Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Thank you corgigasman Steve,For your patience dealing with my boiler,All sorted now ,see you next year for service..:)

No problem, thank you for the feedback, much appreciated :-)

We want to remove an Alpha Easy-Stat 7.2000050 thermostat from our wall. We can't see a way to remove it. I don't want to force it off the wall and damage the wall. There is nothing in the instructions about taking it off the wall. I wonder if anyone knows how it,s done. There are no screws, just the AA battery compartment. Any help would be appreciated. Thank,s.

Can anyone recommend someone who is able to service the electric hot water cylinders in Sheffield City apartments?

Some are vented and some are unvented.

Ideally they need checking each year, and if necessary any repairs need to be made. We currently have a vented cylinder which is not working and have had considerable problems in finding the right tradesman to fix it. I understand that this is not a regular plumbing job

We were told to phone the manufacturer who asked for £228 up front to send someone out to fix it. Now he has been to the property we have been told that was a call out fee and have been sent a report on what needs fixing!

So we are looking for a reliable local person who can help please

---------- Post added 08-11-2016 at 04:18 ----------

Thank you for reply regarding the unvented cylinder which I will respond to.

However, I still have the problem of fixing the vented hot water tanks. I don't understand th difference and why a tradesman can fix one but not the other?

Can anyone help with these please?

We had a modern combi boiler installed 2 years ago, thinking to get the energy bills down and save the polar bears and such, but it's never been reliable.

With a period of between a day and a week it shuts itself down and demands that I follow a reset procedure to refill it to 1 atm/bar and then it starts working again.

Now I think this is to do with air getting into pipework, but I've bled the radiators and there doesn't seem to be much (if any) air in them.

At the system's first service a year ago, the installer ran some leak sealant through the pipework which we think mitigated the problem, but with the cold weather recently it's returned with a vengeance.

It's about time to get the installer back over for a service, so I'd appreciate any thoughts from forumers who have perhaps been through something similar or understand this technology better than me.

Thanks.

We had a modern combi boiler installed 2 years ago, thinking to get the energy bills down and save the polar bears and such, but it's never been reliable.

With a period of between a day and a week it shuts itself down and demands that I follow a reset procedure to refill it to 1 atm/bar and then it starts working again.

Now I think this is to do with air getting into pipework, but I've bled the radiators and there doesn't seem to be much (if any) air in them.

At the system's first service a year ago, the installer ran some leak sealant through the pipework which we think mitigated the problem, but with the cold weather recently it's returned with a vengeance.

It's about time to get the installer back over for a service, so I'd appreciate any thoughts from forumers who have perhaps been through something similar or understand this technology better than me.

Thanks.

You have definitely got a leak if it is losing pressure or the expansion vessel has failed.Is their any water coming out of the pressure relief valve this could indicate a faulty expansion vessel or a vessel that needs repressurising.He put the leak sealant in to try and stop a leak somewhere in the system.

You have definitely got a leak if it is losing pressure or the expansion vessel has failed.Is their any water coming out of the pressure relief valve this could indicate a faulty expansion vessel or a vessel that needs repressurising.He put the leak sealant in to try and stop a leak somewhere in the system.

Thanks. Any suggestion as to likely locations for the leak? Would there be any signs/indications I could look for?

A couple of the radiators are rather old and some of the radiator thermostat jobbies don't work.

Should I be looking for damp/water? Need there be a lot of that to explain this issue?

Thanks. Any suggestion as to likely locations for the leak? Would there be any signs/indications I could look for?

A couple of the radiators are rather old and some of the radiator thermostat jobbies don't work.

Should I be looking for damp/water? Need there be a lot of that to explain this issue?

Check any radiator valves or air vents for drips.If it is losing pressure in a short time then it will be a visible drip.Go round all the radiators with a fine toothcomb and also check for leaks from the boiler itself.Make sure that no screwdriver type isolating valves have been put in the pipework,these always leak.If the pipes run under the floorboards it maybe leaking from a joint under the boards.I will be honest with you finding these leaks can be a nightmare.

Check any radiator valves or air vents for drips.If it is losing pressure in a short time then it will be a visible drip.Go round all the radiators with a fine toothcomb and also check for leaks from the boiler itself.Make sure that no screwdriver type isolating valves have been put in the pipework,these always leak.If the pipes run under the floorboards it maybe leaking from a joint under the boards.I will be honest with you finding these leaks can be a nightmare.

Thanks again.

We have a possible small drip leak (takes days to show) from the old radiator in the hallway. I thought it too small to explain this issue. Just a few drops over a week. The new pipework put in for the boiler looks solid and the boiler itself does too.

I'm thinking to get a quote to replace some or more of the radiators and get double dose of leak sealer. Don't really want to start tearing up floorboards but the problem is infuriating.

Thanks again.

We have a possible small drip leak (takes days to show) from the old radiator in the hallway. I thought it too small to explain this issue. Just a few drops over a week. The new pipework put in for the boiler looks solid and the boiler itself does too.

I'm thinking to get a quote to replace some or more of the radiators and get double dose of leak sealer. Don't really want to start tearing up floorboards but the problem is infuriating.

The radiator leak would explain it,it does not take a lot for the boiler to lose pressure.

The radiator leak would explain it,it does not take a lot for the boiler to lose pressure.

Right. Sounds reasonable.

There's an old looking thermostat/temperature control branded Wickes on one end of the radiator. Just tried turning it on and off a couple of times and got several drips out of it by doing so. Looks like we have a prime suspect.

I'd try replacing it myself, but I have no idea how to keep from flooding the place when I do. I'm thinking of getting the installer to do it when I get him over for a service.

Hi,

I've had a Vaillant boiler for a few years which after its warranty expired, I got it covered with Homeserve that gave me an annual service (that I've never got incidentally) but to my chagrin, I've realised my boiler is covered with Home Emergency with Halifax. However, reading the fine print it suggests regular maintenance and I was wondering if anyone can signpost to a company that might be able to do this? My boiler has had no issues but just want piece of mind if it does that my home insurance won't refuse to look at it without maintenance information. I don't think Homeserve offer an boiler service agreement on its own sadly.

hi,

does anyone know of any local companies still doing free boilers through the eco scheme?