What's all this fuss about dogs fouling on the pavement?

Originally posted by sccsux

Which brings me back to my point that cats (and dogs) are temporarily domesticated wild animals that have no place in modern society:). Other than to make some humans feel better about themselves.

Owning a pet might very well make some people feel better about themselves. Is that a bad thing? I have cats because I like them and like to have them around, but if it makes others feel better about themselves, I think that can only be a good thing.

Domestic cats (and I think dogs, but I haven't double-checked this), belong to a distinct species. For the domestic cat, this is Felis cattus, which is descended from wild cats. They are not wild cats temporarily domesticated. They are a separate domestic species.

Owning a cat or dog also has tremendous benefits to us. They reduce stress (apart from when they puke 5 minutes before you've got to go to work ;) ), they give us affection, dogs get their owners out for a walk, they show children how to care for and treat other creatures. When you get home from work and your cat comes running with his tail up for a cuddle and some meat it makes you feel good, it also makes the cat feel good.

I'm not alone in valuing my cats as though they were children. I would love a dog too but wouldn't have time to walk him so I have not got one at present. But my cats don't go out and kill things, they don't crap everywhere either. Like a lot of Americans, I keep them indoors as it's better for them - no chance of being run over, tormented, shot, getting worms, having fights, catching feline HIV.

By the way, it's a total myth that cats 'like' to sleep on babies' heads. They are more likely to keep away from a baby thrashing about and crying!

Originally posted by ppn_2204

Domestic cats (and I think dogs, but I haven't double-checked this), belong to a distinct species.

Domestic cats share the same animal qualities found in Lions, Pumas, Jaguars, Tigers etc (just on a smaller scale). I also think you'll find that on a genetic level, they are almost identical. The same goes for domestic dogs basically being wolves.

For the domestic cat, this is Felis cattus, which is descended from wild cats.

See?

They are a separate domestic species.

No. They are just a different breed of cat, not a different species:rolleyes:

How many species of animal are there in the world? How many sh*t outside?

Originally posted by Mathom

I keep them indoors as it's better for them - no chance of being run over, tormented, shot, getting worms, having fights, catching feline HIV.

You then, are one of the responsible cat owners:clap::thumbsup:.

If other cat (and dog) owners had this attitude, this would have been a very short thread.

Alas, the irresponsible ones still open the door and let them roam, without a though or care in the world.:(

Originally posted by fnkysknky

How many species of animal are there in the world? How many sh*t outside?

Not actually got round to counting... However, I do believe that there is only one that doesn't & that's us (though I believe there are exceptions:D).

Domestic cats share the same animal qualities found in Lions, Pumas, Jaguars, Tigers etc (just on a smaller scale). I also think you'll find that on a genetic level, they are almost identical. The same goes for domestic dogs basically being wolves.

On a genetic basis, humans are very similar to chimpanzees. Doesn't mean that all of us enjoy throwing our poo at eachother, as I've seen chimps do. Yes, cats do share genes with lions etc. It doesn't necessarily follow that they share the associaited behavioural characteristics, or are just small scale versions of them. The genes which do differ between the domestic cat and its wild counterparts, coupled with the different environments, are sufficent to render the domestic cat, well, domestic.

See?

Actually, no, I don't see your point there at all. Domestic cats are descended from their wild ancestors. They are now a distinct species.

No. They are just a different breed of cat, not a different species:rolleyes:

No, the domestic cat is a distinct species. There are different breeds of dometic cat (the Persian, Devon Rex etc), but they are all members of the same species.

First of all, my animals make me feel better. Not better about myself, just make me happy.

They don't increase my self esteem or anything like that.

The dog gives me a reason to get up and go out. The cats give me a reason to stay in bed and have cuddles.

They keep me busy and active. I'm ill and would quite happily stay laid about all day but my dog gives me a reason to get out.

I can be in the worst of moods but one grin from my puppy and seeing the pile of toys dropped at my feet makes me feel better.

So when she poos I feel it's a small price to pay to pick it up for everything I get from her.

In addition. I do not SEND my cats out. They're 8 years old now and generally sleep all day but they do have a cat flap. So they are free to come and go as they please.

I refuse to keep my cats in. Despite having one cat run over years ago, I firmly believe that my cats are far happier outside (when they want to be) than stuck inside all the time. I'd rather they lived slightly shorter lives to the full than be kept cooped up for longer.

Yes, the garden will be secured and my dog will be kept in the garden but you can't secure a cat into a garden. It just doesn't happen! I can't justify keeping a cat in the house 24/7 while my dog will be outside in a confined area. My cats only roam through our garden and next door's garden so I just can't condone keeping my cats in. Other people's cats, it's their choice, but mine would hate to be kept in (especially now aged 8).

Like I said - if I saw my cat poop in next door's garden (while I was around) I would offer to clear it up.

I clear up the poop in our garden (they have a litter tray at the top end of the garden which they use). So I do pick up after my cats when I'm aware of them doing it. Like I do my dog.

It doesn't necessarily follow that they share the associaited behavioural characteristics, or are just small scale versions of them.

Well, I've seen Lions etc tear animals apart, and I've seen "domesticated" cats do the same.

You know what?

The process is identical!.

The same goes for dogs.

Well, I've seen Lions etc tear animals apart, and I've seen "domesticated" cats do the same.

You know what?

The process is identical!.

The same goes for dogs.

Yep, cats kill birds and small furry creatures. I've yet to see one attack and kill a human. But I am glad you agree that the domestic cat is a separate species from lions, tigers etc.

LOL. Yes, I send Merlin out every morning with just those instructions. I agree, a dog does tend to poo on it's own property... apart from when it's pooing in parks, on pavements, on grass verges, on cycle paths, on beaches...

Yes, but i'm a responsible dog owner - so my dogs never leave poo behind (Well, very rarely if im honest) - where as most cats almost always leave poo behind, usually in someones garden.

Thats just not right:(

But I am glad you agree that the domestic cat is a separate species from lions, tigers etc.

I don't. Then again I don't differentiate between a dog & a wolf, domestic pig & a wild boar, human and an Orang-Utan......

My point remains. Cat owners should face the same restrictions dog owners do. Both are capable of spreading disease. Both damage other peoples property. However, only dogs need to be on a lead.