Bus stops sited dangerously

This one astonishes me:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.44273,-1.500589&spn=0.000013,0.013937&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.442824,-1.500029&panoid=aiWzrdZ5uWKSp-9u1Gt8DA&cbp=12,73.38,,0,0

I'm baffled as to why they put the bus stop at the point where the road narrows to a single lane.

There's a similarly sited one here:

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.386182,-1.48324&spn=0.000026,0.027874&t=m&layer=c&cbll=53.386489,-1.483176&panoid=b6YDjWi0KYZP_S4sCvXZkQ&cbp=12,179.93,,0,0&z=16

Is there some underlying reason for putting bus stops in such bizarre locations?

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious, it's to ensure drivers can't overtake the buses when they are in the stop, because that's when the people who get off the bus are sometimes hit by overtaking drivers.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 23:26 ----------

well anyone who says that they are controlled by planning lives in lala land, those last 2 are just dangerous!!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Can you articulate what you think is dangerous about them?

Not allowing other vehicles to overtake the bus while it is in the stop improves safety.

I'd have thought it was pretty obvious, it's to ensure drivers can't overtake the buses when they are in the stop, because that's when the people who get off the bus are sometimes hit by overtaking drivers

Are people no longer taught to always wait for the bus to move away before attempting to cross the road?

It's one of the things that was drummed into me as a child!

I think that when drivers are deliberately inconvenienced like this, some of them become even more determined to pass the bus at the first opportunity, to prevent further delays to their journey. So they may take risks they otherwise wouldn't have taken.

So I'm not convinced that overall road safety is improved!

Are people no longer taught to always wait for the bus to move away before attempting to cross the road?

It's one of the things that was drummed into me as a child!

I think that when drivers are deliberately inconvenienced like this, some of them become even more determined to pass the bus at the first opportunity, to prevent further delays to their journey. So they may take risks they otherwise wouldn't have taken.

So I'm not convinced that overall road safety is improved!

People don't always do what they are taught, do they? We don't live in a perfect world, people do it wrong and people are maimed and die as a result.

Bus stops are hotspots for collisions with pedestrians, many of which involve drivers overtaking he stationary bus. If the drivers can't overtake, it removes the possibility of that type of collision.

Can you articulate what you think is dangerous about them?

Not allowing other vehicles to overtake the bus while it is in the stop improves safety.

i cannot believe you actually believe some of what you post, how about not only does the siting of these bus stops preclude cars from overtaking, it also prevents the speedy responce of the emergency services as well, or are you stating that bus priority is more important than them as well?

what is unsafe or risky about not allowing cars to overtake? are you confusing safety with convenience?

The bus stop on Barnsley Road across from the main entrance from the Northern General Hospital is a dangerous place for passengers to wait for a bus - the bus stop has been hit by a vehicle several times quite recently.

Hope all those who were injured there earlier this year are making good progress .

i cannot believe you actually believe some of what you post, how about not only does the siting of these bus stops preclude cars from overtaking, it also prevents the speedy responce of the emergency services as well, or are you stating that bus priority is more important than them as well?

I can't believe how much you post on here without thinking before you type.

The emergency services angle is a total red herring. The same thing would happen as in any situation when the emergency services want to get past other vehicles. They put their blues and twos on and the bus moves out of the way. It's pretty simple stuff.

The instalation of narrowings at bus stops and other similar road safety measures are all consulted on. The emergency services are directly consulted as part of that work and their views and concenrns are taken into account.

The emergency services fully understand why such measures are put in place and because the road safety measures do actually work and reduce the number of collisions and casualties, it makes the job of the emergency services easier and lowers theri costs, because they don't get caled out as often and ther eare less people to treat.

slight flaw to your argument there tho, emergency services are not there for just vehicular accidents, if a bus is dropping people off including the elderly then they ARE going to block emergency services, or is it a case that this council are more bothered about impeding motorists than allowing free movement of emergency services?, well when there is an accident caused by a dangerously sighted bus stop and the council gets sued, then i hope you will feel the same way!!

slight flaw to your argument there tho, emergency services are not there for just vehicular accidents, if a bus is dropping people off including the elderly then they ARE going to block emergency services, or is it a case that this council are more bothered about impeding motorists than allowing free movement of emergency services?, well when there is an accident caused by a dangerously sighted bus stop and the council gets sued, then i hope you will feel the same way!!

Have you read this thread at all or understood any of what has been posted?

Bus stops are positioned by SYPTE, not the Council. The Council is a consultee only.

The position you appear to be adopting is that the emergency services should have free, completely unrestricted access to all roads at all times, irrespective of prevailing road or traffic conditions.

That is not a reasonable position to take and the emergency services themselves do not adopt that standpoint. They are operating in an urban area and there will inevitably be occasions when they are held up a littlle. They fully understand and accept that and factor it in to their deployment strategy and response times.

An emergency services vehicle with blues and twos running is visible and audible for a considerable distance. A bus driver would normally have time to ask passengers to step back, close the doors and then pull out of the way without inconvenienecing the emergency services.

This really is a non-issue

Or, put another way................"I'm losing the argument."

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawny1970

Have you read this thread at all or understood any of what has been posted?

Bus stops are positioned by SYPTE, not the Council. The Council is a consultee only.

The position you appear to be adopting is that the emergency services should have free, completely unrestricted access to all roads at all times, irrespective of prevailing road or traffic conditions.

That is not a reasonable position to take and the emergency services themselves do not adopt that standpoint. They are operating in an urban area and there will inevitably be occasions when they are held up a littlle. They fully understand and accept that and factor it in to their deployment strategy and response times.

An emergency services vehicle with blues and twos running is visible and audible for a considerable distance. A bus driver would normally have time to ask passengers to step back, close the doors and then pull out of the way without inconvenienecing the emergency services.

oops, have you read the thread at all because i started this thread, and are you stating that bus stops go through no planning process at all then?

Or, put another way................"I'm losing the argument."

Read the thread, I'm not losing the argument at all.

If the emergency services aren't concerned about it, it's a non-issue.