Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Yes it is strange. There must be some reason for it:)

Need advice have a ideal combi 35 that when you turn on the hot water the radiators become hot even though central heating turned off on boiler and thermostat turned off. The diverted activator valve has been changed but problem still persists.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Hi all,

Looking at getting combi - can anyone give rough price from past experience

Thanks

Need advice have a ideal combi 35 that when you turn on the hot water the radiators become hot even though central heating turned off on boiler and thermostat turned off. The diverted activator valve has been changed but problem still persists.

Have you not got warranty on this boiler? Happy to take a look for you cheers jon at JB Heating

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 21:54 ----------

Hi all,

Looking at getting combi - can anyone give rough price from past experience

Thanks

Happy to call and give a free quotation cheers Jon.

We've not used our Potterton boiler for over ten years as we couldn't get a part for it and have had bills saying £0 balance, earlier this year we received a bill for £31 which they say was just for having a meter in the porch, either we pay the charge or they will remove the meter.

Anyone else had this experience?

If rads heat when only hw demand then usually can only be diverter but need to also check any programmer or frost setting is not giving a 'rogue' demand too. As JB suggested, any new boiler should still be under warranty so any repair would be covered if the boiler has been maintained

Must admit don't expect condensate to drip when boiler not in operation, sounds very strange :suspect:

thinking possible a pin hole in the main heat exchanger. this would account for the run off down the condensate.

---------- Post added 03-08-2014 at 11:26 ----------

when you say the 3 way valve has been changed do you mean the syncron motor (the top part) or the whole valve. if it was the first one then the valve rubber could still be passing within the brass assembly.

Fitted loads of these boilers has have most the the engineers on here. They are fantastic but unfortunately a modification they made to the boiler ment a new divertor cartridge was fitted for a short period of time before they realised that there was an issue with them.

They have reverted back to the original design now but sounds like you have one of the faulty upgraded cartridges which is a mm short and cause the boiler to stick in central heating.

Give Ideal a call who I'm sure will be more happy to pop out and change the cartridge for you.

My apartment has electric heating - I don't think it's storage heaters or anything like that, just mains powered heaters in each room with a central timer that turns them on and off.

I need to get them repaired as none of the heaters will come on at the moment. It's not the fuse, or anything obvious like that, so it's beyond my ability to fix. Do I need a central heating repair person or an electrician for this? Sorry if this is a bit of a stupid question but searching for electrical heating repairs isn't turning up much other than DIY sites.

Theres a possibility in could be the timer/controller thats at fault and it would need replacing.

Yeah, I guess I need to get somebody to come out and figure out what's wrong with it. Just wasn't really sure who to phone. Guess I probably need an electrician?

Hi we work on this type of heat all the time in the Sheffield apartment blocks, feel free to give us a call. Jon at JB Heating.