Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

We have a combi boiler and struggle to get hot water running a bath or washing pots I'm having to boil the kettle to get a good temp

Any advise please?

Hi there. Not sure if ive put this thread in the right place. Weve got a combi boiler and the hot water taps are running fine and are BOILING but the bath tap runs cool we have turned the boiler temp up max still cool enough to hold hand under .... any ideas why its only the bath ? Or what we can do to fix it. Thanks

If the other taps are fine then it is not a problem with the boiler, if your boiler is, say 24kw then it will only adequately heat a flow of around 10 litres per minute, therefore if you fully open the bath tap you may be getting a flow double that rate, hence your boiler can not keep up and you get tepid water. Try opening the bath tap fully, then gradually turn it down.....I would fully expect the water to be scalding hot as the flow is reduced. The other taps will probably have a lesser flow rate and that is why they have not suffered this problem as the boiler can keep up with the flow

---------- Post added 08-04-2016 at 12:34 ----------

We have a combi boiler and struggle to get hot water running a bath or washing pots I'm having to boil the kettle to get a good temp

Any advise please?

Firstly, turn the hot water temp dial up on your boiler (Some Worcesters are preset and you can't do this) most should have a dial with a tap symbol on the front of the boiler for hot water temp. Secondly, run tap fast then gradually reduce the flow by closing the tap very slowly....as the flow reduces the hot water should get significantly hotter. If this does not work then there may be a gas issue/partial internal blockage or, more likely diverter problem, in which case you would need an engineer. Try the advice above first, it may save you a call-out fee :-) Steve

Hi the water is set at 65 degrees and won't go any higher

I ran tap like you said in the sink that was hot enough to wash hands but no where near hot enough for a bath,we are on a water meter so wasting more than we are using grr,

It's an glow worm 30ci boiler

Edited by suecatsitter
Added info

Hi the water is set at 65 degrees and won't go any higher

I ran tap like you said in the sink that was hot enough to wash hands but no where near hot enough for a bath,we are on a water meter so wasting more than we are using grr,

It's an glow worm 30ci boiler

With the heating OFF, when you run a hot tap for a couple of minutes is there any slight warming of any of the radiators ?

With the heating OFF, when you run a hot tap for a couple of minutes is there any slight warming of any of the radiators ?[/Q

Hi just tried that all radiators are cold,:-(

With the heating OFF, when you run a hot tap for a couple of minutes is there any slight warming of any of the radiators ?[/Q

Hi just tried that all radiators are cold,:-(

Nothing else you can do, I think you probably need an engineer to visit and do some deeper investigating, several causes possible but would require some diagnostics to find the problem

I'm considering a skirting board radiator.

Has anyone got experiences (good and bad) on having these? / Recommendations/warning on installers?

Thanks!

Has anyone had a new boiler installed by ProProperty on Middlewood Rd and can recommend them. Thanks.

Nothing else you can do, I think you probably need an engineer to visit and do some deeper investigating, several causes possible but would require some diagnostics to find the problem

Steve, could you give me a call please? cant seem to get hold of you by phone. I need some work carrying out.

Cheers

Jon

Steve, could you give me a call please? cant seem to get hold of you by phone. I need some work carrying out.

Cheers

Jon

Sent you am e-mail, cheers, Steve :-)

Potterton Promax 15/2 HE Plus - 10years old. Last service a year ago.

For past year once or twice a month the boiler didn’t start the heating in the morning. Pump and motorised valves were working OK. Only after pressing a reset button on the boiler all started up OK (ignition lockout). For some reason this boiler has LEDs hidden, so I never knew what the problem was before.

Yesterday, the boiler wouldn’t start. Reset wouldn’t work. Tried to switch it off from mains, reset it many times, but still no fan or light would start. I removed the cover and noticed. ”Low Electrical Supply” LED warning according the manual, but that only lasted until I reset it few more times and all started working OK.

This morning the boiler wouldn’t start, but this time“Dry-Fyre” fault was showing all day, 2-3min after the boiler power up.

The water is in the system (I checked the loft tank), the pump is spinning. I bled radiators, but I could not get the fan working…. I measured the continuity on the Flow Switch inline connector and there was no resistance when the boiler was off or on. Later in the evening I tried few resets, as we needed hot water, and the boiler lit up as if nothing happened. All radiators are hot and the water cylinder full of hot water for today, but I fear it will be the same story tomorrow.

Is it PCB at fault?

Is there an RGI expert that could diagnose the fault and fix it? I would need a full CH system check as well as it hasn’t been done for long time except the boiler service or bleeding radiators.

How much would it cost?

Thank you.