Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

If the radiator has been off all summer, it could be the pin on the trv stuck down ry some Wd40 or similar. If it is air locked if you turn all the other radiators of it should push it through that one. If you need us to call round please call me

Thanks

Mike

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 19:08 ----------

Do any of you gas guys service gas fires ? I'm getting quite a few customers just moved in to a new house, don't know when the fire was last used let alone serviced.

Thanks.

Rob.

Happy to Help

Thanks

Mike

Even when I have my heating on for a few hours it never gets up to the desired temperature, even on full it's only ever about 18 degrees. The rads are boiling to touch but does this mean they are rubbish rads??

Can anyone advise about this, they are old single panel ones. I don't really know what my boiler type is but it was new a couple of years ago so presuming a fairly reasonable one.

Thanks!

I would carry out heat calculations for each room, im wondering is this a new problem or has it always been like this?

Found a job not long ago all brand new system fitted and when the heating was on all the radiators were blistering hot but rooms were cold.

When we calculated the room heat requirements every radiator was under sized.

If you need any help feel free to call us cheers Jon at JB Heating.

Even when I have my heating on for a few hours it never gets up to the desired temperature, even on full it's only ever about 18 degrees. The rads are boiling to touch but does this mean they are rubbish rads??

Can anyone advise about this, they are old single panel ones. I don't really know what my boiler type is but it was new a couple of years ago so presuming a fairly reasonable one.

Thanks!

Agree with JB above. First check rads are sized correctly. Also check they are not sludged (very cold at bottom). If radiators are all working fine and sized correctly then look to energy loss (draughts/poor insulation)

Thanks!

Is this a new or existing problem if existing it could

Radiators could be under sized most heat calculators are designed for newer type house not terraces which the majority of sheffield housing stock is. I have worked on Heating system for over 15 years in Sheffield most terrace houses need doubles in all rooms.

If new it could be various things and would need further investigation.

Boiler is firing up but no hot water coming out any ideas - we have drained the system today(its still filling up) but if anyone can point us the right direction. The central heating comes on radiators get hot but no hot water from taps.

If it is a traditional system you may have air in the hot water circuit their is sometime a billed nipple on the or near the hot water cylinder.

Welcome to a plumbers worst nightmare something that worked before you started work on it!

Looking for a bit of boiler advice.

I have a Vaillant EcoTech Plus boiler, the pressure was really erratic, would shoot up when the water was heated and drop right down. I often needed to either drain or top it up. No leaks in the house.

Replaced the expansion vessel, it was full of water.

Once replaced it was pressurised to 1bar and the heating put on and water etc. pressure stayed fine.

By the next morning the pressure had crept back up to 2 bar. There is a top up value under the sink that I used to top up the pressure when needed, could it just not be shutting off?

There are two grey valves / taps on the underside of the boiler, they are both in the closed position (for normal operation).

Any ideas?

Cheers

:)

Exapnsion to 2 Bar would be okay under normal circumstances.

It could be

1. the tube between the vessel and the manifold is blocked thus not allowing for expansion

2. the filling loop is passing on the boiler or there is an external one passing that you cannot see

3. the plate to plate heat exchanger is pin holed and allowing cols water in to the heating system

4. some other part has pin holed allowing the same as number 3

5. you have a leak on your system somewhere

---------- Post added 27-10-2014 at 22:27 ----------

Thanks!

Your rads are most likely under sized for your rooms and property size you can use several free sizing guides from the internet. Should you require any upgrades we would be happy to help.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Micky ET

Guest pegmosaic

My Vailant Ecotech is discharging water out of the White plastic pipe that comes from the Right hand side of the boiler, and I need to regularly top it up as well (and also don't have any leaks on the CH). Anyone any ideas?

Thsnks

My Vailant Ecotech is discharging water out of the White plastic pipe that comes from the Right hand side of the boiler, and I need to regularly top it up as well (and also don't have any leaks on the CH). Anyone any ideas?

Thsnks

The white plastic pipe will be the condense discharge and water coming from it is part of the normal operation of the boiler. I could come out this week and have a look at the boiler for you. Thanks, Lee

Thsnks

Happy to have a look the white pipes does have a tendency to slip of the valliants got space tomorrow night give me a call

Thanks

Mike

We live in Hillsborough and in desperate need of a quote for new boiler to be fitted.