Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

hi only me !! I think you are right about the bloke with the flat cap,he was on the corner of chipping house rd, is that the road that leads to the heeley baths and abbydale rd?, I remember the archway and across the road was the snooker hall T P.

Hi Tony, the road that leads to the baths is Broadfield road and its quite probable he stood there. However you could see the snooker hall from the archway as well but that is where he also lived. Do you remember the hardware shop i think it was called Dickens? He was on heeley bottom up to a few years ago (not far from snooker hall). I often wondered if parts of heeley bottom was bombed in ww2 ?? . There was a big clothes shop called fine ware in the 1970s(not fine fare further up) i think it was last used as Howells solicitors. This building looked out of place like it was added to Hb later perhaps 1960s. maybe if someone knows where i mean they can recollect what was there prior.

Gowers were on the corner leading to Forster Road accross from the Heeley Church,I think

Hi tosh13 I remember the teen bar,just at the side of the railway bridge and the little cafe the other side,we would go there play the juke box, and have a bottle of pop!!! and make it last!! the plumtree attracted more girls than the teen bar,the good days ah!!!!! T P

I dont know if its true or not but according to my mum who was only a kid at the time, she said Brook's papershop belonged to Harold Brooks who once played for Sheffield United. And she remembers Frys Bakers on Well Road.

You're right about Harold Brooks Woggle :D

Mrs Nora Fry of the bakers shop was my Grandmother & I would quite often assist :huh:(age 4 or 5), especially if the customer usually tipped. ;). We lived at the opposite side of the gennel, 4 houses away in the back to back's, so I used to go to Brocks for my grandfather's Green Un which was a great adventure for me, especially as I used to ask for a 'Green One'.

What memories! My Mum & Anuntie worked at the Plumtree cafe at the corner of broadfield rd and when I was about 12 I worked there on Saturdays.

Previously my mum Thora Boulby (nee Myers) worked at Heeley picture palace as an usherette and then when they converted it to a bingo hall she still worked there. Both Gerry Booth and Pat Phoenix visited the bingo hall - I have photos somewhere in our loft of both their visits along with one of Mum winning a twist competition at the Locano

We lived at the bottom end of Richards Rd and my Dad Barry Boulby worked at Skeltons (prospect Rd -tall chimney). He then went on the buses as a contuctor and his last job before he died was as head relish maker at Hendersons.

I remember the day when about 10 kids ran down the road to our house shouting "Your Hazels got run ore" my mum nearly had a heart attack running up the road to see what had happened- she had been crossing from the juncion of Anns Rd and Richards Rd (near Ashmores fruitshop). - not much harm done she had been hit by a car but only scratches & a bruise on her leg.

Some of the names I remember from that time are Susan & Brenda Saville, Deborah & Kerry Skit, Richard & Andrea Yeardley, Denis Pownall, Paul Fell, Bruce Nash, Paul & Susan Lake, Ian Boynton Karen Morrison. We all went to Anns Rd School.

My Nan Vera was the caretaker at the Methodist Church opposite the school - she lived 2 doors away from the church on Anns Rd.

Happy days!

I remember a guy called mick baker selling green uns!! on the corner of, I think it was broardfield rd

Hi Tony

It could have been him , I lost contact when I left school

Hi tosh is your surname siddall

I remember a great toy shop where we could spend our pocket money after my mum had done her shopping at "Fine Fare" then we had to track back up to the top of Richards Rd with the shopping. (no car).

The post office was still open ... I used to long to work in there when I grew up. :smile:

I think you might be talkin about 'aunties'. I had some great memories visiting my grandma on Springwood road. Tommy Newsome the milkie lived on Artisan View and there used to be a playground just up from Ponsfords where we ha some fun. But can anyone tell me the point of the steps going up to Springwood road, when there was a path the same distance going aroound (if you were there you'll know what i mean?)

Mikey

I worked at Tyzack Sons & Turner from 1978 - 1988 and used to go in The Crown at the bottom of Albert Road some lunchtimes for a pint of Wards and a game of darts. That Wards was fantastic, there is no beer to touch it these days. I also remember as an apprentice being sent to Jessies for the pork sandwiches at Christmas. Great times.

Funny that, cos my Grandma who lived on Springwood road worked at Tyzacks - it was Mark Tyzacks back then and her name was Edna Strafford (nee Hunter)

I have Soooooo many questions about Heeley - and sooo many memories too, mostly from the 70's, but i do remember most of the shops discussed on here. I remember walking on heeley shops and buying a bunch of 45's from a second hand store and going back to Grandma's and playing them on her gramophone player. Ahhh sweet memories

Mikey xx

Upper Healey Workingmens Club,

Any one remember the day trips for kids to Cleethorpes

Fantastic. Are we there yet mister

The pub was "The Myrtle Inn" The back was on Alexander Road and the front on Myrtle Road. I worked at the pub in about 1962 and enjoyed every moment. Saturday nights were buzzing with laughter from the locals, young and old alike and music from the juke box rang around the place. Toward the end of the night everyone broke into unaccompanied song, there was always someone willing to give their own unique rendition, sometimes whilst standing on a table. The place was run by Eric and Helen, I can't recall their surname. Eric died during my time working there and Helen continued on alone for a few years, though she did have an aunt or someone helping out.

Upstairs would be hired our for private functions and it was whilst tending bar up there for a wedding reception I met my husband. I have the most wonderful memories of that pub !!!!!!

Hi - my parents had their wedding reception in the Myrtle Inn back in 1961 have managed to find a photo of the pub - think it was the Alexndra Road side - has anyone got any photos of that pub? It's my parents golden wedding anniversary and am trying to get some memorabilia together??

Does anyone remember the Bell family from Artisan View? Brian, Terry, Kenneth, Keith and Linda, the offspring of Elsie and Arthur Bell.

I'm sure that machine mart was the fine fare that was the colly,does anyone remember Leo who used to shine his torch at you,there was three Wainwrights shop on Heeley bottom, from the bridge pub, cross the bridge then there was a tiny sweet shop, then one Wainwrights that sold grandad shirts before grandads shirts was well known, collar studs, lyle stockings the choice was endless, then a locksmiths, a steelworks which had a big steel door, then a cleaners and then Lewis's, in their doorway there was a square post that had mirrors on all sides and you could walk round it, they sold blouses etc, in one window then mens things in another window,there was a Gowers, Gallons, Davy's,an army surplus store and the plumtree cafe, that had one of the first juke boxes in Sheffield, it still is a cafe now.The Teen Bar which had to be one of the first coffee bars for teenagers.Back at the Heeley Palace, at the bus stop can anyone remember a little hole cut out of the wall just where the bus stop was, where we used to sit in when it rained.

Yes I remember the hole in the wall Also the old movie house...went many times....And later there was/is pub up the left hand side called ??? my old mate Tony Marsh used to run it...said there was a rough mob used to go...But most of the town small pubs were working class men in those days..They worked hard and played harder...tough jobs and little pleasure other than the pub and the pub....great days and some great people...most would do anything to help you....Sheffield still has many really down to earth people who are salt of the earth