Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Should be ok as long as you leave suitable access for servicing and repairs. It's only like having one in a bedroom or kitchen

Thank you for your answer. It can stay where it is then

My sister has an old boiler sounds like the pipes are banging when it tries to switch itself on.

She is just waiting untill it totally breaks until she does something. Could she get a new control unit now. She does not live in this area, so not looking for quotes.

It does just keep going ;)

It could just be air or lack of water has she tried filling the systems and bleeding the radiators?

Mike

Hii

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement gate valve for my central heating pipework? British Gas are contracted to repair same, but are giving me the run-around, saying they haven't got, and can't get hold of a replacement gate valve for the particular size of my pipe, which is imperial three quarter inch. So they want to cobble together a gate valve 3mm larger with either an olive to stop the gap, or PTFE tape. The system is operating on a lower pump setting at the moment, due to an over-pumping situation, so I'm wondering about the strength of the BG solution once back up to higher pump setting.

Are they feeding me a line just to get me off their job list? They have passed me from engineer to engineer so far, no one wants to do the job really, it means draining the whole system of 30 rads because they can't bung the 10mm overflow pipe successfully. (Side issue)

Surely BG should keep some older fittings in stock to cover older systems, or not take the contracts on in the first place?

I have seen what I think is the right spec gate valve (per their description) on Ebay, yet they say they are no longer made. So that is not true for a start. Very pushy engineer trying to make us accept a bodge job to suit his own pressures they are now under from BG.

So I've told them about the Ebay ones, and said I will buy one myself from somewhere. Does anyone know where I might get a 22mm x three quarter inch red gate valve, besides Ebay. Reluctant to buy from Ebay. Don't know where the 22mm part comes in, as the pipe is three quarter inch all along.

Edited by Jeddo

Hii

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement gate valve for my central heating pipework? British Gas are contracted to repair same, but are giving me the run-around, saying they haven't got, and can't get hold of a replacement gate valve for the particular size of my pipe, which is imperial three quarter inch. So they want to cobble together a gate valve 3mm larger with either an olive to stop the gap, or PTFE tape. The system is operating on a lower pump setting at the moment, due to an over-pumping situation, so I'm wondering about the strength of the BG solution once back up to higher pump setting.

Are they feeding me a line just to get me off their job list? They have passed me from engineer to engineer so far, no one wants to do the job really, it means draining the whole system of 30 rads because they can't bung the 10mm overflow pipe successfully. (Side issue)

Surely BG should keep some older fittings in stock to cover older systems, or not take the contracts on in the first place?

I have seen what I think is the right spec gate valve (per their description) on Ebay, yet they say they are no longer made. So that is not true for a start. Very pushy engineer trying to make us accept a bodge job to suit his own pressures they are now under from BG.

So I've told them about the Ebay ones, and said I will buy one myself from somewhere. Does anyone know where I might get a 22mm x three quarter inch red gate valve, besides Ebay. Reluctant to buy from Ebay. Don't know where the 22mm part comes in, as the pipe is three quarter inch all along.

Best solution is to drain the system to the required level for the work, then fit solder joints, imperial to metric, thus allowing you to fit an available 22mm gate valve. Happy to view your installation and provide a written quote, free of charge, cheers, Steve

You can get 3/4" olives from plumbers merchants to replace the ones that come with a 22mm gate valve

Hi,

We have an oil fired boiler which has stopped working. Can anyone recommend a good plumber with the relevant accreditations as I am told a gas engineer would not be qualified to do the work so need to know where to look. Would rather ask here than yellow pages.

Any recommendations?

Plumber/Engineer must be OFTEC registered to work on your boiler, try this search if you don't have any replies to your post.

https://www.oftec.org.uk/Consumers/FindTechnician

Best solution is to drain the system to the required level for the work, then fit solder joints, imperial to metric, thus allowing you to fit an available 22mm gate valve. Happy to view your installation and provide a written quote, free of charge, cheers, Steve

Gate valve in cellar, on return near boiler, so full drain of 30+ rad system necessary (as mentioned) as they can't seem to bung the 10mm overflow (as mentioned). Olives idea theirs too. I want to first try and buy a gate valve to fit the pipe I have before going down the olives route. The question was does anyone know where I can get one? An old established plumber's merchants somewhere who might have one at the back in a drawer?? Can anyone suggest an old established plumbers merchants in Sheffield?

BG say they will fit it if I do manage to get one.

Edited by Jeddo

Wether you manage to get a 3/4 gate valve (which I very much doubt) the system will still need draining down.

Like as previously mentioned I would just fit a 22mm gate valve with 3/4 olives.

The olives are just slightly thicker to take up the difference. It is not a bodge that is what they are designed for.

With 30+ radiators on the system and the valve on the return to the boiler bunging the 15mm cold feed and 22mm open vent is very unlikely to work ( it uses vacuum to suspend the water) and it would still be a full drain down unless the engineer fancied getting wet.

Is the gate valve leaking? Why does it need replacing?

Regards Chris

---------- Post added 13-05-2017 at 20:42 ----------

I've just had a look on eBay and all the ones that came up are bsp so with an internal thread. Dependant on the type of valve that is fitted I'm quite sure the thread is the wrong way round.

You usually only see that type on 28mm+ valves. (Unless it was in a commercial property.

I moved house last year ,the heating was shot so I had a new money saving condensing boiler fitted. but my water bill has almost doubled ,is this normal or did I have a cowboy plumber to fit it?

I moved house last year ,the heating was shot so I had a new money saving condensing boiler fitted. but my water bill has almost doubled ,is this normal or did I have a cowboy plumber to fit it?

It depends how may shower etc you are having,

Have you looked a flue gas recovery system this may decrease the amount of water you have to run through to get it hot.

Also look at the pipe runs and see if they can be re directed and shortened.

My ideal logic boiler seems to be very hit and miss with hot water,sometimes its red hot sometimes just nothing ,any ideas on problem

My ideal logic boiler seems to be very hit and miss with hot water,sometimes its red hot sometimes just nothing ,any ideas on problem

Hi without fully testing can't be 100% but I would say the turbine wants replacing we have changed loads for hot water issues on the Logic boilers cheers Jon.