Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Probably full of sludge. Could do with taking off and flushing through. Also a system filter is a good idea such as a Magnaclean Pro2

Thanks for the reply, will add it to my list of things to do.

Not looking for any recommendations but how much is a reasonable charge to replace one combi boiler with another in the same location? Just looking for a ball park figure so that I can budget appropriately.

Hi ,

My elderly Mum is having British Gas round with a view to replace her Gas CH boiler, they are coming today, and she will not decide there and then, but I just wondered if anyone could give me a sort of up to date approx cost for both traditional and combi.I don't live near her and want to prevent her being ripped off. So if anyone out there has had this work done fairly recently, or any fitters etc could just give me an off the top of the head idea, that would be good, then when she tells me what they have priced it at, I can advise her.

Thanks for reading.

Hi ,

My elderly Mum is having British Gas round with a view to replace her Gas CH boiler, they are coming today, and she will not decide there and then, but I just wondered if anyone could give me a sort of up to date approx cost for both traditional and combi.I don't live near her and want to prevent her being ripped off. So if anyone out there has had this work done fairly recently, or any fitters etc could just give me an off the top of the head idea, that would be good, then when she tells me what they have priced it at, I can advise her.

Thanks for reading.

It may help fitters etc if you mention what boiler is in now and will it be similar that goes in.

Ideal 24kw combis are about £550 at A&C bathrooms, we had one fitted recently, but the gas safe guy is a friend for the fitting cost.

Just make sure she doesn't decide today - I wouldn't trust BGs prices!

The system might need an updated thermostat, plus alterations to the pipework if a combi is fitted in place of an existing system boiler, all of which will add to the cost. BG are at the upper end of prices.

In September last year we had our basic system boiler in the kitchen and tanks in the loft removed. We had a new vaillant condensing combi boiler with 10 year warranty fitted in the upstairs airing cupboard with a new flue out through the roof. Operated via a honeywell wireless programmable thermostat. The old flue was removed from the kitchen wall and bricked up externally and the hole internally blocked up with a cut section of blockwork. I'm sorry but I can't remember the power output, - if it helps it is a fairly standard 3 bed terrace (1 large double, 1 small double and 1 small single bedroom, downstairs the house has living room and then kitchen/diner.Late 1960's house which has been cavity wall filled and insulation in the loft, all double glazed.

Total cost was £3000 and should have included a new gas supply pipe from meter to new boiler location but was found not to be necessary. I was told this was a very good price by several people who should know a lot more about it than I do.

Hope that helps.

I have an Ideal Boiler that is needing it's 2nd year service. I live in Hillsborough close to Sheffield Wednesday Football Ground if anyone has any local recommendations please.

There’s a 2017/18 tradesman recommendations megathtread on here, look at that.

Hi

We have a Baxi combi. Just recently the hot water tap in the kitchen doesn't fire up the boiler (occasionally it does). The central heating works fine and upstairs tap still gets hot.

The water flow from the kitchen tap seems ok, not slow or anything.

Hopefully it's something simple?

Thanks Duckegg

Hi-Just bumping this up as didn't get any replies and upstairs tap now is affected too.

Do I need someone to look at it or is it an easy thing please?

Thank you

Looking for recommendations and cost to service a system boiler, just moved in and the previous owner couldn't supply evidence of any services carried out, so no idea when it was last done.

Located in Scholes Rotherham S61

Please remember the megathreads are for recommendations and advice.

No actual jobs or quotes, that’s what the Vacancies section is for.

Also please no touting for work in response to posts wanting recommendations etc.

Thank you.

I am a tenant and my boiler keeps stopping in this extreme cold weather, i have read it could be the pipe freezing outide the house, is this correct, if so it would be hard to get to to it, tbh. It is not brilliant even during normal weather, banging noises, etc, it is a seven year old Combi boiler.

so, no heating or hot water in this weather, crazy.