Knock on effects-pubs-takeaways-taxis.

I drink at home because it's warm, comfortable, quick and easy, I can regulate the amount of noise and crap music and sit in front of my massive tv.

Thats what's killed the pub industry, people still go out to meet friends and stuff, but it's so easy to stay at home.

I think a lot of you make valid points. The tax take on a pibnt is much the same as it was in 1980, but the price has gone up, mainly through the greed of the pubco's. In Dewsbury the average price of a pint is ÂŁ2.20, in nearby York its ÂŁ4.50. That is down to supply and demand and ripping off tourists.

Youngsters today have such a large choice of how to spend their time and money and the pub is getting lower on the list of things to do. Succesive governments have also demonised kids and drinking, wich has led to landlords refusing to serve anyone who appears to be under 25.

If today's youth do not frequent the local pub then it will eventually close, as the customers die off.

If you're interested I've written a book on this very subject, http://www.deathoftheregular.com

As of the middle of October, Wetherspoons are under a one year boycott by me and my kin.

Why is that Chem?

As the price of beer has risen, people have stopped drinking in pubs as much. As a consequence of that, pubs have been closing and it is well documented. Often, after the pub it’s a taxi home (not to mention a takeaway maybe inbetween). Is it fair to say that as a consequence of the so called “duty escalator”, the taxi trade & private hire trades will be effected, and may well be feeling the effects already? Times that loss of income in Sheffield/Rotherham by however many cities there are in the UK and it’s also a big loss of government revenue.

Source FT.com“Beer duty rose by 7.2 per cent in the last Budget under the so-called duty escalator – introduced by Labour in 2008 – whereby tax on alcohol rises by a minimum of 2 per cent above inflation each year“.

That's the source for saying that duty rose, but what is the source that it resulted in a loss of custom in pubs?

I suspect you've made an error of causality here, ie assumed that the price is what is causing pubs to close.

Even if you were correct, the money not spent on takeaways and taxis is probably spent elsewhere, so it's no loss at all to the government.

I used to drink in 'my local' when I was young (too young to be served legally as it happens) The thing with a local is that it's near your house. I don't think anyone ever got a taxi there or back. There were also no takeaways or chip shops between it and my house (there was the other way to be fair) so I never went there either.

Why is that Chem?

A combination of price rises and dress code policies.

I now go elsewhere where it is cheaper (15% less per pint to be precise) and where I can wear what I want.

A combination of price rises and dress code policies.

I now go elsewhere where it is cheaper (15% less per pint to be precise) and where I can wear what I want.

Dress code in Wetherspoons? Crikey what do you go out dressed as??

You seem to be basing everything in your post on this first line. I don't think it highlights the actual reason for less [local] pub use. Comparatively speaking it's not much more expensive than it ever has been in the last 20 years to buy a pint in the the pub either. (using wages to compare the prices).

Home entertainment; internet/communications; better heating in houses; etc. These all contribute to less pub use.

The smoking ban has had a BIG impact on pubs, and beer is extortionate ÂŁ3.00 for a pint, oh I've had 1% pay rise in 5 years so if I still drank it is more expensive.

Its galling as when I 1st started I paid 17p a pint, and got ratted on a fiver and a nice Chinese supper.

I know people like to go down town, but in those pubs you're basically "just a face", there's no better feeling than walking into your local and everyone saying ah do Pete or the such.

I like to wear a hat. I am happy to take my hat off in people's homes, but not in a pub.

I like to wear a hat. I am happy to take my hat off in people's homes, but not in a pub.

I agree with you on that in pubs, when someone comes in ours with a hat on I politely ask them to remove it. I even ask the grandkids to take theirs off, I was brought up believing its bad luck to wear a hat in the house.

A Chimpanzee?

How do local pubs closing affect taxis anyway? Surely there's more demand for them if people have to go to town to get a decent pint & can't just walk home.

How do local pubs closing affect taxis anyway? Surely there's more demand for them if people have to go to town to get a decent pint & can't just walk home.

A Taxi will make more money doing shorter trips