Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Does the 'circa 7 year' white goods life span also apply to boilers?

Our Vaillant has been showing an F22 error every morning for a few weeks, and needs filling to get rid of the 0.3 (bar?) warning.

It's just over 5 years old, and has only been controlled by a thermostat, rather than the rather erratic timer.

Check you have no leaks. Even a drip drip can affect the pressure retention.  Hope its not under the floorboards....

Fairly sure I get that on mine. In the Winter it's nigh on every day the fault shows and I have to fill the system. During the warmer months, it never happens, even if the heating comes on every now and again.

I just turn the 2 valves and top it up. I've had engineers out 3 times now and they can't find the fault. No leaks on the system but I do hear a low banging noise from the boiler at times. A couple of things mentioned that could be fault was the vessel (whatever that is) and the pressure relief valve.

Mine is also just over 5 years old, last engineer came and did the service and gas test a month ago. As it gets colder, I'll soon find out if it's fixed!

Edited by zach

could be the pump or the pump lead may be defective, we usually google possible faults prior to calling engineer out

There’s a plastic filter cup under the boiler see if it’s got sediment in.

1 hour ago, zach said:

Fairly sure I get that on mine. In the Winter it's nigh on every day the fault shows and I have to fill the system. During the warmer months, it never happens, even if the heating comes on every now and again.

I just turn the 2 valves and top it up. I've had engineers out 3 times now and they can't find the fault. No leaks on the system but I do hear a low banging noise from the boiler at times. A couple of things mentioned that could be fault was the vessel (whatever that is) and the pressure relief valve.

Mine is also just over 5 years old, last engineer came and did the service and gas test a month ago. As it gets colder, I'll soon find out if it's fixed!

Yes, we had it serviced 4/5 months ago as well.

In fact, the F22 problem started appearing sporadically a few days afterwards, but has gathered momentum since having the heating on.

I gather that Vaillant aren't a particularly 'respected name' to those in the trade, so perhaps 5 years is about their limit.

5 minutes ago, *Wallace* said:

There’s a plastic filter cup under the boiler see if it’s got sediment in.

The thing with the bar magnet in?

All cleaned and flushed out during the service, and we do it every 3 months-or-so as well.

No it’s to the right of that as you look at it sort of clear plastic container full of water usually sediment in the bottom of it. Needs a half turn to drop it out and clean up then fill it with water and replace.

I think it’s called a condensation trap.

Edited by *Wallace*

6 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

ED4-BA100-5379-4821-BE8-F-4-FDDC8-B6-EC7

Can't see anything like that, I'm afraid.

Might it be in an enclosure, I wonder?

Ok our Vallient does but you only see the bottom clear plastic part.

4 hours ago, *Wallace* said:

Ok our Vallient does but you only see the bottom clear plastic part.

OK - many thanks for that.

Will have another good look in daylight.

Anyone Recommend someone to do a boiler service on a vaillant ecotec pro28, about 5 year old

thanks