Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi all,

I'm thinking of finally replacing the ancient heating system that came with my house when i bought it. The current system is a very old unreliable boiler in the kitchen, water tanks upstairs. Rather than trying to repair it i want to replace it.

Is it possible for anyone to give me a rough idea of how much it would cost? I thought i'd ask here before getting busy professionals out to quote & wasting their time if i can't afford it yet.

Details are:

Remove old water tanks etc from upstairs.

Run new 22mm(?) pipes from meter in cellar up to first floor, under floorboards & then back down to kitchen underneath. Current pipes are 15mm.

Replace old boiler with new combi.

Flush all heating system etc.

Put in room thermostat as there currently isn't one.

House is a small two bed terrace, single occupant. 5 radiators, one very big one in the lounge. Bathroom has a bath that gets used a couple of times a week & an electric shower.

I'd really like to get rid of the current system as it's so expensive keeping a full tank of water hot in summer just to wash my hands & the dishes!

Any ideas anyone? Or can anyone recommend types of boilers to look at?

Happy to survey installation and provide advice and written quote. Currently recommend Ideal Logic + (7yr warranty) and Baxi Platinum (10 yr warranty) for complete peace of mind. Can't quote blind but £2000 or a little more for a top spec job would be about right, though the BiG companies will charge at least double that. Advice getting a few quotes and take it from there, cheers, Steve

hi, im looking for a qualified reliable fitter to fit my central heating system. I have the boiler and all new radiators. I just want some quotes for the cost of the piping, fitting and registry of the system. Please message me if you can give me a quote or can recommend anyone. Thanks :)

Micky ET fitted new boiler for us &f.i. law last year.He's just done yearly service no hesitation in recommending him.

hi, im looking for a qualified reliable fitter to fit my central heating system. I have the boiler and all new radiators. I just want some quotes for the cost of the piping, fitting and registry of the system. Please message me if you can give me a quote or can recommend anyone. Thanks :)

Difficult/impossible to give any quote blind for such an installation, happy to survey property, offer advice and a free written quote, cheers, Steve

If you need a new boiler installed, look no further than Met Gas Services. They have just installed a new combi boiler for me and the service, promptness and quality of work was second to none!!!

Even fitted a washing m/c supply free of charge !!!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/member.php?u=58408

Thanks again for the recommendation

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 21:40 ----------

Micky ET fitted new boiler for us &f.i. law last year.He's just done yearly service no hesitation in recommending him.

Thanks for the recommendation

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 21:40 ----------

Happy to come and give you a free Quote

Thanks

Mike

Met Gas Services

---------- Post added 08-07-2014 at 21:42 ----------

Hi! Had new Greenstar 28i Junior Combi boiler just fitted. The pump will come on and run for a few minutes, then intermittently there will be water leaking from bottom of boiler (only last a few seconds) I have noticed there is plastic pipe going into boiler but it is not connected to anything. Is there any connection (or not) between this and the leak?

Sounds like the condensate pipe has not been connected get the original fitter back I would also check their gas safe number with gas safe if you need any help please email me

My boiler leaks (drains) for no reason from the plastic (outlet) pipe which is connected to the boiler. Then it stops working.

I feed fresh water and the boiler starts working again. Then it drains off again within 6-7 hours

Any advice?? Many Thanks

My boiler leaks (drains) for no reason from the plastic (outlet) pipe which is connected to the boiler. Then it stops working.

I feed fresh water and the boiler starts working again. Then it drains off again within 6-7 hours

Any advice?? Many Thanks

Any 'plastic outlet' would be a condensate waste and this would not necessarily cause the problem you describe. It will more likely be discharging from the pressure release valve, this outlet should be copper, that would be more typical of your pressure drop problem, which would be a PRV faulty discharge or expansion vessel problem/ pipe to expansion blocked. Easy to diagnose and rectify. Happy to have a look if you like, cheers, Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. There was a leak from the copper outlet but this has now stooped.

All the water is now coming from the condensate waste (plastic outlet). Eventually the system runs out of water in a couple days..

Is this unusual?

Thanks for the reply Steve. There was a leak from the copper outlet but this has now stooped.

All the water is now coming from the condensate waste (plastic outlet). Eventually the system runs out of water in a couple days..

Is this unusual?

Whilst the boiler is operating then water will run down the condensate pipe, this is a normal by-product of condensating boilers, condensate is not a leak and is totally unrelated to any pressure drop. The water that comes from the copper discharge pipe (PRV discharge) IS the one responsible.....it will stop (as you mentioned) but this is because the water has escaped and the pressure has dropped. When you top up the pressure and then operate the boiler this pipe will discharge as the pressure rises, but this is usually during CH operation. Hope this helps :-)

Hi again Steve,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have constant drip from condensate pipe at the moment (even when the boiler is not operating).

There is no discharge from the copper pipe at the mo.

I do understand when you say condensate is not a leak.

But I feel that the pressure drops because the system lose water through plastic pipe. As I said water from condensate pipe is non stop...

Regards

Hi again Steve,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have constant drip from condensate pipe at the moment (even when the boiler is not operating).

There is no discharge from the copper pipe at the mo.

I do understand when you say condensate is not a leak.

But I feel that the pressure drops because the system lose water through plastic pipe. As I said water from condensate pipe is non stop...

Regards

Must admit don't expect condensate to drip when boiler not in operation, sounds very strange :suspect: