Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

If you have traditional system and want to move to a combi then it isn’t as straightforward as just swapping out the boiler. Your central heating system will be under more pressure for a start so if your current pipe work isn’t up to it, it will start leaking. You might end up changing all the pipe work for your central heating to be able to accommodate a combination boiler. 

Another disadvantage is if you have more than one shower in the house for example. You might not be able to have enough hot water to have two showers running at the same time. 

Combi boilers are cheaper to run because you don’t have to maintain a constant tank of hot water. Apparently, they don’t have the longevity of a traditional boiler. 

Edited by ez8004

2 hours ago, ez8004 said:

If you have traditional system and want to move to a combi then it isn’t as straightforward as just swapping out the boiler. Your central heating system will be under more pressure for a start so if your current pipe work isn’t up to it, it will start leaking. You might end up changing all the pipe work for your central heating to be able to accommodate a combination boiler. 

Another disadvantage is if you have more than one shower in the house for example. You might not be able to have enough hot water to have two showers running at the same time. 

Combi boilers are cheaper to run because you don’t have to maintain a constant tank of hot water. Apparently, they don’t have the longevity of a traditional boiler. 

Thanks to update to my original post we just have the one shower. Would welcome any further views.

It seems all the ex council  3 bed semi houses had a traditional system. Does anyone know does the council change the conventional systems to combi's on their properties?

were is the best place to go

hello , I have an alpha cb24 that is 15 years old. the domestic hot water is not hot. the problem appears to be either the heat exchanger or the diverter valve. heating is not a problem. so, do I consider a repair job or am I looking at a boiler replacement. ? thanks.

11 minutes ago, buddysbuddy said:

hello , I have an alpha cb24 that is 15 years old. the domestic hot water is not hot. the problem appears to be either the heat exchanger or the diverter valve. heating is not a problem. so, do I consider a repair job or am I looking at a boiler replacement. ? thanks.

15 years old is towards the end of it's lifespan, see link below.

https://www.gocompare.com/covered/2013/12/when-should-you-replace-your-boiler/

In the video, the boiler required a new diaphragm, I'd make sure the repair was done by a qualified engineer if you go that way.

Get an engineer in to diagnose the problem, if it's a cheap fix then you're ok.

If it's an expensive part maybe it's not worth it.

Hi

looking for qualified boiler repair.  I have a procombi boiler, I think there may be a problem with the diverter valve?  It all works fine when on, heating and hot water. But when the heating is off and there is a demand for hot water, the hot water is going into the radiators and not the tap.  It's not a mega emergency, but does need fixing..

Im in S6.  Can anyone recommend  someone. Thanks.

Hi there

Can anyone give me the contact details of a good gas safe engineer. My son and I have  boilers that needs servicing.

Hello all, first of all, a thank you to everyone who has been helpful and contributing to this thread.  Our baxi Solo 3 50 Pfl is not working. One plumber we hired thought it was the fan and fitted a new fan but it's still not working, so he said he'll come back to fit a new fan censor, as he thought that might be the fault. But on the day he didn't show up and later told us he had an accident and couldn't come and finish the job. It happened just before Christmas. Have not been able to get hold of him since. Then we got a very helpful gas engineer to come and look at it and he thinks it's the circuit board that's gone faulty, due to the damp conditions in the cellar, where the boiler is.  Can anyone help please? Thanks. We are in s6. Jo

Not seen an updated post for years, any recommendations for a boiler service on a 2 year old boiler?