Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

I am looking for a qualified gasman/company who does annual boiler servicing.

British Gas are quoting £150 + £60 per visit. This seems a lot to me.

I used to be with Keir but they seem to have stopped doing servicing.

Can anyone recommend anyone please?

Hi we have four time served experienced service and repair engineers and charge £50-£70 for a service depending on what and where it is please call me should you require our services,

Thanks

Mike

Met Gas Plumbers

Hello

I am new to Sheffield and having settled in I am planning to replace my ancient Alpha boiler.

I am looking at either:

Viessmann Vitodens 200-W 35kW Condensing Combi Boiler, or

ATAG A325EC 32kW Condensing Combi Boiler

My question is how many installers / engineers / plumbers on here have experience with these systems? Any preferences? Suggestions?

I have had both makes before and reliability has been phenomenal, but when my last ATAG had a hiccup (just before selling... typical) it took me a month to find an engineer who actually understood the boiler.

Thanks!

Atag are by far best boilers there is but as said very complicated and very pricey. You are better off with viessman due to fact that parts can be bought and come next day or even in stock at merchants and both are great boilers so down to personal preference.

Regards jonathan

Can anybody recommend a Company who will supply and install a new boiler with a decent payment plan.

Also have you had any experience with a new boiler obtained by these means?

Lauren, wouldn`t it be cheaper (on the interest) to get a personal loan from a bank, then you can get any boiler from any installer? Bank base rates are at lowest they`ve been for years.

I wonder if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with our central heating system? We have an Alpha cd25x/28x combination boiler which drives 8 radiators, not that we ever have them on all at once. Sometimes a radiator comes up to full heat but increasingly the radiators will only get warm, even though the room is well below temperature. This can happen even if only 1 radiator is on. On Thursday we put the front room radiators on at 10 am and by 6 pm the temperature was still only 61 degrees F. The boiler pressure is o'k. Hot water runs o'k. Any help appreciated.

right people need some advice i will give as much information a spossible but something isnt right here.

i live in a 1 bed flat above a shop and i am on a pay as you go meter ( i know i pay slightly more than normal for this and may change this soon)

but in the last 24 hours my heating has managed to use £10 of gas, yep thats £300 a month, my gas usage is noamlly 10-15 mins for a shower, 15-20 mins for cooking hob and i have the temp gauge set at about 20c in the evening and 16c when im in bed.

i work 6-6 so have the heating off in them hours, think i pay 16.3p per metre cubic of gas with npower +daily standing charge of 25p per day.

the only issue i can think of is my boiler being faulty, and it does seem to send my radiator hot/cold hot /cold in acycle and doesnt mantain temperature consistently.

but can anyone offer advice on this please....before im bankrupt !

I wonder if anyone has any idea what could be wrong with our central heating system? We have an Alpha cd25x/28x combination boiler which drives 8 radiators, not that we ever have them on all at once. Sometimes a radiator comes up to full heat but increasingly the radiators will only get warm, even though the room is well below temperature. This can happen even if only 1 radiator is on. On Thursday we put the front room radiators on at 10 am and by 6 pm the temperature was still only 61 degrees F. The boiler pressure is o'k. Hot water runs o'k. Any help appreciated.

IF you require an engineer visit one of our engineers is an ex aplha service engineer.

Thanks

Mike

Met Gas Plumbers Sheffield

---------- Post added 01-02-2015 at 18:35 ----------

right people need some advice i will give as much information a spossible but something isnt right here.

i live in a 1 bed flat above a shop and i am on a pay as you go meter ( i know i pay slightly more than normal for this and may change this soon)

but in the last 24 hours my heating has managed to use £10 of gas, yep thats £300 a month, my gas usage is noamlly 10-15 mins for a shower, 15-20 mins for cooking hob and i have the temp gauge set at about 20c in the evening and 16c when im in bed.

i work 6-6 so have the heating off in them hours, think i pay 16.3p per metre cubic of gas with npower +daily standing charge of 25p per day.

the only issue i can think of is my boiler being faulty, and it does seem to send my radiator hot/cold hot /cold in acycle and doesnt mantain temperature consistently.

Ring your energy supplier or get your landlord to check your boiler

Check those tariff figures, and are you referring to pence per cu meter (or p/kwh)?

Prepayment with Ebico for example is I think 5.1p/kwh which works out at approx. 56p/cu meter, they have no standing charge.

For rough conversion of cubic meters of gas to kwh, multiply by 11.16.

My point is 16.3p/cu meter is great! More like an electric prepayment cost/kwh.

(No debt on the meter is there?)

(Is the standing charge for 1 week suddenly taken off the credit on the same day & time every week?)

Edited by FORE
extra thought

HI Doug

Give me a call and i'll call and have a look for you if you've not already sorted.

Regards Don

Does anyone know if you can get a grant to up date your boiler to a more energy efficient one and if I can get cavity wall insulation and loft insulation or do I need to be on benifits

Hi i would get it checked out first tell your gas provider to see if they will check everything out at the meter side. Get the gas boiler checked by a gas safe engineer if the gas company say the meter registration is spot on, cheers Jon at JB Heating.

---------- Post added 02-02-2015 at 18:33 ----------

Hi are the boiler flow and return valves fully open and radiator valves including the lockshield sides.

Vent the radiators, then if still no heat you will need the system looking at. Just out of interest are the radiators old? any chance of dirt and sludge in the radiators, whats the water like coming out of the bleeds, is it black or clear? cheers Jon at JB Heating.