Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Thanks to those who responded, it's greatly appreciated.

Leeman came round today and sorted out the problem, many thanks to him for his professional approach, fair price and most of all for making my house warm once again.

boiler now working but require a honeywell 4043 valve 22mm normally closed

22mm Honeywell Two Port Zone Valve normally closed

thought try on here before i order one

£40 mark on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300838711286?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

lucky valve stuck open at mo

Edited by barts96
details

No problem Stockers, glad I could help and I'm sure with that little bit of rewiring it will save you a fortune on your electric bill!!!

Hi all, wondered if anyone could give possible answer to my problem!

Had a leaking radiator fixed last week, all others bled and boiler put back up to correct pressure. It is a Worcester 28i combi.

However since then we only get Luke warm water in the shower, bath and sink upstairs. Downstairs seems fine, boiling water in kitchen. Only way to fix seems to be to turn on the sink cold water whilst in the shower to get hot water and vice versa. Same for the bath!?!

Any ideas what this could be and how much of my christmas funds is about to disappear? :(

Thank you!

Seem to me as if cold supply is passing over to the hot side. The usual suspects for this are mixer taps and mixer showers. I would be thinking the shower. Turning on ur downstairs cold is reducing the pressure and allowing the hot through.

Cartridge maybe needs changing

Seem to me as if cold supply is passing over to the hot side. The usual suspects for this are mixer taps and mixer showers. I would be thinking the shower. Turning on ur downstairs cold is reducing the pressure and allowing the hot through.

Cartridge maybe needs changing

So you think that the issue could be our mixer shower cartridge that may also affect our bath mixer taps? As it is both that have this same problem? And therefore we can just fix/replace the mixer shower unit? Hopefully!?

I did take the end off the mixer shower and there is a lot of lime scale type build up, but since the bath wasn't working either assumed it must be the boiler.

Thanks for your fast response.

Edited by manc80

I wouldn't think boiler prob at this time. its a matter of fault finding. and you say that you have lots of hot water at your downstairs taps. Turning on the cold taps upstairs gives you lots of hot water there. So, without looking at your system i'm thinking that somewhere upstairs the cold supply is overcoming the hot supply. In my experience mixer taps/showers are the main culprits.

I wouldn't think boiler prob at this time. its a matter of fault finding. and you say that you have lots of hot water at your downstairs taps. Turning on the cold taps upstairs gives you lots of hot water there. So, without looking at your system i'm thinking that somewhere upstairs the cold supply is overcoming the hot supply. In my experience mixer taps/showers are the main culprits.

So could the shower mixer affect the bath taps or vice versa? Or is it a million to one that they have both gone at the same time? Just seems crazy that both went at same time where as rest of house works fine! Any way for me to test it at all?

Yes it can. If u think about it cold has more pressure than hot so will pass through ur shower. It's now mixing with the hot and can flow in this mixed state to the rest of the hot taps. Isolate the cold to the shower and see what happens. If still happening isolate cold on bath mixer and see.

Brilliant thanks!! Now to try and find the taps to isolate the water!

Dear All,

Apologies if a bit "off topic", but Just wanted to post a review of the Gas Central Heating system that has been installed by Greenbuy Energy to my Dad's house in the Peak District. This was to replace an existing solid fuel/back boiler system. In summary, these guys were great and I would recommend them without hesitation.

I found them (well, actually their sister company, oneHeating) through the Heating and Hot Water Industry Council website which meant that I was assured of all the accreditation. They were able to do a site visit the next day and their quotation process is very clear; they were also able to help us through a grant application to the A1 scheme which ultimately saved us £520.

Their quote was comparable to a couple of other companies but their customer service was the thing that made the difference. I was always able to get hold of Russell to resolve any queries; Greenbuy were also very accommodating about working around the timescales from National Grid for the gas connection and E.ON for the meter install.

The installation was completed on-time, minimum of fuss and is working great. The old system was decommissioned and taken away. My Dad is ecstatic and I'm very pleased with the quality of work which was provided.

Just in case anyone wonders... I don't get anything for this, and they didn't ask me to write a review. I just was very impressed and hope that someone finds this useful.

Jim

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone with a bit of knowledge can spare me 2 minutes for some advice.

We have a ideal+ heat 18, which is less than 2 years old. It is still under warranty (but can't get through due to the bank hols). It has stopped working, with the error message 'NO WATER FLOW'.

I suppose my question is whether this is likely to be due to the boiler itself (covered under guarantee), or the wider plumbing / heating system (not covered)?

The manual seems to suggest the first thing an engineer would check is whether the boiler and CH system are sufficiently full of water and all isolation and radiator valves are open. Is that something that can have changed without us noticing...there are no obvious leaks etc?

After that, it points to the pump or water sensor as likely issues, which I guess would be covered under warranty as they are both parts of the boiler itself.

A cold house is not a great start to the new year! Thanks in advance for anyone good enough to respond.