Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

yes thats them

Hi Willybite.

No don't think it was Hoyland, I started going to the lane in 57 He didn't finish playing till 61 and I'm pretty sure this guy had finished before I started going, Brook finished in 54

Also Hoyland had fair wavy hair and Brook had dark greased back hair and this is how I remember the owner.......

BUT... I could be wrong.

My mum and dad lived on Oak Street in the mid sixties. I think my mum said that their house either used to be a cinema or adjoined the cinema or something.

Hi Willybite.

No don't think it was Hoyland, I started going to the lane in 57 He didn't finish playing till 61 and I'm pretty sure this guy had finished before I started going, Brook finished in 54

Also Hoyland had fair wavy hair and Brook had dark greased back hair and this is how I remember the owner.......

BUT... I could be wrong.

It was Hills at the side of Ponsfords, two steps up into a tiny shop, then they moved over the road to the side of the Heeley Palace, a double front shop, then it was taken over and became Brooks, iirc.

It was Hills at the side of Ponsfords, two steps up into a tiny shop, then they moved over the road to the side of the Heeley Palace, a double front shop, then it was taken over and became Brooks, iirc.

Would that be any relation to Betty Hill ? She later had a shop next to the bridge on heeley bottom (1970s)

I dont know if its true or not but according to my mum who was only a kid at the time, she said Brook's papershop belonged to Harold Brooks who once played for Sheffield United. And she remembers Frys Bakers on Well Road.

You nearly got it right mate, 4 brothers in all ,Tony was the eldest who I used to knock around with as a kid then there was Noel, Gary and Dean...we got up to all sorts of mischief in the mid-sixties belive me we were only 11 or 12 but that didn't stop us nickin' a barrel o'beer from a new Indian restaurant that had just opened on Abbeydale Rd and then takin it back to Tony's for a party while his parents were out boozin...!!

Hi Steve. Are you related to Mrs Maltby,s daughter,s ??-Mary & Dorothy whos mum had the corner shop at the corner of Carter Place & Carter road at heeley

await your reply- Dave

Tosh, do you remember all the walls on Foster Road had all had there railings cut down for the war effort and as kids we used to start at one end and jump all the walls even where the passages were.

yes - I remember the small stumps of steel sticking up above the coping stones on foster rd .- Every time I have a shower I see the holes in my knees where I tripped over one and landed on the one in front - Those short trousers dident help/// bye Dave

I remember a guy called mick baker selling green uns!! on the corner of, I think it was broardfield rd

I remember a guy called mick baker selling green uns!! on the corner of, I think it was broardfield rd

I wonder if this is the same bloke who lived near the corner of Gifford/Chippinghouse road. There was an archway type passage at his house, the papers were always pilled up at the side. Im sure he always wore a flat cap.

Hi tosh cant send you a private message but i new your family used to hang out with john and malc been in yer mam dads house a lot dont think you will remember me lived on cambridge rd no10 across from dens shop.new about john very sad,i used to pick him up in my taxi, top man send my regards to your malc.all the best doger,roger harrison

hi only me !! I think you are right about the bloke with the flat cap,he was on the corner of chipping house rd, is that the road that leads to the heeley baths and abbydale rd?, I remember the archway and across the road was the snooker hall T P.