] x 4.85 [= 3977] OR x 3.13% [= 2566]. Remove those of non-childbearing age and it's about 1930 again.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

Aha, 1900 sounds more like it. Well calculated, Badlittlepup: almost on the spot.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 17:58 ----------

The CIA and Wikileaks between 'em [ http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_the_female_population_is_pregnant_ar_any_one_time ] have "at least 3.13% of females are pregnant, or at least 4.85% of women of roughly childbearing age" in the USA. Applying that rate to the UK gives- say- 30 000 000 divided by 365 [= 82 000] x 4.85 [= 3977] OR x 3.13% [= 2566]. Remove those of non-childbearing age and it's about 1930 again.[/QUOT

MY POST -And allowing for the belief by doctors that a third of all pregnancies end in miscarriage, the resulting number of live births is significantly less.

There are some very odd maths going on on this thread.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_271535.pdf

There were 723,913 live births in England and Wales in 2011, increasing slightly (by 0.1 per cent)

from 723,165 in 2010

There were a further 59870 births in Scotland

As it takes around 40 weeks to produce a baby from conception to birth that would indicate around 600,000 women are pregnant in the UK at any one time, and around 2150 learn that they are pregnant each day.

Edited by Riannon

You would have thought that while they were changing the title that they would have taken the extra A out of pregAnant. :hihi::hihi::hihi: