Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

Now are you thinking of the shop where the new Mosque is? If so that used to be a Co-op, but I think it was near to what was the old army stores, or was that Gallons?

Do you remember a Boots the chemist,and a Blaskeys wallpaper shop?

yes i was thinking of the shop where new mosque is , yes i remember boots the chemist it was on the same side as the army stores the last time i went in there i took a film in for developing about 30 years ago , and i never got chance to collect it when i went back about 10 years later they had shut down , what a pity .i think the blaskey's was across on the other side .

wasnt fine fare where machine mart now stands, and i seem to remember fine ware (clothes etc) briefly opening where the solicitors is now, or i could have got these the wrong way around.

The school dentist at Lowfield school (the fear of that place and the gas), i remember the Skeltons, and Rodgers factories where Guernsey Road was, and Walkers sweet shop near the Earl. Wasnt there a Fish Monger and a butcher with rabbits and various poultry hung up outside in the street?

Hi Boston, The clothes shop where the solicitors is now was originally one of Wainrights stores, the shop was then bought by Snelsons who totally modernised it,and traded as a furniture shop, and opposite at the bottom of Chippinghouse Road,where the bathroom shop is now, was Fred Snelsons TV store.

I can remember going on to Asline Road to Mr. Jowetts the pawnshop, but going up to Highfields there was a horse meat shop.

When I are a lad etc. I can remember some really bad floods and the River Sheaf burst its banks.

my dad was working at the Hardy Pick at the time and it was forced to close for the day. We went round and the foot bridge was completely covered by water, the Sheaf was a raging torrent. Under the Railway Bridge the water was about 15 feet deep at least.

Was the flood when it was still Hardy Pick ?, or when it had been bought by Laycock's ?. My husband worked there when it was HP & Laycocks.

1944-1982. He was on nights during the infamous Sheffield gale. all the workshop flooded and a house across the back collapsed into the river.

Cynthia, Ontario, Canada.

Yes you're right it was Wilson Place, but I don't remember any pigs and geese,

but did Amy Morton have a sister then? because I can only remember the shop at the top of Boyton Street.

Amy was a great old lady,I lived bang across the road from her shop,was her husband called Zen,I think he was Polish,maybe wrong.

Yes you're right it was Wilson Place, but I don't remember any pigs and geese,

but did Amy Morton have a sister then? because I can only remember the shop at the top of Boyton Street.

I don't really know whether Amy and Florrie were sisters or not. They were quite different in appearance. Amy.as you know was a large lady whereas Florrie was a skinny little lady with grey hair. They both had the same type of shop though selling basically the same stuff. Amy of course used to put up the Father Christmas in her window. Didn't used to think it was that time of the year until her window was decorated. I think Tosh is right about Amy's husband being Polish although I can't remember his name at all.

I lived at 19 Forster Rd and our attic skylight faced Amy's shop. There was a metal cigarette sign hanging above the shop door (Craven A or Park Drive, I think) I used to plunk at it with an air pistol that I had for a while.

chuffinel have we had the conversation about me living at 21 Forster Road,our house which I lived in from 1957 to 1975 was bang across the road from Amy's shop & her husband was Polish & his name was Zen he was a nasty old man,but Amy was great & at the back of the shop in the yard lived a lad called Richard Bray & Len Yates my mate lived a few doors on from Amy's.

Hi Tosh. Yes we spoke previously about that. I lived there until 1955 or thereabouts. I believe that we both knew Ross Cantrell. Cheers

The name Cantrel rings a bell, was there a Josaphine Cantrell? I didn't know her too well but I was friends with Jean Jarrett for a long time, her dad had a talking minor bird, do you know them?

The name Cantrel rings a bell, was there a Josaphine Cantrell? I didn't know her too well but I was friends with Jean Jarrett for a long time, her dad had a talking minor bird, do you know them?

Applegrim, I must know you. Jean is my sister and the bird we had was actually a jackdaw. It had a broken wing and couldn't fly anymore. My dad built a big cage for it and used to put it outside during the day. The people next door had a cat called Tony and the bird used to drive the cat crazy calling its name. It also used to tell the binmen to "shurrup" when they were banging the bins. My dad stayed up until the early hours one day trying to feed the bird with diluted whisky from an eyedropper when it was dying. Jose Cantrell was about the same age as our Jean. Please p.m. with your details. Thanks.

Hi again Applegrim. My last sentence seemed a little pushy and I apologize for this. Should have asked if you would mind sending me a p.m. or should I p.m. you ? Thanks

This thread took me back to a night club we used to go in when we were in our teen's. It was called The Sunrise Club, it was situated just under the bridge opposite the pub called The Bridge Inn.

wonder what is there now?????