Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Sadly, I am already trapped. By signing up with BG I can't have any work done by anyone else or the heating contract is void.

I was wondering if the work they say needs doing sounds about right, and would having a filter prevent future problems.

Ok the work sounds right to me I think they are talking about unblocking the pipe to the expansion vessel but it's not 100% that this will cure the pressure issue you are having it may also require the vessel recharging. The price they have quoted is crazy, you could have a new vessel installed for that price of £330 to be honest I hate the extras and prices bg add on to customers when they have them in a contract, cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 17:47 ----------

Plus the addition of a filter will help yes but I would treat the system to some cleaner then inhibitor after cheers Jon.

Edited by JBradleybz

Thanks Jon. They really have us over a barrel don't they. I am an old woman on my own, so I have to accept what they tell me. Well, they've got me for a year, but that's their lot.

I will come back here.

Thanks Jon. They really have us over a barrel don't they. I am an old woman on my own, so I have to accept what they tell me. Well, they've got me for a year, but that's their lot.

I will come back here.

British gas employers also work on comission they have a computer with all there prices on.

How much is the contract worth isit worth voiding i done alot of work alately where people are happy to void there contracts because british gas are stupidly expensive.

minimo, i should play hell with your sister for telling you

minimo, i should play hell with your sister for telling you

We will be having words!!

---------- Post added 28-02-2014 at 22:40 ----------

Jon and Kirkbylad, I will have a look at the t/cs.

The only reason I was looking for a new contract was because Keir were not renewing my contract with them. I am guessing this is because they are in the middle of tendering for new contracts.

I am shocked to see the employees are on commission, I thought they at least could be trusted to be impartial.

Well dont do anything yet and keep your purse closed

Too late I'm afraid, the work was done yesterday. (It had to be or the contract would be void. Oh for the benefit of hindsight)

I have today received a breakdown of the costs.

Kit-flexible hose-manifold £14.66

O-ring 2.62x9.93 £1.25

Pressure relief valve - Caleffi 312439 £15.41

Labour one hour - 3 £264.00

Labour half hour - 1 £44.00

Total £339.32 includes VAT

Well it's done and paid. Another one to chalk up to experience. I shall be looking at the t and c's to see what happens if I opt out now.

I see from another thread on here that Keir have got the contract, so perhaps they will be restarting their boiler service contracts.

I would be interested to know if any smaller companies offer annual boiler service contracts, and if so on what terms.

Too late I'm afraid, the work was done yesterday. (It had to be or the contract would be void. Oh for the benefit of hindsight)

I have today received a breakdown of the costs.

Kit-flexible hose-manifold £14.66

O-ring 2.62x9.93 £1.25

Pressure relief valve - Caleffi 312439 £15.41

Labour one hour - 3 £264.00

Labour half hour - 1 £44.00

Total £339.32 includes VAT

Well it's done and paid. Another one to chalk up to experience. I shall be looking at the t and c's to see what happens if I opt out now.

I see from another thread on here that Keir have got the contract, so perhaps they will be restarting their boiler service contracts.

I would be interested to know if any smaller companies offer annual boiler service contracts, and if so on what terms.

That Labour rate is crazy, how on earth can they justify that! no profit yeah right just look at centrica who own them !

£340 to clean out the flexi to the expansion vessel and add a prv. What on earth has happened to BG...done many of them on worcesters when I worked for them. Its a bit of a tight squeeze but after the first pretty straightforward job. not that often you needed to replace the flexi, just clean out the gunk and replace the o ring. re-pressurise the exp vessel and refit the prv.

I could do it in a hour, hour and a half tops.

andy

profiteering Andy, particularly from the elderly !