Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

5 minutes ago, only_me said:

Yea went to school with Danny and Karen, also remember her brother. Remember Stans shop and the other shops Deborah Nash?   Some of my friends friends lived on Bramhall lane. 

Was your dad a security man back then by any chance?

Hi,

I knocked about with Karen's brother Martin.  Yeah Deborah Nash was Lee's sister. My dad was a bus driver at that time . You probably know my brother & sister,  Antony & Karen Baxter, they're same sort of age as Danny Davies & Karen Crowther.  Some other names Johnsons family,  the Harvey's, the Bookers & the Flemmings. 

I remember your family name but cant put a face to it as its so long ago, did Martin & Karen Crowther live on the road behind you?

Remember Michelle Morgan? Do you mean the Johnsons who lived on Fieldhead Rd?

Remember Craig Flemming and his younger brother well, my old friend Dean  lived close to them.  

Seen Danny Davies not to long ago.

i worked at staniforth carpets as a young lad,then worked at as was manager at mathews furniture shop  on the heeley bridge,then worked at the carpet shop opposite,there was the corner cafe,car showroom,shoe shops,old ernest had a swag shop,great chap,there was the sarnie shops,packed crowds on a sat,great times enjoyed my days there,until i moved to work at attercliffe ,inside banners.i often visit,better in some ways now,but shopping has changed with online and out of town centres,but great days,miss those yorkshire puds from the cafe on the corner,can still taste them now,great days

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

i worked at staniforth carpets as a young lad,then worked at as was manager at mathews furniture shop  on the heeley bridge,then worked at the carpet shop opposite,there was the corner cafe,car showroom,shoe shops,old ernest had a swag shop,great chap,there was the sarnie shops,packed crowds on a sat,great times enjoyed my days there,until i moved to work at attercliffe ,inside banners.i often visit,better in some ways now,but shopping has changed with online and out of town centres,but great days,miss those yorkshire puds from the cafe on the corner,can still taste them now,great days

I remember Mathews next door to the little newsagent, later belonged to betty, army stores, the cafe mid to late 1970s though. 

There was a bloke called Ron who ran a cafe on Asline road, He later had a second hand shop somewhere on heeley bottom.

8 hours ago, only_me said:

I remember your family name but cant put a face to it as its so long ago, did Martin & Karen Crowther live on the road behind you?

Remember Michelle Morgan? Do you mean the Johnsons who lived on Fieldhead Rd?

Remember Craig Flemming and his younger brother well, my old friend Dean  lived close to them.  

Seen Danny Davies not to long ago.

Hi,

Yes they did. 

Michelle Morgan rings a bell, but can't say for sure.

Not sure exactly where the Johnsons lived, but they were called Susan, Paul & Andrew.

Yeah I remember Craig Flemming, his brothers, along with Danny Davies, used to knock around with my brother and were always at our house having toast & tea.

I see Danny knocking around from time to time, last saw him few years back up at meadowhead. 

Do you remember the Crowther family starring in a documentary on T.V?  I've been trying to find it online but had no luck.  It was about 3 families from different social classes and they were one of the families.

16 hours ago, White2 said:

Hi,

Yes they did. 

Michelle Morgan rings a bell, but can't say for sure.

Not sure exactly where the Johnsons lived, but they were called Susan, Paul & Andrew.

Yeah I remember Craig Flemming, his brothers, along with Danny Davies, used to knock around with my brother and were always at our house having toast & tea.

I see Danny knocking around from time to time, last saw him few years back up at meadowhead. 

Do you remember the Crowther family starring in a documentary on T.V?  I've been trying to find it online but had no luck.  It was about 3 families from different social classes and they were one of the families.

Hi,  I do remember the Johnsons,  Andy was a good snooker player often seen at Langtons.

I never seen that documentary you mention but would love to see it, I presume you have no contact with the Crowther's?

Can you remember the approximate year it was made?

I have just looked on Facebook but no direct Crowther links?  Did they move out out of town?  Perhaps their the only people who have a copy,  just a thought.

Edited by only_me

3 hours ago, only_me said:

Hi,  I do remember the Johnsons,  Andy was a good snooker player often seen at Langtons.

I never seen that documentary you mention but would love to see it, I presume you have no contact with the Crowther's?

Can you remember the approximate year it was made?

I have just looked on Facebook but no direct Crowther links?  Did they move out out of town?  Perhaps their the only people who have a copy,  just a thought.

Hi,

Langtons snooker hall.. spent many an hour in there when I got older.

No not seen any of the Crowthers since end of 1978 when we moved out.  Although I do know they moved somewhere near the top end of East Bank Road.  I'm not on Facebook or anything so not attempted to track them down, but would like to see Martin again.

Not 100% sure but would guess it was around 1976/1977.

My wife, together with her mum and dad, lived on Saxon Road until '70/'71.

A few slaps round her legs for playing on the wall next to the river!

3 hours ago, White2 said:

Hi,

Langtons snooker hall.. spent many an hour in there when I got older.

No not seen any of the Crowthers since end of 1978 when we moved out.  Although I do know they moved somewhere near the top end of East Bank Road.  I'm not on Facebook or anything so not attempted to track them down, but would like to see Martin again.

Not 100% sure but would guess it was around 1976/1977.

There is some good pics of heeley bottom on the link below.  Not sure if you knew or remember a kid called Eric Shipley, he gives a thumbs up toward the end of the vid.

Edited by only_me

2 hours ago, only_me said:

There is some good pics of heeley bottom on the link below.  Not sure if you knew or remember a kid called Eric Shipley, he gives a thumbs up toward the end of the vid.

Hi,

Thanks for the vid.  I've actually seen this a few times and thought he looked familiar but wouldn't have remembered his name without you saying it!  Just trying to remember exactly how I knew him.  I know I know him but can't pinpoint exactly how.  Can you remember where he lived on Heeley? 

.... Just found out he was in the same class as my sister!  Was his sister called Susan?

Does anyone remember the Silhouette Club, later Highway 61? Corner of Broadfield Road

9 minutes ago, White2 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the vid.  I've actually seen this a few times and thought he looked familiar but wouldn't have remembered his name without you saying it!  Just trying to remember exactly how I knew him.  I know I know him but can't pinpoint exactly how.  Can you remember where he lived on Heeley? 

.... Just found out he was in the same class as my sister!  Was his sister called Susan?

He  lived on Holland road as you go from Asline  about half way up on the left.

I think his sister  was called Leslie who I seem to think was a WPC? Could be wrong.

I remember Eric's dad worked for Frank Phillips   Skips. I did see Eric some years ago also driving a skip waggon