Petrol Stations In the 70's

Anyone remember the Blue Star group petrol stations?They used to be nation-wide.I was apprentice mechanic at the one just past Norfolk bridge,going towards the M.1. in the 60s.There used to be 3 petrol pump attendants.Also had a little station on Effingham Rd.where the used car dealers is now.In fact there is an old photo of it in their office.I once had to work there for a couple of weeks while the old lass there went on holiday.Believe me or not,it had a coal fire in the office.Imagine that happening today with the old health & safety?

mikeG

An MG J2 for £4. 10 s and you lived in Crosspool. Dont remember that. I lived in Crosspool. I bought a 1934 Austin Nippy sports in 1961 which I used for 2 years until I managed comfort and dryness with a supercharged Mini Van .

Gary Marshman

North Wales

You wont have seen it Gary because it was in the drive of 35, Stephen Hill Rd., until Feb 1962 when we towed it to Slayleigh Ave., Fulwood. I never got the project completed and sold it for £50 to a guy called Andy who finished the job. I saw it in the Students Union car park one Saturday night in 1963. It looked good. To get the engine going we used Coldwell Engineering on Coldwell Lane.

mikeG,

I used to go to Coldwell Engineering on Coldwell Lane ,when I needed advice on modifications to my Nippy , a brilliant place owned and run by Billy Needham. He used to prepare and race Austin 7 's in the 750 formula race series and his garage just up the road from our house was a godsend for us poor vintage car enthusiasts .After the Austin 7's I beleive he prepared and raced Minis.

I often wondered what became of Billy Needham surely must now be in his 70's .

Anyone any ideas

Gary Marshman

North Wales

Anyone with a good memory, remember when you use to drive into a petrol station in the 70's and an attendant would fill the tank for you ?

I remember the first car I had....it was a 1965 Ford Anglia 105E and use to run on 2 star petrol, I would go to the petrol station on Queens Road and get about 4 gallon of 2 star petrol for a 10/- note.

I stand to be corrected on this but I think the road tax then, use to be about £15 for the year..................look at the price of petrol and road tax now.......frightening !!

usd too live neer city road... recall one there.

Colin Eyre used to supply and service the cars of Swann-Mortons,there was Waldot Service Station on Middlewood Rd who sold Fina petrol ans oils and was owned by Walter and Dorothey Dungworth.

Colin Eyre used to supply and service the cars of Swann-Mortons,there was Waldot Service Station on Middlewood Rd who sold Fina petrol ans oils and was owned by Walter and Dorothey Dungworth.

Yes he certainly did,one of his regular customers.

I used to used to2 go2 a petral stition on manerpark center with my veper scooteru.

my mother owned the very first station to be placed on a council estate in england (long story) twas a "Fina" a name not heard for a long time, not around here anyway

my mother owned the very first station to be placed on a council estate in england (long story) twas a "Fina" a name not heard for a long time, not around here anyway
Come on then let us know.:D

Going back a bit further, but does anyone remember the 'Spick' ( or 'Spic' ?) petrol station by Norfolk Bridge, Attercliffe in the 1950's ? A small, corner garage if I remember correctly. Also Warriner's garage which was at the junction of Sedan Street and Ellesmere Road, Pitsmoor.

I remember the Blue Star petrol station at the forum, used to sell National petrol I think and was run by a grumpy old fat bloke can,t remember his name.

Seem to remember an atttended petrol station on mosborough high street, probably gone by the early seventies,cracking bird worked there think her name was wendy,am i right ih thinking it stood where church veiw is now ???