Petrol Stations In the 70's

Had a Morris 1000 and used to go to the Regent filling station on Birley Moor Road (Then was Texaco now demolished for new Tesco/Vets/Charity shop) Will fill it up with 6 gallons at 30p.Full tank £ 1.80 ! Also got my " Put a Tiger in your tank" sticker and a free Regent kite !

I worked at the Jet Petrol Station on Effingham Road in the late 60's early 70's on Saturdays and a couple of evenings in the week. I wore a bright yellow overcoat(!), called the customers Sir or Madam-not mate, served the petrol at 6/- a gallon, cleaned the place and for most of the time was the only one there. So when serving petrol the office was unattended but there were never any 'incidents'. All for 4/- an hour-that's 20p an hour. At 16 I felt like a millionaire.

Hehe, My mother owned this place,together with Owler Lane Service Station and Newhall Road Filling Station,and the Blue Star one on Effingham Road.She often got me to work there at times.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 01:46 ----------

I remember the Blue Star petrol station at the forum, used to sell National petrol I think and was run by a grumpy old fat bloke can,t remember his name.

Bill Rawson.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 01:49 ----------

Anyone remember the Blue Star group petrol stations?They used to be nation-wide.I was apprentice mechanic at the one just past Norfolk bridge,going towards the M.1. in the 60s.There used to be 3 petrol pump attendants.Also had a little station on Effingham Rd.where the used car dealers is now.In fact there is an old photo of it in their office.I once had to work there for a couple of weeks while the old lass there went on holiday.Believe me or not,it had a coal fire in the office.Imagine that happening today with the old health & safety?

That old lass was probably my mother.

Edited by kevm

Hehe, My mother owned this place,together with Owler Lane Service Station and Newhall Road Filling Station,and the Blue Star one on Effingham Road.She often got me to work there at times.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 01:46 ----------

Bill Rawson.

---------- Post added 17-12-2012 at 01:49 ----------

That old lass was probably my mother.

Her name was Olive,think she lived on Newhall Rd.

Well,my mother's name is Maureen and I was working at one or other of the garages in 1972 ish,I'm 57.I forgot to mention that she also owned the Aqueduct service station on Darnall Road/Worksop Road.She had a business partner ,Bill Rawson,a big miserable looking guy,who did a mean deal in dodgy cars.

i worked at shell garage,on cricket inn road,i filled peoples cars up and lorries from the abbatior had credit and paid once a month,the man that owned it was called Major,he also had ironbridge at woodhouse and he also had ss security services,5 star petrol was top of the range at 25p a gallon lol,2 star was cheapest at 5p a gallon and all cars pinked on this lol.

Colin Eyre used to supply and service the cars of Swann-Mortons,there was Waldot Service Station on Middlewood Rd who sold Fina petrol ans oils and was owned by Walter and Dorothey Dungworth.

I knew Walter and Dorothy, and their daughter Gillian but I haven't seen any of them since 1961.

mikeG

You mention Walter Dungworth, would this be the father of Malcolm Dungworth, or some relation.?

Gary Marshman

mikeG

You mention Walter Dungworth, would this be the father of Malcolm Dungworth, or some relation.?

Gary Marshman

Can't say Gary. I took Gillian out a few times but never saw any brothers/sisters when I visited her house. Never mentioned a Malcolm.

Malcolm Dungworth is no relation what so ever to Walter Dungworth.Walter and Dorothy Dungworth had one daughter whose name is Gillian.Walter died around 7yrs ago Dorothy is still around and is 87 now and I am in regular contact with her.

Well,my mother's name is Maureen and I was working at one or other of the garages in 1972 ish,I'm 57.I forgot to mention that she also owned the Aqueduct service station on Darnall Road/Worksop Road.She had a business partner ,Bill Rawson,a big miserable looking guy,who did a mean deal in dodgy cars.

I think that Rawson fella had a car body shop bang next door to Blue Star just past Norfolk bridge.I left about 1968 so it was a long time ago.I think one of the ladies that worked there was called Maureen,she seemed pretty tall with long black hair?There was also a little woman called Elsie & another lass called Rose,I think.Like I say,it was a long time ago.

Petrol Stations in the 70's.

1. On Effingham Road going towards Bernard Road was a petrol station [later a car dealer] on the left. High on the wall was a cage with a monkey in it. Sometimes the monkey was out of the cage on a leash. Over the road a little further on was another filling station.

2. There was a Murco petrol station on Arundel Gate, over the dual carriageway bang opposite the Crucible Theatre.

3. Another place to petrol-up your car was at the top of the car park at the Bridge Inn boozer at Ford. There were two pumps next to the wall

4. On Birley Moor Road where Tesco now stands was a filling station. In the mid 60's I used to get kites and bullet hole stickers from the attendant there. At the side of this place was [is] a driveway leading down to Dexel tyres.

5. I remember being with mi Fatha and mi uncle Jack, when uncle Jack's Sunbeam Rapier was filled up at Mushroom garage. There was a car [Rover?] high up on a platform that stood on a column. If you could get the car down without the use of mechanical means it was yours. The platform top was turned up at one end, turned down on t'other.

6. There was a petrol station directly opposite the Brown Cow[Wards] pub on Mowbray Street. Pitsmoor Road came down at one side of the station.

7. Almost FINAlly, a Fina petrol station at the corner of Hollinsend Road and Alnwick Road near Intake.

8. There was a small Esso filling station on Broad Lane. It was just past the Barrel pub [Fagans][Tetley] on the opposite side near the roundabout to Townhead Street.

I can remember when Law Bros. had the petrol station on Leppings Lane. It was just 4 pumps and a small kiosk. The petrol station is still there today only it's massive and has the Post Office and convenience store in it.