Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

I am going to change my old Potterton Suprima 40 central heating boiler for a Worcester Greenstar

One of the boiler fitters came today to give me a quote and mentioned that the condensation pipe from the boiler would need to empty itself into a roof drainpipe drain about 12 feet away, none of my outside drains are connected to the drain system, they are connected to soakaways based under the garden which I did mention to him.

I never thought of asking him why but I did google it after he left and found out that there is a acid in the water that comes from the boiler.

Is it OK that this polluted water should be emptied into what is a dry drain that really goes no further than my front garden.

My neighbor opposite me had a new boiler fitted a couple of years ago and his pipe from the boiler goes into a round hole about 4 inches in diameter that is directly beneath, he says that it has has limestone chippings in it to neutralize the acid. is this permissible and if so I wonder why it was not mentioned to me.

Any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I am going to change my old Potterton Suprima 40 central heating boiler for a Worcester Greenstar

One of the boiler fitters came today to give me a quote and mentioned that the condensation pipe from the boiler would need to empty itself into a roof drainpipe drain about 12 feet away, none of my outside drains are connected to the drain system, they are connected to soakaways based under the garden which I did mention to him.

I never thought of asking him why but I did google it after he left and found out that there is a acid in the water that comes from the boiler.

Is it OK that this polluted water should be emptied into what is a dry drain that really goes no further than my front garden.

My neighbor opposite me had a new boiler fitted a couple of years ago and his pipe from the boiler goes into a round hole about 4 inches in diameter that is directly beneath, he says that it has has limestone chippings in it to neutralize the acid. is this permissible and if so I wonder why it was not mentioned to me.

Any advice/tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rather worrying that the engineer doesn't know it can't be fitted like that what other corners may he miss

You can run into a designated soak away with lime chippings to neutralise the water as you suggested in your post

Regards Jonathan

Looking for someone to do the yearly service on an Ideal logic+ 30kw combi boiler. It was installed in 2014 so still has 5 years on the warranty. Can't seem to get in touch with Corgigasman, who did a great job of installing it.

Looking for someone to do the yearly service on an Ideal logic+ 30kw combi boiler. It was installed in 2014 so still has 5 years on the warranty. Can't seem to get in touch with Corgigasman, who did a great job of installing it.

Hi Jon here at JB Heating Services we would be happy to service your Ideal boiler, we maintain lots of Ideal boilers in Sheffield many thanks Jon.

More than happy to help

Regards Jonathan Jf plumbing & gas services

More than happy to help

Regards Jonathan Jf plumbing & gas services

Sorted now, but thanks for the offer.

Hi

I need to find someone to fix a noise coming from my boiler when its heating water. Its a Potterton boiler that was fitted into a George Wimpey house in 2003 when it was built.

All the boilers on my street make the same whistling sound at about 10 years old, and so many have been repaired.

So i know that i need replacement Burner Seal Turbulators (baffels in flue!?!!?)

Apparently the parts are quite cheap, its finding an engineer that still works with these makes of boiler that is the problem.

Does anyone know someone that could help please? Im in S6.

thanks

Hi everyone, not exactly a heating or boiler issue- but a shower issue, hoping to get some plumber's advice!

We have a Triton Sirona Satellite shower that has stopped working. We have hot water everywhere else in the house, although in the bathroom tap it's a bit "spitty". The shower pump seems to be OK- we turned off and on and it's making it's quiet rumbly noise. We replaced the batteries in the control unit in the shower, so it's not that. The red light is flashing or constantly on once you've pressed "go".

Any ideas?

Hi

I need to find someone to fix a noise coming from my boiler when its heating water. Its a Potterton boiler that was fitted into a George Wimpey house in 2003 when it was built.

All the boilers on my street make the same whistling sound at about 10 years old, and so many have been repaired.

So i know that i need replacement Burner Seal Turbulators (baffels in flue!?!!?)

Apparently the parts are quite cheap, its finding an engineer that still works with these makes of boiler that is the problem.

thanks

Hi i think you have a Potterton Powermax?

Not sure if your sorted yet but i think you may struggle getting this sorted, please do not let anyone have a go unless they have done the baffles before and have experience cheers Jon at JB Heating Services.

Hi

thanks

If the boiler was manufactured between 2001-2005 baxi will supply and fit for free

And yes the parts aren't relatively expensive but the work required is quire extensive so labour cost isn't cheap

Regards Jonathan

---------- Post added 10-08-2016 at 20:47 ----------

Hi everyone, not exactly a heating or boiler issue- but a shower issue, hoping to get some plumber's advice!

We have a Triton Sirona Satellite shower that has stopped working. We have hot water everywhere else in the house, although in the bathroom tap it's a bit "spitty". The shower pump seems to be OK- we turned off and on and it's making it's quiet rumbly noise. We replaced the batteries in the control unit in the shower, so it's not that. The red light is flashing or constantly on once you've pressed "go".

Any ideas?

Triton will be the best to call they can sell you parts direct.

Regards Jonathan

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to supply and fit a diverter valve on a Gloworm 30cxi? Hot water is working but radiators don't heat up although pump can be heard working. I have breakdown cover but there is an excess to pay so not sure whether to use this or get a repair done when having a boiler service and system flushed.

Can anyone give me an idea of how much it would cost to supply and fit a diverter valve on a Gloworm 30cxi? Hot water is working but radiators don't heat up although pump can be heard working. I have breakdown cover but there is an excess to pay so not sure whether to use this or get a repair done when having a boiler service and system flushed.

Pump could be working but propellor could be snapped

But sounds more like diverted easy to test

Happy to call and do work inbox me your number