Students ignore firefighters pleas to evacuate a building on fire

Bit harsh?

Darwinian selection at it's finest in my opinion :hihi:

Why are people surprised , we have recently seen people drive past road closed signs in the flood, it is usual for people to ignore road closed signs and try and sqeeze past road accidents in cars .

Used to have this at my old flat in York. Converted mill, first couple of floors were student filled (some deal with the Uni I think). Constantly smoked in their flats and caused the (already sensitive) fire alarms to go off almost every 1-2 days. The Fire Brigade kept having to come out for some reason, don't know if it was because it was Grade 1 or something, and switch the alarm off. They would refuse to leave their flats when asked by the Firemen as per evacuation, and still sit there smoking so the alarms wouldn't go off. I don't know whether they kicked them to the kerb as I left as soon as I was able!

They shouldn't be allowed a choice in the matter. Or, if they refuse to come out, sign a disclaimer that no firefighter will be going back in to rescue them if the fire becomes more serious. Of course, the firefighters would probably never agree to that.

To be fair in first year accommodation the fire alarm usually go's off several times a night, the fire brigade show up from time to time but no-one ever bothers to leave.

They probably just assumed it was another false alarm, or were too ****** to understand the danger they were in.

To be fair in first year accommodation the fire alarm usually go's off several times a night, the fire brigade show up from time to time but no-one ever bothers to leave.

They probably just assumed it was another false alarm, or were too ****** to understand the danger they were in.

I think you're right to say that fire alarms lose a bit of their 'alarm' once you've heard a false one go off for the umpteenth time that week - that kind of attitude can be shown in any group of people, not just students - but the story seems to suggest firefighters were actually at the doors of these flats and still people weren't interested!

Crikey, I think when a firefighter is telling you you need to get out, then it's time to listen. Oh well, survival of the least stupid I guess, though in all seriousness we might be shaking our heads with a few less chuckles had one or two of them died because of this.

They clearly felt safe and had total belief that they would be okay and the firefighters would put it out.

Why are people surprised , we have recently seen people drive past road closed signs in the flood, it is usual for people to ignore road closed signs and try and sqeeze past road accidents in cars .

I saw one driver recently, cut across the chevron markings on the Parkway, because they either failed to notice or did not believe the big sign and cones denoting that the Mosborough exit was closed :loopy: