Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

If I was you minimo I would complain to the local TSM. (Service manager). I trained and used to work for BG and this is not the way to sell homecare maintenance contracts. When assessing a boiler/heating system any remedial work needed should be told to the customer before signing them up. Then you could choose either to pay BG or get a local engineer to sort out the work and then sign the homecare contract. After the contract is signed if the boiler breaks down the repairs and labour is free covered under homecare. Also a yearly boiler service. For many people homecare is a good deal.

I think this BG engineer has taken advantage to hit his bonus and end of month targets. I,ve worked out my charge which would have been £150 max.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

I just wasn't given any options, it was have the work done or be refused the contract. In hindsight I should have sent him on his way, but I have signed his forms now and paid up. I'm not sure I have any comeback, other than to protest at the whole carry on, which I have done. I await their response with interest, after which I shall take it further if necessary.

I suspect I will just get brushed off, but I'll see. I so wish I had someone to discuss things with before committing myself, but there it is.

I can recommend Intergas boilers. I've had them fitted in two houses and they just run without any fuss. The gas bill went down at both my houses too :)

Their selling point is that they have the minimum of moving parts so there's less to go wrong.

As for British Gas we had a quote of £4500 to fit a new boiler. The Intergas one cost £2000 including fitting.

I just don't believe it!

I put the heating on this morning for a quick blast, only to see the red light flashing. I stopped it by holding it down for a few seconds. Just gone to wash up, light flashing again, only lukewarm water.

I have switched the main power switch off, and left a message on the engineer's mobile.

I just know he will say it was a pre existing fault, but it wasn't doing it before he got his hands on it.

I am proper fed up now. British gas|? I wish I'd never heard of 'em

Thanks Scott

Would you believe it was working ok when the engineer came, we couldn't make it flash. So he has left me his number to call him if it happens again.

Once this little lot is sorted I will wash my hands of BG, even if I lose out on what I've paid for the year.

Hi we moved into a new build property and the bath water is set to a certain tempurture and for me it's not hot enough does anyone no how I can put the tempurture up ??

Is there a dial on your boiler with a pictogram of a tap on it? If so, you can turn the temp up there. Alternatively, if you have a conventional system with an airing cupboard there may be a thermostatic mixing valve in there

Edited by leelister6

Part G of the new building regulations mean it has to have a blending/ mixing valve, this should be set between 35-48 degrees, a quick test with a thermometer should tell you. there is a chance it could be faulty or need adjusting,

Please call us if you require us to attend

Thanks

Mike

I used to work for BG until my wage was changed to that I got the full amount providing I hit so many sales targets they are a joke and most of there engineers don't know there trade. wouldn't be suprised if expansion vessel just wanted topping up but then again theres a lot of engineers who don't even know the correct procees to re charge ie not even draining boiler down first just connect pump and off they go.

hi can anyone help on a landlords cert I got high co/co2 ratio levels on a baxi solo 3 pfl 50 serviced boiler and no changed replaced fan to turret seal and blanking cap and seal still high any suggestions thanks

hi can anyone help on a landlords cert I got high co/co2 ratio levels on a baxi solo 3 pfl 50 serviced boiler and no changed replaced fan to turret seal and blanking cap and seal still high any suggestions thanks

What are readings you got