Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

My Dad's family lived on Edwin Road.  I don't think the houses are still there.  His father was called Sid Degney (a billposter but he originally came off Little London Road) but they lived with his mum's family which was the Aspinall's (Bert, Jack and Les Aspinall was his uncle's name). 

His aunt and uncle also lived on the road, I think until they knocked the old houses down and they moved to East Bank Road. Their names was Jim and Sis Feldwicke. Jim was a driver at Tommy Ward's.

Does anyone know where there are any photos online of what the old Edwin Road looked like?

Had a school chum on Edwin Road. John "Cromwell" Oldfield.

He was a mathematics genius. Could multiply and divide large numbers in his head.

Often wondered if this talent went to waste  on a building site or in the mill!

Does anyone know where I can see pictures of the old heeley that I recognise. I can picture where our old house would have been, would love to see our row of terraces again. Ours was the end one with a pink shed at the back of the garden. We were just around the corner from Ann's road school.

On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 04:02, seamuscleary said:

Does anyone know where I can see pictures of the old heeley that I recognise. I can picture where our old house would have been, would love to see our row of terraces again. Ours was the end one with a pink shed at the back of the garden. We were just around the corner from Ann's road school.

Your best bet is to join the Heeley Past and Present group on Facebook. Old pictures are regularly posted on there by former residents.

On 28/08/2019 at 13:06, seamuscleary said:

Before we got the house in Heeley we lived with one of our uncles in woodhouse. the other one lived in hillsborough. a third uncle lived in manchester. Anns road primary school at the time was an old victorian building, the school always had a good name, which i believe continues to the present day. The school was massive, when we were there, there was some renovation work going on. For a period of time we were all bussed out to another school to allow the work to be done. I dont know if anyone else remembers this or not. We had seperate entrances and exits for boys and girls then. The new school building must be different now. Its a shame to see that the victorian building that we went to is now disused and attacked by vandals with windows broken. I hope at some stage it will be used again for something. I think we lived in Heeley 1972-1973. Went back to sheffield a while ago and walked the short distance from the midland station down into Heeley. Was good to see it once more. All relatively new houses now. followed anns road around into gleadless road to see if i could remember where the old house was. When i found the road opposite where the house was all the fond memories came back. It had all changed, but in that moment Heeley was the beautiful place it had always been to me.

Hi mate, haven’t been on here for a long time but just to say: I lived on Annes Road/ Richards Road junction at the time you mention. The corner shop was called Drakies and sold loose biscuits from a big old glass cabinet among other delights. Also homemade ice lollies for a penny each during the summer. It had a set of yellow weighing scales outside in case anyone felt the need to randomly weigh themselves presumably! Diagonally opposite was an old barber shop which had Wrigleys and Beech Nut chewing gum machines on the wall outside, next to that was the chippy. I also went to Annes Road school and remember the refurb work you mention. We had to get on old open back busses every morning and travel to Woodhouse for the duration of the works. Upon our return to the newly refurbished Annes Road we thought we had traveled to the future, old classrooms had been replaced by an open plan “ base” system complete with the unheard of luxury of carpet! Each base had its own art and cooking areas and was run by two teachers, ours were Miss Pepall and Mr Bennett, they were great teachers. When I left to go to Newfield it looked like a much more modern building from the outside, imagine my disappointment when the inside revealed cramped old classrooms and battered old desks complete with archaic inkwells! Ah well, live and learn as they say. Cheers Jim.

Hi,

New to this.  Can anyone help post a photo of Queens Road in the 70s before the houses were demolished? Looking to see the old houses where Halfords now stands. Thanks in advance 

P.s. anyone live around those houses then?

2 hours ago, White2 said:

Hi,

New to this.  Can anyone help post a photo of Queens Road in the 70s before the houses were demolished? Looking to see the old houses where Halfords now stands. Thanks in advance 

P.s. anyone live around those houses then?

There are a few decent photos on picture Sheffield.  My dad worked at Spaffords where Halfords is now.  I remember the area well Skellys etc.

Picture sheffield

Picture sheffield

Edited by only_me

41 minutes ago, only_me said:

There are a few decent photos on picture Sheffield.  My dad worked at Spaffords where Halfords is now.  I remember the area well Skellys etc.

Picture sheffield

Picture sheffield

Thanks for the links!

Did you go to Lowfields school? I left there in 1978.

We used to play football against the gate of Spaffords and target the white lettering above, with the football!

I lived on Queens Road, on the stretch of houses right where halfords is. Can't quite see my old house on the links you sent or on Picture Sheffield.  

Did you live on Queens Road?

30 minutes ago, White2 said:

Thanks for the links!

Did you go to Lowfields school? I left there in 1978.

We used to play football against the gate of Spaffords and target the white lettering above, with the football!

I lived on Queens Road, on the stretch of houses right where halfords is. Can't quite see my old house on the links you sent or on Picture Sheffield.  

Did you live on Queens Road?

I didn't go to Lowfield's but know people who did like Everton Harper,  Jackie Spriggs, Tony Greyson,  Beckinghams? But to name a few.

I know the Davies family lived near to you but they were  a little older.  I lived across from Lowfield school but round the corner near the Chinese.

1 minute ago, only_me said:

I didn't go to Lowfield's but know people who did like Everton Harper,  Jackie Spriggs, Tony Greyson,  Beckinghams? But to name a few.

I know the Davies family lived near to you but they were  a little older.  I lived across from Lowfield school but round the corner near the Chinese.

Hi,

Yeah I know Everton, he was in my year.  Also Steven Hutchinson. I presume Jackie Spriggs was Stevens sister, who was also in my year. I knew Danny Davies too, he was my brothers best mate. Other names you might now, Michael & Jean Kent (lived in my yard). Martin & Karen Crowther.  Lee Nash.  Wayne Dalton. Kenneth Sales who's mum worked at the petrol station Queens Road, opposite Lowfields school. My sister worked in Stans fruit shop on the corner. Also remember the sweet shop next to the barbers that had all white chocolate in the window (sun had bleached it!). My mum also used to work in the butchers further up, just before Fine Fare. Think it was Thompsons. 

3 minutes ago, White2 said:

Hi,

Yeah I know Everton, he was in my year.  Also Steven Hutchinson. I presume Jackie Spriggs was Stevens sister, who was also in my year. I knew Danny Davies too, he was my brothers best mate. Other names you might now, Michael & Jean Kent (lived in my yard). Martin & Karen Crowther.  Lee Nash.  Wayne Dalton. Kenneth Sales who's mum worked at the petrol station Queens Road, opposite Lowfields school. My sister worked in Stans fruit shop on the corner. Also remember the sweet shop next to the barbers that had all white chocolate in the window (sun had bleached it!). My mum also used to work in the butchers further up, just before Fine Fare. Think it was Thompsons. 

Yea went to school with Danny and Karen, also remember her brother. Remember Stans shop and the other shops Deborah Nash?   Some of my friends friends lived on Bramhall lane. 

Was your dad a security man back then by any chance?