Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

On 04/12/2020 at 22:53, sedith said:

Does anyone remember the Silhouette Club, later Highway 61? Corner of Broadfield Road

Hi sedith. I remember the Silhouette and Highway 61 above the shops on the corner

Later on , it’s where Delyse Humphries had her model agency.

On 03/12/2020 at 13:04, bassett one said:

i worked at staniforth carpets as a young lad,then worked at as was manager at mathews furniture shop  on the heeley bridge,then worked at the carpet shop opposite,there was the corner cafe,car showroom,shoe shops,old ernest had a swag shop,great chap,there was the sarnie shops,packed crowds on a sat,great times enjoyed my days there,until i moved to work at attercliffe ,inside banners.i often visit,better in some ways now,but shopping has changed with online and out of town centres,but great days,miss those yorkshire puds from the cafe on the corner,can still taste them now,great days

Thanks for the kind word about Earnest, he was my uncle and also my Godparent. He was a bit of a character, he used to take me everywhere when I was a kid.

Just wimbling through the various topics on this forum to alleviate COVID boredom.   I lived at 36 Glover Road from 62 to 66. Went to Lowfield school, well, it was at the bottom of the road. There was a corner shop halfway down at Gifford Road. Seem to recall it was run by Mrs Wareing.  Excellent chippy opposite the school.

Anyone remember the school dentist? Terrified me.

Went to Boys Brigade at Brunswick Trinity Methodist church. 
Seem to remember a very good bakery, opposite Fine Fare. Travelled for a day trip to Belle Vue from Heeley station.

Unfortunately the smoke and soot in the atmosphere didn’t agree with my lungs and suffered with respiratory trouble all the time we lived there. 

Happy days,