What's all this fuss about dogs fouling on the pavement?

Originally posted by ppn_2204

I think that the issue of dog/cat/whatever poo in public places is quite a serious one. It has several aspects, from the issue of diseases, to the inconvenience caused for others. Maybe you'd like to contribute something to it other than sarcastic comments?

Go back, read again. I've contributed sufficiently and don't feel the need to harp on and on and on and on and on ................. going round and round and round and feel like I have to have the last word.

But feel free, go ahead, the floor is yours, it seems to mean so much to you.

;)

Originally posted by sccsux

Nope.

I truly do not like the vicious little creatures (though I wouldn't actually kill one) and (if I had my way) all cats would be treat the same as dogs (ie. indoors, or on a lead)!

So not an objective standpoint then? :D

Having had to attend hospital with my young brother (many, many years ago) for a tetinus injection and follow up apps, 'cause somebody let their animal loose, which (in turn) scratched him, opening a deep wound in his hand, did nothing to endear them to me.

That's dreadful. Lucky, though, that it wasn't a dog that bit him. He could have ended up with major surgery or worse.

I've had countless bites and scratches from my cats in the course of stuffing them in their baskets or giving medicine and no harm at all. For a cat to go truly savage and properly hurt you, you'd have to be mistreating him.

Mine stay indoors as there are too many loonies out there who wouldn't give a damn about running them over or hurting them. And I've said it before, there are many many ways to stop them using the garden as a toilet. I have loads of cat owning neighbours and yet no turds in my garden because I actually have some plants in it so they have nowhere to crap.

For those of you who may be expecting Armageddon from cats, here comes the Reaper Mk. 3.

She will cuddle you and lick you to death....AAAAAhhhhhhhh

I think that the issue of dog/cat/whatever poo in public places is quite a serious one. It has several aspects, from the issue of diseases, to the inconvenience caused for others. Maybe you'd like to contribute something to it other than sarcastic comments?

You're expecting serious replies, to a thread started by kirky?

I usually frequent the Computer & Tech Chat forum, and even I know that most threads started by him, usually end up being "rather silly":D

So not an objective standpoint then? :D

That's dreadful. Lucky, though, that it wasn't a dog that bit him. He could have ended up with major surgery or worse.

The cat had (probibly) had a poo, and got some on its claws whilst burying it, which then got transfered to my brother, thus infecting his hand.

As an aside, I've been bitten lots (8-9 times) by dogs (of various sizes) some deep, gaping wounds, some small "nicks" and all healed quicker than the one one my brothers hand. Which (to my mind) says you're better off getting bitten by a dog.

The other point is, we had no way of tracing the owner of the cat, so were unable to persue the issue. Which makes (again, in my mind) cat owners worse than dog owners who don't do the poo picking up routine.

As I said previously, cats & dogs are the same (wild animals, temporarily domesticated) with the potential to cause the same ammount of harm, and as such, owners should be made to follow the same rules (ie on a lead if outdoors). If people're that worried about having fun made of themselves whilst walking the cat, then simply don't have one.

Originally posted by Titian

Go back, read again. I've contributed sufficiently and don't feel the need to harp on and on and on and on and on ................. going round and round and round and feel like I have to have the last word.

But feel free, go ahead, the floor is yours, it seems to mean so much to you.

;)

I'm truly sorry. I obviously missed your earlier comments.

I prefer to refer to what you call 'harping on' as 'discussing an issue', but each to their own.

I also find your latter comments rather immature. If I've made a comment that someone might find offensive, then I fully expect to be called a moron or something similar. However, it would be better for the discussion, I think, if you could refrain from having a sly dig just because you don't agree with some of my views or my method of discussing them without contributing to the debate in hand.

Originally posted by Mathom

For a cat to go truly savage and properly hurt you, you'd have to be mistreating him.

Wrong!

The cat that attacked my brother was laid on a wall. All he did is try to stroke it, out came the claws, 2 deep wounds between thumb and index finger.

Maybe the owner was mistreating it? Who knows?

All I know is, I'd trust Tony Blair more than a cat:D.

Wrong!

The cat that attacked my brother was laid on a wall. All he did is try to stroke it, out came the claws, 2 deep wounds between thumb and index finger.

Your bro has learned that cats can't be stroked like a dog...they like to know you first.....our semi-feral cat Pinto would have had my HAND off when we first started looking after him...it takes a lot of time and ultimately a lot of patience before a cat will trust a STRANGER.

Wrong!

I'm not saying he was mistreating it - I couldn't as I don't know the full facts - if he had been mistreating it then he would have been hurt much more badly - as it happens the cat caught him in a vulnerable place.

But cats' body language will tell you if he does not want to be approached. They are only small animals and are actually very vulnerable, hence they are also highly strung. You'd rarely get one that would really hurt you in the way a dog could i.e. biting off your face. But they are still to be treated with caution, as you know.

Originally posted by shoeshine

For those of you who may be expecting Armageddon from cats, here comes the Reaper Mk. 3.

She will cuddle you and lick you to death....AAAAAhhhhhhhhh

I offer you the Anti-Christ...... Scoffer:D

Death is Here

She could be a star on My Cat Hates You :o

Originally posted by Mathom

She could be a star on My Cat Hates You :o

:D :D :D We decided we had better feed her after the photo..it postponed WW3 for a few hours:hihi:

You're expecting serious replies, to a thread started by kirky?

I usually frequent the Computer & Tech Chat forum, and even I know that most threads started by him, usually end up being "rather silly":D

If the topic has serious connotations, or if someone has contributed a serious post to an initially daft thread, then yes I do expect to see serious replies, irrespective of who started the thread.

The cat had (probibly) had a poo, and got some on its claws whilst burying it, which then got transfered to my brother, thus infecting his hand.

Yes, that is terrible and I don't dispute for a minute that it can happen. Did you say it was tetanus? If so, the infection is more likely to have come from soil contaminating the cat's claws, not from its poo. That's not to say that cats' poo doesn't contain parasites, of course, but the bacteria that causes tetanus is more likely to be found in the soil than in cat poo.

As an aside, I've been bitten lots (8-9 times) by dogs (of various sizes) some deep, gaping wounds, some small "nicks" and all healed quicker than the one one my brothers hand. Which (to my mind) says you're better off getting bitten by a dog.

The healing of cat, dog, or any other bites depends on how ragged the bite is and if there's any infection associated with it. An infected bite may take longer to heal than one which isn't infected.

The other point is, we had no way of tracing the owner of the cat, so were unable to persue the issue. Which makes (again, in my mind) cat owners worse than dog owners who don't do the poo picking up routine.

Although it was awful that your brother got a nasty infection from a cat bite/scratch, he was also terribly unlucky. Your brother might have been bitten by a dog. Just because you weren't able to trace the cat's owner, doesn't make the situation any better or worse as far as the bite is concerned. I presume there are also numerous examples of people getting bitten by dogs (both on and off the lead), which result in equally bad infections.

As I said previously, cats & dogs are the same (wild animals, temporarily domesticated) with the potential to cause the same ammount of harm, and as such, owners should be made to follow the same rules (ie on a lead if outdoors). If people're that worried about having fun made of themselves whilst walking the cat, then simply don't have one.

Cats are not wild animals temporarily domesticated. Domestic cats are a distinct species. I'm not sure about dogs, but I presume this is also the case for the domestic dog. I would also dispute that cats can do the same amount of damage as dogs. There are several cases of children being killed as a result of an attack by a pet dog.