Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

I lived on Myrtle Road not far from the pub (can't recall its name). The house and pub have gone now to make way for the farm. I was also born in 1968. I moved from Myrtle Rd to Moffatt Rd in the early 70's and went to Heeley Bank School. We might have been in the same class!!

I remember some of the teachers; Mr Benson, Mrs bellamy, Mrs lay to name but a few).

I had some wonderful time growing up there. Playing hares and Hounds in the streets. We weren't restricted like todays kids.

The pub was "The Myrtle Inn" The back was on Alexander Road and the front on Myrtle Road. I worked at the pub in about 1962 and enjoyed every moment. Saturday nights were buzzing with laughter from the locals, young and old alike and music from the juke box rang around the place. Toward the end of the night everyone broke into unaccompanied song, there was always someone willing to give their own unique rendition, sometimes whilst standing on a table. The place was run by Eric and Helen, I can't recall their surname. Eric died during my time working there and Helen continued on alone for a few years, though she did have an aunt or someone helping out.

Upstairs would be hired our for private functions and it was whilst tending bar up there for a wedding reception I met my husband. I have the most wonderful memories of that pub !!!!!!

It was in the old Heeley Station building next door to the Post Office ... it's very rundown now and it's a car breakers yard and store ...

Do you remember the Rendezvous, run by Boris? Lot of bikers used to go in there ... was another of the small shops eventually taken over by Ponnies... they own the whole block now up as far as the White Lion ... and have a HUGE new building on the site of the old Heeley Palace.

Applegrim, I remember the little hole in the walll. I used to sit in there whilst we waited for the bus when I was little, pretending it was my house. Was it an old blocked up cellar entrance do you think?

Yes thats right ruby although saddened to here it now very run down but it was a long time ago.

I do remember the rendezvous was a meeting place for all our gang but we wer'nt bikers lol.

Applegrim, can't remember the hole in the wall, not sure where it was, please enlighten me. cheers

If you're on about the furniture store it was definately Ponsfords. As for the butchers, then I'm at a loss, but hopefully tinkers post helped you.

If I remeber right I think the butchers shop was calld Pashleys. Did a very good pork sandwich. It was situated just before the red lion pub.

Does you remember the crown inn at the corner of albert road, happy days. My father used to work there as a barman. His name was walter. cheers Jauntyone

Applegrim, can't remember the hole in the wall, not sure where it was, please enlighten me. cheers

jaunty1 - do you remember where the bus stop was outside the Heeley Palace? Right there in the wall, was a little entrance type thing. It was about 3 feet high and about the same wide and deep. If you were small enough you could crouch down and get inside out of the weather.

I remember being small enough to walk inside and pretend it was my house! Must have been about 3 or 4 at the time. Mother used to go mad cos we wore those white kid ankle strap shoes with white socks ... used to get em filthy in there!

I'm sure that what Applegrim is referring to.

So where is the top of heeley bottom

So where is the top of heeley bottom

Heeley Green!!!! :D

Lived at 67 Alexandra Road (now a pig farm!!!!), but only very late in the 60's, was born in 1968. Went to Heeley Bank School before moving to Mosborough in about 1978 when we were turfed out to make way for the farm!!

Loved carting down the 1 in 4 hill!!!

I am sure that my sister-in-law lived at 65.

The shop on the corner (that is now Ponsfords) was a bakery,confectionery & sweets owned by Proctor's, the son's set up in business as- Proctors Haulage & Storage.

Cynthia, Canada.

could you mean phillips pork butchers ?

Many thanks- a daughter of the butcher married an uncle of mine, both since long gone but I can cross check it now with various BMDs available online.

Many thanks- a daughter of the butcher married an uncle of mine, both since long gone but I can cross check it now with various BMDs available online.
the butchers name of phillips has been there in the same place for many years ,( well over 35 years ) and is now still there today and still in business as phillips pork butchers , it is situated just below the red lion pub , hope this helps you .

If anyone knows about that chippy in the row of houses now Ponsford, my great aunt (or sommut like that owned it). I'd love to hear bout it, apart from imagining smelly lard instead of leather I don't have much to go for.

Walter Phillips, at the pork shop AFAIR, only had a son ... Young Walter as he was known ... don't think he ever married but I could be wrong was only a child at the time.

Jessie Pashley's shop was further up past the bottom of Albert Road ... maybe where In A Nutshell is now. We used to be sent there to get pork sandwiches sometimes ... yummy they were too! Although we mostly got pork from Mr Phillips shop.

The chippy was a chinese chippy in the 60s called the Sun? They used to do these rissole things called savoury cakes, they were lovely!!

Trying to remember the shops when I was a teen, Proctors(mum always got potted meat from there, home made, I think and sugared almonds, Ponsfords had about four or five of the shops, then the Rendezvous coffee bar, a greengrocers, The Sun chinese chip shop, White Lion, then Kings the Grocer, then the genuine USA style Bendix Launderette at the bottom of Artisan View, Freddie Wood's barbers and hair salon, a wet fish shop, another greengrocer, gregorys bakers, Walter Phillips pork shop, don't know whether the bookies was there then, then the motor bike shop (which used to be Wigfalls years before), Thirlwell Rd, Red Lion, Albert Road, Crown Inn, then a little sweetie cum all sorts shop which was once a pig shed or something, I can't remember anymore till Taylors at the corner of Meersbrook Park Road and the Co-Op on the other corner ..

i think they was also a pet shop as well , a bit higher up than phillips butchers shop i just cant remember the name of it , i think it closed down about 6 years ago .