Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

can anyone remember bon marche , the ladies clothes shop. it was nest to the army stores

Applegrim, I had long forgotten the name of the tall, uniformed cadaverous looking bloke who was the usher at Heeley Colly. Leo - he's the one. In the early 50s Saturday night was a cuppa coffee in the Plumtree at the bottom of Broadfield, then queue for the colly. Old Leo used to come along to ensure law and order in the queue and, when in a benevolent mood, would stand and tell us war stories of Africa, Burma, D Day, Iwo Jima etc. until we realised he'd was quoting newsreels. I think the coffee, 5 woodbines and the cinema could be done for half a crown.

Help!! Nearly forgot, just above Heeley Palace was a large furniture shop in the 60s. Ponsfords? This got bigger as it swallowed up a whole shed load of smaller shops, one being a butchers. Can anybody name this shop as it appears in my family history?

Hmm,Heeley palace.Remember it well,Saturday morning rush, the cheering for the good guys and booing for the bad guys, the noise must have been horrendous but what a great time everybody had.The walk home was just a continuation of the films we'd seen, boys/girls pretending to shoot/fence each other (depending on which film was seen) and no one was ever hurt.

Just Could'nt wait untill the following Saturday to find what had happend to Zorro/Roy Rogers/Flash Gordon etc.

Would'nt it be nice just to visit that period of time again if only for a short while.

This thread took me back to a night club we used to go in when we were in our teen's. It was called The Sunrise Club, it was situated just under the bridge opposite the pub called The Bridge Inn.

wonder what is there now?????

It was in the old Heeley Station building next door to the Post Office ... it's very rundown now and it's a car breakers yard and store ...

Do you remember the Rendezvous, run by Boris? Lot of bikers used to go in there ... was another of the small shops eventually taken over by Ponnies... they own the whole block now up as far as the White Lion ... and have a HUGE new building on the site of the old Heeley Palace.

Applegrim, I remember the little hole in the walll. I used to sit in there whilst we waited for the bus when I was little, pretending it was my house. Was it an old blocked up cellar entrance do you think?

Hi Boston, The clothes shop where the solicitors is now was originally one of Wainrights stores, the shop was then bought by Snelsons who totally modernised it,and traded as a furniture shop, and opposite at the bottom of Chippinghouse Road,where the bathroom shop is now, was Fred Snelsons TV store.

I can remember going on to Asline Road to Mr. Jowetts the pawnshop, but going up to Highfields there was a horse meat shop.

I used to work at Snelsons, then we moved to the Malthouses old building on Cliffefield Road. I used to have dinner at the Plumtree Cafe on the corner of Chippinghouse Road they had a juke box by the door and the lads used to have a game of snooker across the road.

Help!! Nearly forgot, just above Heeley Palace was a large furniture shop in the 60s. Ponsfords? This got bigger as it swallowed up a whole shed load of smaller shops, one being a butchers. Can anybody name this shop as it appears in my family history?

Wasn't this one of Dewhursts(sp) butchers shops ?

My cousin Ernie and I got chucked out of the Collie by Leo because Ernie shouted out the F word in astonishment when he saw Jane Russell in "Outlaw", so we ended up in the snooker hall at the top of Broadfield Road, under age of course.

Lived at 67 Alexandra Road (now a pig farm!!!!), but only very late in the 60's, was born in 1968. Went to Heeley Bank School before moving to Mosborough in about 1978 when we were turfed out to make way for the farm!!

Loved carting down the 1 in 4 hill!!!

could you mean phillips pork butchers ?

could you mean phillips pork butchers ?

If you're on about the furniture store it was definately Ponsfords. As for the butchers, then I'm at a loss, but hopefully tinkers post helped you.

Lived at 67 Alexandra Road (now a pig farm!!!!), but only very late in the 60's, was born in 1968. Went to Heeley Bank School before moving to Mosborough in about 1978 when we were turfed out to make way for the farm!!

Loved carting down the 1 in 4 hill!!!

I lived on Myrtle Road not far from the pub (can't recall its name). The house and pub have gone now to make way for the farm. I was also born in 1968. I moved from Myrtle Rd to Moffatt Rd in the early 70's and went to Heeley Bank School. We might have been in the same class!!

I remember some of the teachers; Mr Benson, Mrs bellamy, Mrs lay to name but a few).

I had some wonderful time growing up there. Playing hares and Hounds in the streets. We weren't restricted like todays kids.