Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

Across the road from Hodkin & Jones was Rubin & Thompson's funeral directors & taxis,

Across the road from them was the Earl of Arundal pub, next to them was a fish shop, Then a grocers shop - the owner was called Charley ?

Len F.

My Nanan and Grandad lived on Albert Road , it was where Nanan was born and they lived on the same terrace until it was demolished around 1978 when they were in the late 80`s . I spent many very happy times at their house on Albert rd, Nanan used to shop on Heeley Bottom, I remember a shop which sold fancy goods and you could have good laid away for Christmas . Nanan used to buy the most wonderful loose potted meat from a butchers , cant remember the name now , happy memeories !

Across the road from Hodkin & Jones was Rubin & Thompson's funeral directors & taxis,

Across the road from them was the Earl of Arundal pub, next to them was a fish shop, Then a grocers shop - the owner was called Charley ?

Len F.

The fish & chip shop was Rawsons.

Next door, after Charley died, came Mrs Mather (Mr Mather worked for the NCB).

The other side of the passage was Walkers Toy Shop followed by Walkers Sweet Shop.

Then came Peppers (a herbalist)

After Peppers was a door with a glass panel saying 'Ethel (can't remember her surname) Wreaths made to order'. I never saw that door open.

Then there was a Ladies Hairdresser (can't remember the name).

On the corner was Harrisons beer-off.

Hi tosh' there was Noel the oldest then i think possibly Tony then Dean (Deano) the youngest who was my old mate.

You nearly got it right mate, 4 brothers in all ,Tony was the eldest who I used to knock around with as a kid then there was Noel, Gary and Dean...we got up to all sorts of mischief in the mid-sixties belive me we were only 11 or 12 but that didn't stop us nickin' a barrel o'beer from a new Indian restaurant that had just opened on Abbeydale Rd and then takin it back to Tony's for a party while his parents were out boozin...!!

You nearly got it right mate, 4 brothers in all ,Tony was the eldest who I used to knock around with as a kid then there was Noel, Gary and Dean...we got up to all sorts of mischief in the mid-sixties belive me we were only 11 or 12 but that didn't stop us nickin' a barrel o'beer from a new Indian restaurant that had just opened on Abbeydale Rd and then takin it back to Tony's for a party while his parents were out boozin...!!

Yea your 100% right Steve. Me and Deano (who at the time spoke a lot of dog latin) had some right laughs as well. Was Mr Wilson a bit of a boxer? Im sure he had two jobs, one was with Securicor and he sometimes brought the security van home. Funny how Noel use to threaten me a Dean not to get in any trouble and him just as bad lol.

I was born & lived in Well Rd, Heeley 1960 to 65. My family also occupied most of the block of 6 back to back houses/shops. My grandmother & grandfather Sid & Nora Fry had the bakers/tripe shop, my aunt Olive & Arthur Payne had the hairdressers & greengrocers. My Grandad Sid had a workshop above a shop or something down London Rd. He did a lot of work for cinemas & also did work for some of the gangs venues & clubs, so didn't make a great profit.

I well remember Taggy's ice cream & bands marching by one day, going down the yard to the outside toilet, newspaper squares nailed on the door to wipe.

The Lump across the Rd from us, Mr Kendall's yard just up from us (I saw his chimney fall down in the gales on night, from my mum & dad's bed, as the storm had spooked me too). The boy next door to grandma's was called Broderick & always wanted to set fire to things!!!.

I loved Heeley, visiting my family regularly until they were forced out by compulsory purchase order.

I have only just found this thread, it has sparked off great memories, thanks to all that have posted & made this a great site.

I was born & lived in Well Rd, Heeley 1960 to 65. My family also occupied most of the block of 6 back to back houses/shops. My grandmother & grandfather Sid & Nora Fry had the bakers/tripe shop, my aunt Olive & Arthur Payne had the hairdressers & greengrocers. My Grandad Sid had a workshop above a shop or something down London Rd. He did a lot of work for cinemas & also did work for some of the gangs venues & clubs, so didn't make a great profit.

I well remember Taggy's ice cream & bands marching by one day, going down the yard to the outside toilet, newspaper squares nailed on the door to wipe.

The Lump across the Rd from us, Mr Kendall's yard just up from us (I saw his chimney fall down in the gales on night, from my mum & dad's bed, as the storm had spooked me too). The boy next door to grandma's was called Broderick & always wanted to set fire to things!!!.

I loved Heeley, visiting my family regularly until they were forced out by compulsory purchase order.

I have only just found this thread, it has sparked off great memories, thanks to all that have posted & made this a great site.

My mums friend remembers Broderick and he had a younger sister called Bernadette I think she said

Many memories - Heeley Bottom and the old man who used to sell the Sunday papers - the sweet shop at the bottom of the gennel just before the dairy on Broadfield Road, walking along the river band and climbing up what seemed a high wall just after the Heeley baths, the old bridge - saw a photo of Broadfield Road on google street view - couldn't believe there are traffic lights at Bedale Road. Cutts Terrace, Markham Terrace, Saxon Road - anyone remember the same?

hiya markfry

my wife and me were married in 1961,our first home was on gleadless road we moved in 1962 in the the terrace houses opposite taggy's shop at 49.we lived there until 1967 then due to compulsory purchase, then we moved onto the jordanthorpe then in the seventies my wife started work on the home helps ond one of her visits were to your grandfather and grandmother, she allways said what a lovely couple they were. my wife told me your grandma would only heve a certain marmalade on her toast at breakfast my wife looked forward to her visits, as they were always grateful, i myself never met them but as they came from heeley i suppose they had the heeley bond

p s while you were in bed with your parents when the 1962 gales were going on that night my wife and me had only been in our house about 4 weeks as you say happy days. small world innit.

When the Heeley Palace was still standing there was a paper shop same side just up well rd.

Remember it was owned by an ex-United player in the early 60s, was it Harold Brook?

and I remember there was a customized Land rover used to park on the bend higher up with the legend "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" above the passenger side...

Ring any bells...

hiya grinder, i used to use the said papershop it got me thinking who's shop it was, could it have been tommy hoyland? i know he had a pub in between london rd and bramall lane my son used to go in there with his mates they called it the "office" i know jimmy hagan and harold brook had a sports shop opposite wigfalls on london rd.

Edited by willybite

dose anyone remember bob barry joan margaret graharm maureen sheila was all kay at some time

dose anyone remember bob barry joan margaret graharm maureen sheila was all kay at some time

My mum remembers them one of them married a bloke called Judd