Heads up to any bikers - Motorcycle parking opposite Peace Gardens

Regardless of rights and wrongs (personally though not a motorcyclist I think secure provision for motorcycles is sadly lacking) it seems that there is a focus on this

Spotted this on the cycle parking at the bottom of Fargate today, advising to call 101 and report any motorcycles parked there.

http://i49.tinypic.com/i1xlcz.jpg

LOOKED official (can't confirm, or if someone has had them made up)

Now I'm all for this, I just wish they'd do it about burger vans blocking the cycle racks too - but there ought to be more motorcycle parking too. If I did have a motorbike which would still cause less congestion than taking a single or two-occupant car, I'd probably still take the car, just because of security.

if bikers were to pay for on street parking how could it work? we can't display a ticket anywhere.

I've used parking spaces in town before and had my ticket stolen about 7 times in the past two years, also had them stolen in Bakewell. What l do nowadays is take a photo of my ticket in place on the bike. A warden in bakewell told me even with that evidence l could still get a ticket!!! What do you do?

I've used parking spaces in town before and had my ticket stolen about 7 times in the past two years, also had them stolen in Bakewell. What l do nowadays is take a photo of my ticket in place on the bike. A warden in bakewell told me even with that evidence l could still get a ticket!!! What do you do?

Personally I write my registration number on the ticket in a black spirit pen, then take a photo, just in case.

I've not has one stolen since I started marking them. (Touch Wood :) )

Personally I write my registration number on the ticket in a black spirit pen, then take a photo, just in case.

I've not has one stolen since I started marking them. (Touch Wood :) )

You've just have to hope you don't get a new ticket because your existing one has been defaced. ;)

Maybe a question for Planner1;

There are a number of motorcycle parking bays scattered around the city centre, though the council does seem to be gradually removing them.

e.g. the one at the corner of Rockingham St & Division St has gone, along with one on St James St and one down the side of the old Woolworths' shop off The Moor.

Is it possible to get a definitive list of the remaining ones from anywhere?

For example there is one at each of the following locations

Outside National Tyres at the end of The Moor

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.375256,-1.47549&spn=0.005037,0.016158&t=m&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.375256,-1.47549&panoid=6UUB4PFMXt4-_vj0mtDaIg&cbp=12,102.03,,0,0

Bottom of Trafalgar St off Charter Row

http://goo.gl/maps/uXfws

Cross Burgess St behind Coles

http://goo.gl/maps/UBYud

Have the cycle racks by the Crucible now been cleared for motorcycle parking?

Walked by on Friday only to see that every single rack was filled by a motorbike. That doesn't really seem fair to me. It's not exactly an incentive to cyclists to have allocated parking used in this way, especially when, as I mentioned earlier, bicycles cannot be locked 'stand-alone', whereas, like cars, motorbikes can be, and most often are, parked without having to be hitched to a rack.

I have heard a rumour that Motorcycles are being given parking tickets for parking near the Peace Gardens near the Pansonic shop, anyone heard anything?

i am not a motorcyclist, but i park my bicycle around that area, and i have noticed that usually i have to pick my way through motorbikes parked in cycle places. but recently they have been empty of motorbikes. there must be a reason, maybe thats it, that their issuing parking tickets.

Sneaky beggers, is that the same at the Crucible as well, any ideas where to park my motorbike safely in town?

Sneaky beggers

On the contrary, I think it's motorcyclists who have been 'sneaky' in this, by using up cycle racks designed for bicycles, not motorbikes. So it's about time the distinction was made clear.

on my logbook the taxation class says bicycle