Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

Hi Mickward and Carruthers, I also lived on Valley road and went to that school , it was Carfield I was there from1957 to 1963 (then to Newfield) in the infants the head was Mrs Nichols and in the juniors it was Mr Chandler .Some teachers in the juniors Ms. Booth, Dean, and Platt,also Mr Bloxam and Vasey. Mr Wall was the swimming instructor at Heeley baths and his wife was a teacher in the infants.

The Fine Fare site used to be the Heeley Colliseum.

I remember the pictures well and we called it the collie for short,my late mom used to work there so i took all my mates in for free,the chap who worked the films was a guy called Leo and i can vaugly remember another woman who i think was called Peggy Sergent? but i could be wrong,i also got free ice cream and lollies,perks i suppose....in later years when i lived on tillotson road in my 20's my wife worked as a bingo caller at Heeley bottom picture palace so i hope she brought luck in calling out peoples numbers.

Hi Dave Downing, thanks for the school name...it's all coming back now! I lived at 136 Valley Road, between a family called Fisher and a family called Ellison (i think it was Ellison).

Hi Dave Downing, thanks for the school name...it's all coming back now! I lived at 136 Valley Road, between a family called Fisher and a family called Ellison (i think it was Ellison).

I think that would be Joan Fisher who I went to school with, she had an older sister Rita ( I think) and a younger one.

Yup, Joan and Rita and Marjorie. I had a photo of Marjorie and I on our way up Valley Road, on our first day at school. But my daft dad threw all his old photos away!

Where abouts did you live on Valley road?

Hi heeleybird I know I'm a bit late but just read your post from Nov 2011, the animal feed shop was called Scolies (not sure of spelling). And the gift shop was Kenderdines the two ladies were Mrs K and Mrs Butler. Don't forget W Goodrich butchers (I had a Saturday job there) Clarks the grocery shop. And the tobacconist wife who owned and ran the wool shop.

I left the area in the early seventies after being born and bread there. Bet I wouldn't know the place now but remember lots of great people.

---------- Post added 02-03-2015 at 20:38 ----------

Don't know how my post got on here I posted it to Heeleybird about shops at the bottom of valley road. However something may come of it.

Referring to an earlier post, the lady who owned the Heeley Coliseum was Miss Blaskey, she had a sister who had a shop on Totley Rise called the Baby Bar.

You're right about Harold Brooks Woggle :D

Mrs Nora Fry of the bakers shop was my Grandmother & I would quite often assist :huh:(age 4 or 5), especially if the customer usually tipped. ;). We lived at the opposite side of the gennel, 4 houses away in the back to back's, so I used to go to Brocks for my grandfather's Green Un which was a great adventure for me, especially as I used to ask for a 'Green One'.

I remember Mrs Frys oatcakes, they were legendary

Anyone recollect Thompsons bicycle shop at Heeley on Chesterfield Rd? The owner built cycle frames with a metal badge soldered to the headtube in the form of a letter T. He also owned the Pewit cyclists' cafe at Owler Bar. I first visited the shop in 1953,but left Sheffield in 1957. What happened to the businesses and owner?

Yup, Joan and Rita and Marjorie. I had a photo of Marjorie and I on our way up Valley Road, on our first day at school. But my daft dad threw all his old photos away!

Where abouts did you live on Valley road?

Hi Duffems,

Sorry for the delay in answering, we lived at 136 Valley Road. Does anyone remember the off-license at the bottom of Valley Road? If Marjorie Fisher is reading this, it would be nice to talk to you via my email (mick58ward@aol.co.uk).