Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

I always thought it was called Highway 66, or did it change its name at some point? I spent many great nights there in the 60's and we used to come all the way from stannington on the bus as well!

Across the road from Hodkin & Jones was Rubin & Thompson's funeral directors & taxis,

Across the road from them was the Earl of Arundal pub, next to them was a fish shop, Then a grocers shop - the owner was called Charley ?

Len F.

I remember the fish & chip shop just past the Earl. Chips were 3d and fish 7d around 1954/1955.

When the Heeley Palace was still standing there was a paper shop same side just up well rd.

Remember it was owned by an ex-United player in the early 60s, was it Harold Brook?

and I remember there was a customized Land rover used to park on the bend higher up with the legend "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" above the passenger side...

Ring any bells...

I think Harold Brook had another newsagents on Paternoster Row around that time.

I remember the fish & chip shop just past the Earl. Chips were 3d and fish 7d around 1954/1955.

The fish & chip shop was Rawsons.

Next door, after Charley died, came Mrs Mather (Mr Mather worked for the NCB).

The other side of the passage was Walkers Toy Shop followed by Walkers Sweet Shop.

Then came Peppers (a herbalist)

After Peppers was a door with a glass panel saying 'Ethel (can't remember her surname) Wreaths made to order'. I never saw that door open.

Then there was a Ladies Hairdresser (can't remember the name).

On the corner was Harrisons beer-off.

I always thought it was called Highway 66, or did it change its name at some point? I spent many great nights there in the 60's and we used to come all the way from stannington on the bus as well!

Highway 61 as in being on the A61 road! Called the Silhouette after that!

Any memories anyone?

yes i remember me and a couple of mates playing snooker above a shop i think it was calle landtons but not sure

yes i remember me and a couple of mates playing snooker above a shop i think it was calle landtons but not sure

I seem to think it was above Langtons Shoe Shop

The fish & chip shop was Rawsons.

Next door, after Charley died, came Mrs Mather (Mr Mather worked for the NCB).

The other side of the passage was Walkers Toy Shop followed by Walkers Sweet Shop.

Then came Peppers (a herbalist)

After Peppers was a door with a glass panel saying 'Ethel (can't remember her surname) Wreaths made to order'. I never saw that door open.

Then there was a Ladies Hairdresser (can't remember the name).

On the corner was Harrisons beer-off.

That was it, Rawsons.

I remember playing on Harrington Road (now a short unnamed cul-de-sac) just past the Earl as a five or six year old with a couple of my pals. I was hanging on to a gas lamp with one hand, both feet on the base and sticking my tongue out at no one in particular. A passing woman took exception, pulled me off the gas lamp and delivered several slaps to the back of my legs.

It was my first experience of injustice! I wonder if everyone remembers theirs.

That was it, Rawsons.

I remember playing on Harrington Road (now a short unnamed cul-de-sac) just past the Earl as a five or six year old with a couple of my pals. I was hanging on to a gas lamp with one hand, both feet on the base and sticking my tongue out at no one in particular. A passing woman took exception, pulled me off the gas lamp and delivered several slaps to the back of my legs.

Remember chucking a snowball at a "gassie" and getting a clipped earole for it.

Remember chucking a snowball at a "gassie" and getting a clipped earole for it.

Heh, heh. That wasn't an injustice though Duffems.

Heh, heh. That wasn't an injustice though Duffems.

I thought it was because I was the last one to chuck one, everyone else had a go at it then ran off and left me to take the blame. It went up like a good 'un though!

I never did it again I must add.

Incidentally, Langtons is still there but, is an antiques centre now.

Edited by DUFFEMS
Added more detail.

That was it, Rawsons.

I had many a clout - and I'm ashamed to say that most of them were well deserved.

Another memory I have of Rawsons is of watching the assistant 'paint' melted margarine onto slices of bread. When I asked mum why they had used a paintbrush to 'butter' the bread - I was given a slice of dry bread with my chips and told to think about it. Sixty years later I'm still 'thinking' and dreaming of PROPER fish-cakes.