Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

Deleted. 

Edited by baybo
No jobs

Does anyone know any plumbers in Sheffield that do the affordable energy scheme for free boilers?  I can only find suppliers outside Sheffield and would prefer a local company if at all possible?

Has anyone had any problems with a Vaillant central heating boiler installed on their property?

We have ,5 in various buildings been very very reliable ,most are 7 to 10 years fitted.

I’ve had one for 4 yrs, no probs so far. Fingers crossed.

Hi

I would like to install a Nest smart thermostat and I am doing some research about it. I am not going to fit it myself but will hire an electrician to do the job. But after reading about it, it seems that you need to make sure 1) it fit with your current heating system; 2) the wiring could be complicated (at least to me as a nobody in terms of wiring!)

I don't want to buy it and then realise it is not compatible with my property. So I would to ask how do I check if my property will be ok (I currently have a Worcester combi boiler that has a remote thermostat), and how should I choose electricians for this job, could any electrician do it?

Many thanks!

5 hours ago, jhs2zz said:

Hi

I would like to install a Nest smart thermostat and I am doing some research about it. I am not going to fit it myself but will hire an electrician to do the job. But after reading about it, it seems that you need to make sure 1) it fit with your current heating system; 2) the wiring could be complicated (at least to me as a nobody in terms of wiring!)

I don't want to buy it and then realise it is not compatible with my property. So I would to ask how do I check if my property will be ok (I currently have a Worcester combi boiler that has a remote thermostat), and how should I choose electricians for this job, could any electrician do it?

Many thanks!

If the connection of the Hive thermostat to the boiler requires the removal of a non decrative boiler casing, then a Gas Registered Plumber/electrician should be used for the installation.

26 minutes ago, zaci said:

If the connection of the Hive thermostat to the boiler requires the removal of a non decrative boiler casing, then a Gas Registered Plumber/electrician should be used for the installation.

Thank you. I really don't know if that's the case though I think it isn't. But probably it's better to just get a gas registered electrician anyway

HUI

I need help and advice in relation to a IdealLogic Combi C24(been a good boiler) combi boiler, about 3 years old, quite modern, basicallt all power has gone, nothing, no led, no firing up, the  electonic thing that links up to the remote control is lit up and plugged in, and so it can't be a simple fuse, it is very complicated with my landlord, and it may be I have to contact a gas fitter, but am looking for advice initially.

its urgent I am disabled and need hot water, etc

could the Strom remote switched it off, the flame is lit on it, bit there is no power at all to bolier, nothing

Edited by gamezone07

22 hours ago, gamezone07 said:

HUI

I need help and advice in relation to a IdealLogic Combi C24(been a good boiler) combi boiler, about 3 years old, quite modern, basicallt all power has gone, nothing, no led, no firing up, the  electonic thing that links up to the remote control is lit up and plugged in, and so it can't be a simple fuse, it is very complicated with my landlord, and it may be I have to contact a gas fitter, but am looking for advice initially.

its urgent I am disabled and need hot water, etc

could the Strom remote switched it off, the flame is lit on it, bit there is no power at all to bolier, nothing

Is the Strom controller battery driven?   Could simply be rundown batteries in the controller not getting a signal to the boiler.

it was a loose live wire in the plug!, but it shouldn't powered by a plug, it should be wired to a fused spur, isn't that right?

I did find out the remote can't completely switch off the bolier, according to the manufacturers.

Edited by gamezone07

Hi gamezone is that lamp standard still working ?

You are right should be on a spur fuse but we know the house electrics are a bit on the unusual !