Heeley Bottom In The 60'S And 70'S

Funny that, cos my Grandma who lived on Springwood road worked at Tyzacks - it was Mark Tyzacks back then and her name was Edna Strafford (nee Hunter)

I have Soooooo many questions about Heeley - and sooo many memories too, mostly from the 70's, but i do remember most of the shops discussed on here. I remember walking on heeley shops and buying a bunch of 45's from a second hand store and going back to Grandma's and playing them on her gramophone player. Ahhh sweet memories

Mikey xx

Funny you should mention Springwood Road, my grandma and granddad lived there and my mum was born their, the surname was Cobb Clara and herbert. Is the road still there l wonder.

I seem to think it was above Langtons Shoe Shop

I remember back in the 50/60 A small dark haired lady who was the owner of the Heeley Coliseum pictures, I always understood she was Mrs Langton and that she also owned the shoe shop as well...

Edited by grinder

Funny you should mention Springwood Road, my grandma and granddad lived there and my mum was born their, the surname was Cobb Clara and herbert. Is the road still there l wonder.

Hi Aries.

yes Springwood Road is still there, I walk up and down it on a regular basis.

Most of the old houses on the R/H side going up hill are sill standing,

there was a Herbert Cobb junior, surgical instrument maker, living @ 46

Springwood Road in 1925.

Here is number 46 (the one on the L/H side if the entry)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Springwood+Rd,+Sheffield,+UK&hl=en&ll=53.359499,-1.470636&spn=0.000818,0.00169&sll=53.382253,-1.462984&sspn=0.025956,0.054073&vpsrc=6&hnear=Springwood+Rd,+Sheffield,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.359552,-1.470743&panoid=XTEt9p2PVasNMNfBzxhShQ&cbp=12,203.82,,0,-5.43

Walter Phillips, at the pork shop AFAIR, only had a son ... Young Walter as he was known ... don't think he ever married but I could be wrong was only a child at the time.

Jessie Pashley's shop was further up past the bottom of Albert Road ... maybe where In A Nutshell is now. We used to be sent there to get pork sandwiches sometimes ... yummy they were too! Although we mostly got pork from Mr Phillips shop.

The chippy was a chinese chippy in the 60s called the Sun? They used to do these rissole things called savoury cakes, they were lovely!!

Trying to remember the shops when I was a teen, Proctors(mum always got potted meat from there, home made, I think and sugared almonds, Ponsfords had about four or five of the shops, then the Rendezvous coffee bar, a greengrocers, The Sun chinese chip shop, White Lion, then Kings the Grocer, then the genuine USA style Bendix Launderette at the bottom of Artisan View, Freddie Wood's barbers and hair salon, a wet fish shop, another greengrocer, gregorys bakers, Walter Phillips pork shop, don't know whether the bookies was there then, then the motor bike shop (which used to be Wigfalls years before), Thirlwell Rd, Red Lion, Albert Road, Crown Inn, then a little sweetie cum all sorts shop which was once a pig shed or something, I can't remember anymore till Taylors at the corner of Meersbrook Park Road and the Co-Op on the other corner ..

A Few more to add to the list were Binks Bakery next door to an old chinese laundry that was called Yuns, A old shop where you could get animal feed, no idea of the name but they had a massive alsation dog. The gift shop run by two old sisters almost next to the old Natwest Bank corner of Valley Road. K & L M Larder, Chemists (now the tattoo parlour), Revills the key cutter and hardware shop, then Siddalls hairdressers. The new police station then was built (somewhere around 1960 ) on waste ground of some sort , between the police station and meersbrook park road I recall a greengrocers called Dutfields and a tobbaconist shop before you got to taylors news.

A Few more to add to the list were Binks Bakery next door to an old chinese laundry that was called Yuns, A old shop where you could get animal feed, no idea of the name but they had a massive alsation dog. The gift shop run by two old sisters almost next to the old Natwest Bank corner of Valley Road. K & L M Larder, Chemists (now the tattoo parlour), Revills the key cutter and hardware shop, then Siddalls hairdressers. The new police station then was built (somewhere around 1960 ) on waste ground of some sort , between the police station and meersbrook park road I recall a greengrocers called Dutfields and a tobbaconist shop before you got to taylors news.

Has anybody noticed that The White Lion Pubs stained glass windows say 'Windsor Ales' yet the right hand window has the ' N ' the wrong way round :huh:

Has anybody noticed that The White Lion Pubs stained glass windows say 'Windsor Ales' yet the right hand window has the ' N ' the wrong way round :huh:

The 'N' is not the wrong way round !

If you go inside, it is the rest of the letters that are the wrong way.

:D

Slightly off area but my uncle Paddy used to have second hand shop on London road, my grandma got me a dansette record player from there, it was a multi change, grey vinyl covered with padded top:hihi::love:

There was the meadow a shop that sold food next to the fishmongers

There was the meadow a shop that sold food next to the fishmongers

Baldocks ?

I lived on Valley Road as a kid in the sixties and went to the school at the top of upper Valley Road (I forget it's name). Seem to remember walking under the bridge to get to the swimming baths and stopping off at a dairy to buy a carton of milk or orange juice out of a machine in the dairy wall.

I think that my mum used to use a was-house to do her laundry in, it must have been around Heeley bottom somewhere...any ideas?

I lived on Valley Road as a kid in the sixties and went to the school at the top of upper Valley Road (I forget it's name). Seem to remember walking under the bridge to get to the swimming baths and stopping off at a dairy to buy a carton of milk or orange juice out of a machine in the dairy wall.

I think that my mum used to use a was-house to do her laundry in, it must have been around Heeley bottom somewhere...any ideas?

On Broadfield Road, near Heeley Baths.

I lived on Valley Road as a kid in the sixties and went to the school at the top of upper Valley Road (I forget it's name).

Perhaps you are thinking of the school on Argyle Road/Close ?

Google Street View