Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

Any memories anyone?

Edited by nikki-red

My playground in the sixties - especially the river at Heeley Bridge.

Same here me & my mate used to play down under the bridge all the time,we had some right laughs down there.great memories

There used to be some right deep bits where if you threw a big stone in it would splash back up onto the road

Our old neighbour Ian Andrews was bragging about some new wellies he had,so we took them off his feet & threw them into the river,he was very upset at the time,so if Ian see's this I apologies LOL

I remember a great toy shop where we could spend our pocket money after my mum had done her shopping at "Fine Fare" then we had to track back up to the top of Richards Rd with the shopping. (no car).

The post office was still open ... I used to long to work in there when I grew up. :smile:

Fine Fare,

Prize Bingo underneath the railway bridge.

Major floods down Broadfield Rd.

Ernest's shop? used to be nr Fine fare and sold a load of old tat.

Maybe this was a bit later in the 70's.

Langtons Shoe shop.

God knows why we never caught anything nasty from playing down there all day. The rivers' edge used to be a forest of Himalayan Balsam and you could paddle up to the London Rd bridge past some steel factory on Saxon Rd.

If you followed the river there, it turned right to follow Broadfield Rd. Underneath, near the rickety wooden bridge there was a sewer outlet or something. We used to take torches and follow it as far as we'd dare.

You could also climb up onto the railway lines from London Rd bridge and take your chances until you got to the derelict Heeley Station.

There was a subway of some sort that was blocked off at the Chesterfield Rd side that would have opened right in front of the Heeley Palace.

I can't understand why some of us never got killed or worse.

We never got up to anything wicked - but we were definately out of control at times.

My dad used to live on Richards road, both my parents are from heeley. The house my dad lived in was knocked down.

In the early 70's we used to hang around cutlers walk (it ran from gleadless rd to guernsey rd) . Any one remember spaffords toolmakers that stood behind where halfords is now. And all the shops including the post office and bingo under the bridge' and the army stores further along. was hardy's bakery around in the 60's (up the side of the bridge pub). Also there were 4 banks so it shows how busy heeley bottom was in those days.

Originally posted by sexylass1983

My dad used to live on Richards road, both my parents are from heeley. The house my dad lived in was knocked down.

I used to live on Forster Road up to 1975.

I remember when under the Heeley Bridge used to get flooded & some moron tried getting through in a triumph spitfire,his car was nearly submerged & he got out wet through & he swore a lot.Heeley Picture Palace was of fond memories & 1 bad memory,I had to leave my Man From Uncle gun at the pay in & when I came out the woman had gone & so had my gun,I never got it back,I was heartbroken,so if anyone has seen my gun.please let me know LOL