Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

Originally posted by boston

wasnt fine fare where machine mart now stands, and i seem to remember fine ware (clothes etc) briefly opening where the solicitors is now, or i could have got these the wrong way around.

The school dentist at Lowfield school (the fear of that place and the gas), i remember the Skeltons, and Rodgers factories where Guernsey Road was, and Walkers sweet shop near the Earl. Wasnt there a Fish Monger and a butcher with rabbits and various poultry hung up outside in the street?

My mum used to work in Walkers,

and yes fine fayre was where machine mart is now

Originally posted by Applegrim

I'm sure that machine mart was the fine fare that was the colly,does anyone remember Leo who used to shine his torch at you,there was three Wainwrights shop on Heeley bottom, from the bridge pub, cross the bridge then there was a tiny sweet shop, then one Wainwrights that sold grandad shirts before grandads shirts was well known, collar studs, lyle stockings the choice was endless, then a locksmiths, a steelworks which had a big steel door, then a cleaners and then Lewis's, in their doorway there was a square post that had mirrors on all sides and you could walk round it, they sold blouses etc, in one window then mens things in another window,there was a Gowers, Gallons, Davy's,an army surplus store and the plumtree cafe, that had one of the first juke boxes in Sheffield, it still is a cafe now.The Teen Bar which had to be one of the first coffee bars for teenagers.Back at the Heeley Palace, at the bus stop can anyone remember a little hole cut out of the wall just where the bus stop was, where we used to sit in when it rained.

Gowers were on the corner leading to Forster Road accross from the Heeley Church,I think

Originally posted by only_me

Tony wilson is an industrial window cleaner' i have seen him around i beleave he cleans the windows on the sheffield courts. I think he maybe around 45 now.

Yes Tony was a little younger than me,he was a good lad

I think around that time or a little later my Grandad ran a piano shop at heely bottom think it was called nelson pianos.

Originally posted by tosh13

Gowers were on the corner leading to Forster Road accross from the Heeley Church,I think

hi tosh, gowers was on the corner of forster road and gleadless road , but maybe there was one on heeley bottom as well .

When Fine Fare took over the Coliseum my mum and I shopped there the first week that it opened. It felt so 'wrong' taking goods of off the shelves without asking the assistant first. We soon got used to the new system!

The passage to our back yard was opposite Walkers sweets and toy shop.

When I left Sheffield in 1964 the shop next to Walkers, on Queens Road, was Mathers (grocers).

Between Mathers and the Earl was Rawsons' chippie. They had a fish tank in the window.

Tosh,yes Gowers was on the corner of Foster Road, but I'm sure there was another one on Heeley Bottom,but next to Gowers on Foster Road, there were John and Jim Ledger's butcher's shop,they were brothers, then Nick Carter, who was the barbers,I love going back down memory lane,what about the shops on the other side, Wool shop, hairdressers,Heeley's chemist,Staley's newsagents,wash house? wrays sweet shop, Mrs Hunter who sold hardware, then Mrs Moss who sold brick a brack, I think the last two were sisters, then a fruit shop and on the corner of Wilson Road, there was a pawnshop.Is that how you remember it or have I got it wrong?

Tosh,yes Gowers was on the corner of Foster Road, but I'm sure there was another one on Heeley Bottom,but next to Gowers on Foster Road, there were John and Jim Ledger's butcher's shop,they were brothers, then Nick Carter, who was the barbers,I love going back down memory lane,what about the shops on the other side, Wool shop, hairdressers,Heeley's chemist,Staley's newsagents,wash house? wrays sweet shop, Mrs Hunter who sold hardware, then Mrs Moss who sold brick a brack, I think the last two were sisters, then a fruit shop and on the corner of Wilson Road, there was a pawnshop.Is that how you remember it or have I got it wrong?

Yes it is how I remember it my Mum used to go to the hairdressers & I did some part time work with the fruit shop guy,going around in his van ,I had to ring the bell & shout Tates.I lived at 21 Forster Road

I think that it was Wilson Place actually, it ran between Gleadless Rd and Boyton St. Going towards Boyton St on the same side as the pawnshop was a yard where someone kept pigs (and geese I think) and across from that was an iron foundry. Straight across from the bottom of Wilson Place on Boyton St was Florrie Morton's shop.

the other gowers shop would i be right in thinking it was at the bottom of wolseley road on the right hand side going up ?? .

I think that it was Wilson Place actually, it ran between Gleadless Rd and Boyton St. Going towards Boyton St on the same side as the pawnshop was a yard where someone kept pigs (and geese I think) and across from that was an iron foundry. Straight across from the bottom of Wilson Place on Boyton St was Florrie Morton's shop.

Yes you're right it was Wilson Place, but I don't remember any pigs and geese,

but did Amy Morton have a sister then? because I can only remember the shop at the top of Boyton Street.

the other gowers shop would i be right in thinking it was at the bottom of wolseley road on the right hand side going up ?? .

Now are you thinking of the shop where the new Mosque is? If so that used to be a Co-op, but I think it was near to what was the old army stores, or was that Gallons?

Do you remember a Boots the chemist,and a Blaskeys wallpaper shop?