Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Once the valves are open bleed the radiators whilst power is OFF. when everything is full, unclip the valves, they will naturally spring back to closed position, then turn power on, turn room-stat up and select 'heating on' on the timer, boiler should then fire up if gas is on

Thanks so much for your help. Plenty to tinker with later.

One last Q. When you say power off.

Do you mean just the boiler is switched off?

or ... boiler and pump are switched off?

or ... power to entire house is off?

Hoping its not the later, it'll be dark and creepy.

Thanks so much for your help. Plenty to tinker with later.

One last Q. When you say power off.

Do you mean just the boiler is switched off?

or ... boiler and pump are switched off?

or ... power to entire house is off?

Hoping its not the later, it'll be dark and creepy.

The fused spur to the right hand side of the timer in your second picture should isolate the power to the heating system/boiler

During the last week or so our water is red hot even though we haven't had the boiler on for one or two days. Could the immersion be on even though the switch for it is off? Or can water stay piping hot in the tank for two days?

During the last week or so our water is red hot even though we haven't had the boiler on for one or two days. Could the immersion be on even though the switch for it is off? Or can water stay piping hot in the tank for two days?

Typically your cylinder will cool over a few hours, depending on the quality of lagging, but will not remain hot for two days. The water certainly has a heat source, if you are certain the boiler has not been on then it must be the immersion, cheers, Steve

Cheers for not turning up, ignoring my call and voicemail corgigasman. I love waiting in for nothing me.

I am currently having an intermittent problem with a combi boiler whereby the boiler does not power on when turning on the hot water tap. There are no problems with the heating.

It is very strange as the boiler doesn't seem to attempt to light. If I turn the hot water tap on and off a few times it eventually does work but I sometimes have to leave the tap running for a good few minutes for it to work.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or could recommend someone? It is a relatively old boiler, Alpha CB28X.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi I'd be happy to call out and take a look. Please call or text 07946515897

Regards

Gerry

Hi I'd be happy to call out and take a look. Please call or text 07946515897

Regards

Gerry

Brilliant, thank you. I'll get in touch

Mark

---------- Post added 24-04-2017 at 12:48 ----------

Massive thanks to Gerry Simpson for sorting out my boiler. Fantastic service. Gerry was a friendly guy, arrived when he said he would and did a great job. Would highly recommend.

Hi,

We have an oil fired boiler which has stopped working. Can anyone recommend a good plumber with the relevant accreditations as I am told a gas engineer would not be qualified to do the work so need to know where to look. Would rather ask here than yellow pages.

Any recommendations?

My sister has an old boiler sounds like the pipes are banging when it tries to switch itself on.

She is just waiting untill it totally breaks until she does something. Could she get a new control unit now. She does not live in this area, so not looking for quotes.

It does just keep going ;)

Quick question for you gas guys

Thinking of converting a loft in to a working area to do paper work etc ,at the min there is a combi boiler up there ,would it have to be moved at all or is it ok where it is

Should be ok as long as you leave suitable access for servicing and repairs. It's only like having one in a bedroom or kitchen