Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Hi auto98uk, happy to take a look for you a give you our thoughts on what you need. Please give us a call.

Cheers

Lee

Looking for someone to fit a new boiler, depending on cost to supply, though we might get that ourselvers depending on the price.

Currently got a worcester bosch 28i which was discontinued in 2005 (and appears to be beyond repair) so looking for recommendations to replace it (obviously if it could use the existing holes so much the better) and for fitters to install it. It feeds underfloor heating which is pretty long (though this has its own pumps) as well as the normal taps etc, so needs to be a decent size.

edit: oh, and of course needs to be available pretty quickly since we don't have hot water or heating at the moment.

Happy to call round and give you a free quote many thanks Jon at JB Heating Services.

I would rather have the Ideal Logic plus but thats my opinion, interested

to know why you would like the intergas i looked into one for a customer last

year and to be honest i thought it was not that great.

Do they stipulate it has to be one of there registered certified engineers

as when i asked them last year they said any gas safe engineer could fit one.

The person who fitted the Intergas boiler in a previous house was Intergas trained, but you're probably right, any competent fitter could install one.

We want Intergas because we were very happy with it. It gets good reviews on various sites and forums too.

Why is the Ideal Logic better?

Hi we rate the Ideal Logic as the best just from our work with them, we fitted

around 80 since the start of last year and we have never had any issue

with any of them.

There are also the ones we service which we did not install and they also

have been really good.

In my opinion they have overtaken Worcester but thats my view cheers Jon

at JB Heating Services.

Quick question here for the experts.

Is it likely that if the pump does not turn off though the timer for our water (not tried heating yet but could also be affected) does, there is a problem with the pump overrun boiler thermostat.?

I know we have had this problem before - pump was running but timer had ended for heating water.

I have had the valves replaced may be a 18 months ago now so do not think it is them- what i did do is just push the black switch across few times and let it go back itself and sometimes it switches the pump off.

Boiler is old, it will be the same one when house was built 1999.

cheers

Quick question here for the experts.

Is it likely that if the pump does not turn off though the timer for our water (not tried heating yet but could also be affected) does, there is a problem with the pump overrun boiler thermostat.?

I know we have had this problem before - pump was running but timer had ended for heating water.

I have had the valves replaced may be a 18 months ago now so do not think it is them- what i did do is just push the black switch across few times and let it go back itself and sometimes it switches the pump off.

Boiler is old, it will be the same one when house was built 1999.

cheers

Dependant upon the boiler it could be pump over run on the circuit it could also be a stray wire in the junction box, could even be a faulty valve so of the cheaper ones don't last 18 months we only fit honeywell can t go wrong with them.

---------- Post added 04-05-2013 at 18:36 ----------

The person who fitted the Intergas boiler in a previous house was Intergas trained, but you're probably right, any competent fitter could install one.

We want Intergas because we were very happy with it. It gets good reviews on various sites and forums too.

Why is the Ideal Logic better?

Just had a similar enquiry from another customer, the price of them isn't bad so is the idea of the 6 moving parts but there is also none moving parts which they don t tend to advertise, When I spoke to them I found them very rude and some what arrogant this leads me to believe that there after care would be the same and its only a 3 year warranty. We are currently fitting the baxi duo tec 28 HEA with a 7 or 10 year warrantee, me and my engineers have now fitted over 300 with very little problems and the after care is next day service. The baxi comes in at round the same price as inter gas with nearly twice as much guarantee. You will also find each installer has there own op ions on boilers so you will make the final choice I'm sure

Good luck

what i did do is just push the black switch across few times and let it go back itself and sometimes it switches the pump off.

cheers

Easy enough to check with a multimeter where the fault lies. Without looking I would still suspect the valves. When you said replaced, was that the whole valve assembly or just the head.

In such an old system there will be loads of crud in the pipework and it sticks to the bung in the valve body. So people will change the valve head and within months the microswitch burns out or sticks in open position.

Hi guys just need a bit of advice I've got a very old boiler non combi and noticed that the pilot light has gone out on it. Tried to re light it and it sparks up ok but when releasing the switch the pilot goes out done this a few times is it likely to be something simple or could it possibly be terminal and as luck would have it money is tight at minute so any advice would be great.

Cheers mark

Hi,

Since we have turned off the heating we have noticed that the radiators are getting very hot when we run the hot water and the hot water does not seem to be getting fully hot - we have a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831. Anyone got any ideas of what it might be and what we could try?

Thanks

Easy enough to check with a multimeter where the fault lies. Without looking I would still suspect the valves. When you said replaced, was that the whole valve assembly or just the head.

In such an old system there will be loads of crud in the pipework and it sticks to the bung in the valve body. So people will change the valve head and within months the microswitch burns out or sticks in open position.

Thanks for getting back (and Mikey ET)

The valves are Drayton and both are fairly new- in fact , we had Dan at City Wide put them in.

It could be the valve as now and again if I push the top switch back/fourth it sometimes turns off the pump running.

From what I recall, replaced whole valve.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/drayton-mid-position-valve-actuator/40818?kpid=40818&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url

Hi,

Since we have turned off the heating we have noticed that the radiators are getting very hot when we run the hot water and the hot water does not seem to be getting fully hot - we have a Vaillant Ecotec plus 831. Anyone got any ideas of what it might be and what we could try?

Thanks

maybe a diverter valve fault but would have to check to say 100% cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

maybe a diverter valve fault but would have to check to say 100% cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Might be Jon - this is the boiler that had a possible divertor valve prob that seemed to go away (either hot water but no heating or heating and no water in Feb):)