Bus stops sited dangerously

is there actually a planning process when positioning a bus stop?, serious question because the amount i have seen placed in dangerous/stupid places in sheffield is crazy, ie on blind bend down blackstock road, 10 foot from a roundabout and 5 foot from a junction to name just a few!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

If you look around the city you will probably find most are positioned in dangerous positions.

It amazes me who they get permission to put them where they do.

Outside school gates, within feet of crossings, on blind bends, you name it, if its dangerous there's usually a bus stop near it.

Yes, bus stops are sited by SYPTE using council guidelines.

I have to say though, the situations you describe only become dangerous when cars try and overtake the buses rather than wait behind them.

The one outside One Stop on Ecclesall Road is bad.

It's right next to the junction of the side road, and the frame of the bus stop obscures exactly the bit of road you need to be able to see to see if you can emerge.

I used to park a bit back from the junction and look behind the bus stop - something you wouldn't know to do if you didn't use the road regualrly - but you can't do that often anymore because the council in their wisdom let One Stop open there even though there is nowhere nearby that it is safe to park their delivery lorries.

is there actually a planning process when positioning a bus stop?, serious question because the amount i have seen placed in dangerous/stupid places in sheffield is crazy, ie on blind bend down blackstock road, 10 foot from a roundabout and 5 foot from a junction to name just a few!

Which bus stop is this is it the one at the top near norton water tower roundabout

The one at Asda on Handsworth Road (if you're heading towards the roundabout) has always struck me as a daft place for one.

Maybe not dangerous as such, but certainly inconvenient and without a doubt it holds up traffic in the rush hour.

They should remove it and have people walk up to the next one which is only a 30 second walk away (outside the new Sword Dancer pub and Aldi). But then you'd get people complaining that they have to walk with their shopping I suppose.....

(I'm a bus user btw!)

Yes, bus stops are sited by SYPTE using council guidelines.

I have to say though, the situations you describe only become dangerous when cars try and overtake the buses rather than wait behind them.

Not so. I regularly see two or more buses trying to use the same stop at the same time thus blocking a crossing and a junction causing a major hazard to other road users and pedestrians.

The one outside the Mother of God church on Abbeydale Road. Not dangerous as such but some bright spark decided to put it on the narrowest part of the pavement possible. I've never understood why they moved it from outside the old post office.

Quote:

Which bus stop is this is it the one at the top near norton water tower roundabout

no there is 1 at greenhill 10 foot from roundabout, but yes i know that 1 you are on about tho, thats a bad 1, i also know 1 thats near parson cross that is in the middle of traffic calming and blocks the 1 side of the road thats open!

the situations you describe only become dangerous when cars try and overtake the buses rather than wait behind them.

Surely you can't expect car drivers to wait? They're busy people! They have places to go and they need to be there NOW!

Foot down, foot down! Out of the way!

Have you no sense of the urgency of their plight? Iceland might run out of King Prawn Rings or Mini Loaded Potato Skins while they're stuck behind that bus.

Allow enough time for your journey to wait behind the bus.

Allow enough time for your journey to wait behind the bus.

The bus stop I mentioned makes it very difficult to see what is coming down Ecclesall Road regardless of whether or not a bus is there.

Do you suggest I wait until it rusts away?